Single Seat Firefly

Started by KJ_Lesnick, July 03, 2016, 10:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wuzak

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on July 16, 2016, 05:51:42 PM
Quote from: wuzak on July 16, 2016, 01:46:33 AMLarge ones.
I meant like: Single stage, twin-speed, twin-stage, twin-speed, twin-stage, three-speed

You missed double sided.

Griffons came in all those variations.

Sabres only had single stage, two speed superchargers - but the early ones used double sided impellers (like the Rolls-Royce R).

The Firefly IV was the first production model to use a 2 stage Griffon. The Mk III was to use a Griffon 61, but it didn't go into production.

Earlier models had single stage engines.

All easily found through Google and wiki searches.

kitnut617

Quote from: wuzak on July 16, 2016, 05:56:00 PM

All easily found through Google and wiki searches.

Ed Zackery
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: wuzak on July 16, 2016, 05:56:00 PMYou missed double sided
I didn't know that was a possibility, though I should have...

QuoteSabres only had single stage, two speed superchargers - but the early ones used double sided impellers (like the Rolls-Royce R).
Doesn't a twin-side act like twin-stage?

I checked the data on the Griffon II, and it would appear to have been a single-stage, twin-speed system.

The Rolls-Royce Merlin 60 series were first run in late 1941 and available in 1942 right?  When were the Griffon first available in twin-stage form?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

wuzak

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on July 16, 2016, 06:27:39 PM
Quote from: wuzak on July 16, 2016, 05:56:00 PMYou missed double sided
I didn't know that was a possibility, though I should have...

Well, it is!

QuoteSabres only had single stage, two speed superchargers - but the early ones used double sided impellers (like the Rolls-Royce R).
Doesn't a twin-side act like twin-stage?

No.

I checked the data on the Griffon II, and it would appear to have been a single-stage, twin-speed system.

Correct.

The Rolls-Royce Merlin 60 series were first run in late 1941 and available in 1942 right?  When were the Griffon first available in twin-stage form?

The first two stage Griffon was the 61. It was being run in 1942.

When were the first two stage Griffons available? When was the Spitfire VIIIG being tested and when did the Spitfire XIV enter production?

KJ_Lesnick

The single seat proposal, have you seen any drawings?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.