Done +++ Another Royal Navy Gnat: a flying boat version (Pics @ p.3)

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 07, 2016, 08:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Yes, this looks pretty sexy, even without wings. I actually feel like building a prop from a 60ies James Bond movie - the Gnat is so tiny, and with the planing bottom added this looks very surreal.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 09, 2016, 06:11:39 AM
Leave the wings off, paint it blue, head for Connistone and World Water Speed record here we come  ;D

Fantastic work

And Campbell's Bluebird really DID use an Orpheus engine from a Gnat too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 09, 2016, 01:20:39 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 09, 2016, 06:11:39 AM
Leave the wings off, paint it blue, head for Connistone and World Water Speed record here we come  ;D

Fantastic work

And Campbell's Bluebird really DID use an Orpheus engine from a Gnat too.  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, Campbell's Bluebird did become airborne.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Dizzyfugu

In the meantime... wings! I used the OOB parts, but extended the span because, with the deeper fuselage, the originals looked a bit flimsy. I added plugs at the wing roots (hidden under several layers of putty). These are actually leftover parts from a more than 35 years old Matchbox F-14. From above and without the tail, this looks a bit like a Me 163B?

A Gnat floatplane (WiP) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

A Gnat floatplane (WiP) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 10, 2016, 01:27:48 AM
In the meantime... wings! I used the OOB parts, but extended the span because, with the deeper fuselage, the originals looked a bit flimsy.

Always a good idea............  ;) ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Of course... but I don't thing that these few milimetres actually please your eye? Anyway, more progress; the stabilizers (from a MiG-15) went onto the fin, with an aerodynamic body to hold them (a streamlined Mk. 82 bomb):

1:72 Folland Fo-150 - a Gnat floatplane (WiP) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The machine will also receive a beaching dolly for display, from a vintage Revell F-16 kit:

The stabilizer floats caused some headaches. At first I intended to use the SC-1's floats with their elegant, single struts under the wing tips, but this was too draggy. So I settled for a semi-retractable solution, which also offers a place for a pair of guns. The OOB slipper tanks were used, but shortened and trimmed at the rear end, while the floats lost their fixed strut and I replaced it with a scratched construction from wire and some leftover landing gear parts:

And, finally, the thing starts looking like a nifty aircraft!  :lol: Painting's next, in classic Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky, but with a high waterline (wing level), more 50ies style.

Cute aircraft, looks better than expected!  :wub:

Captain Canada

What a cute little bugger ! Great work so far. Gnat doesn`t look like a Gnat.

;D
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

loupgarou

Cute indeed. Doesn't look military at all. Red fuselage and white wings or other civilian colours would be striking.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Amazing the coat of paint makes ! She now looks thoroughly pugnacious and very military  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

PR19_Kit

Quote from: nighthunter on July 11, 2016, 09:33:44 AM
She's Looking beautiful!

And almost NOTHING like a Gnat. Excellent stuff there Thomas.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

ericr

beautiful seaplanization

especially the retractable side floats are inventive

:thumbsup:

Steel Penguin

wow that looks good, and as Kit say remarkably un Gnat like    :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!