Single Seat Navy Firefly

Started by Gondor, July 14, 2016, 03:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I've been fitting parts together today as well as performing more sanding. I think its looking good but a coat of primer will let me know for certain and that might not happen for another day. as I think I should get the canopy on soon.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

KiwiZac

There's still time, please do keep at it as I'm excited to see this finished.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Captain Canada

For sure can't wait to see this one.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Well the additions since my last update are that the tail surfaces are on as is the non folded wing, Starboard side. The undercarriage doors have had all their ejector pin marks filled and sanded back leaving mostly painting and assembly of parts.

Gondor

Just had a thought for a second version of this build. If I move the exhausts down to the thrust line of the propeller, removing the lumps on the side of the nose as well and if I fix the wings in position and fill in the joints I could make the aircraft a contender for a late war Day fighter powered by a Sabre engine.

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

The Wooksta!

You could always graft on a Sabre from a Matchbox Tempest, but it would be better starting with a Frog/Novo Firefly I.  Not only is the plastic thicker to withstand heavy sanding, the wing is one piece - ie non-foldable, but also the fuselage is actually wider, enough to take Matchbox Tempest cowl.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 05, 2016, 01:25:00 PM
You could always graft on a Sabre from a Matchbox Tempest, but it would be better starting with a Frog/Novo Firefly I.  Not only is the plastic thicker to withstand heavy sanding, the wing is one piece - ie non-foldable, but also the fuselage is actually wider, enough to take Matchbox Tempest cowl.

Thanks Lee. The wider fuselage will make fairing in the two fuselages easier as well  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Captain Canada

Now that idea would be neat to see. I'm seriously considering digging out a Firefly. 1o days eh ?

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on September 05, 2016, 03:30:37 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 05, 2016, 01:25:00 PM

Thanks Lee. The wider fuselage will make fairing in the two fuselages easier as well  :thumbsup:

Gondor

And the spare bits would make a very good Tempest Mk.III
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

Radiator shape is really different between the Griffon Firefly I and the Tempest III radiator.  May be worth trying though and the Matchbox kit is the best for this type of cross kitting.

Alistair, it also gives you the option of a Centuarus Firefly.

Totally off topic but marginally related - how about if RR HAD got the bugs worked out of the Vulture?  Vulture engined Tempest?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 06, 2016, 07:00:47 AM
Radiator shape is really different between the Griffon Firefly I and the Tempest III radiator.  May be worth trying though and the Matchbox kit is the best for this type of cross kitting.

Alistair, it also gives you the option of a Centuarus Firefly.

Totally off topic but marginally related - how about if RR HAD got the bugs worked out of the Vulture?  Vulture engined Tempest?

Nice idea, slight problem though. I have no Vulture engine at the moment but it does give the option of a whole family of aircraft based on the Firefly family.

Gondor

Captain Canada

It sure does. And that would be great to see and compare them all.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

This morning I managed to get the aircraft primed for the second time and the first time with the majority of the work done to it.

Still a few places that need work, a few of which surprised me a bit.

It's getting there though, abet slower than I would like but working nights does reduce available time. I also have a busy weekend which will not help with this build seeing its the last weekend for the Group Build  :banghead:

I should probably face facts that I am not going to finish this for the Group Build but if I actually act that way then it will end up getting put to one side and never get finished.

On a side note, purchased two NOVO Firefly kits yesterday from ebay so land based versions of the single seat fighter will become a reality in the future.

Gondor

Captain Canada

Funny how it can look almost perfect and then 'boom' where'd that come from !?

Glad to hear you scored a few more kits !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Looking much better than the first PSR round, though! Keep at it, my man!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates