Atlantic Defender

Started by NARSES2, July 16, 2016, 05:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

I keep thinking this will be a Falklands era container ship conversion :)

Great unusual subject

Captain Canada

Looking forward to the pics Chris !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: tigercat on August 08, 2016, 02:39:02 PM
I keep thinking this will be a Falklands era container ship conversion :)

Great unusual subject

No, but I can see why you'd think that. Extended WWII scenario, but if I got another, which I will if I see one, then that's a fantastic idea  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Progress

She has had her transfers. I'd have pitied the poor USN guy who given the USN's directions for applying markings guide was then presented with a Flapjack.  :rolleyes: They drove me mad. The Hasegawa ones as usual took an age to separate from the backing paper, leaving a white dollop behind when they did and then had the cheek to stick to the first thing they glimpsed. The spares box ones decided to come off the backing immediately and curl up and go to sleep  :banghead: Still done now. Also drilled out the 4 0.5" gun ports and did the cartridge ejection slots. To far forward but I've thought of an answer for that  :rolleyes: The real mock-up had 6 0.5" but I think that's over kill in the South Atlantic at this stage of the War.

Now needs matting, undercarriage doors, wheels, small details - like where do the nav lights go ? I think I know - and then finaly canopy, nose dome and prop blades. Not much  :rolleyes:

I have secured a second one which I will get at Telford. FAA as a 1960's style Cam Ship aircraft. Early sidewinders ? Did they need radar by the way ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Sweet. The Atlantic scheme looks unusual on the F5U, I like it a lot.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

She's looking gorgeous Chris.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Interesting build.  I'd have thought light grey uppers was too light for the South Atlantic, myself.  Will be interested when it's finish.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on August 17, 2016, 11:38:23 PM
Interesting build.  I'd have thought light grey uppers was too light for the South Atlantic, myself. 

It's the nearest colour I could find to the actual one used. Must admit I've always found the Atlantic scheme a strange but attractive one. I understand the white lower surfaces but the upper grey's always look way to light.

I've drafted the scenario which explains this ones existence and also hints at it's Folland developments

zenrat

Have you solved the navigation lights conundrum?
I was tidying up today and noticed that the picture on the top of the box you sent me the Sea Fury in it shows lights on the front corner of the tips of the horizontal tails.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

That looks different! I don't think i'll ever like the Flapjack's shape but yours is looking good in those colors! :thumbsup:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 18, 2016, 05:58:04 AM
... I don't think i'll ever like the Flapjack's shape ...

What? You don't like flying lentils? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Flying saucer reports at flooding the phone lines!
This looks awesome! Makes me want to try one.
Late 60s with sidewinders would work. Sidewinder missiles didn't need radar.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 18, 2016, 09:04:33 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 18, 2016, 05:58:04 AM
... I don't think i'll ever like the Flapjack's shape ...

What? You don't like flying lentils? :unsure:

;D nope...
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TimJ