SITE MIGRATION COMPLETED - Post issues here

Started by Supertom, July 18, 2016, 08:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Penguin

been on 1st thing this morning ( UK time) and everything was good and groovy,   went out, shutting PC down and when ive come back the site is recognising me and welcoming me by name, but saying that I must log in to use read recent or post,   re logged ( err whats the password again,  ahhh  set new)  and a large number of the  avatars are little Xs  and now on the post page all the smiles above the post area are Xs as well,  curiouser  and curiouser said Alice.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

overscan

As you should see on another topic the old name (www.whatifmodelers.com, US spelling) expired, so I set up the forum on www.whatifmodellers.com (International English spelling) temporarily pending decisions on name renewal.
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Supertom

Cant' find an option to renew the domain name only, so I've sent a ticket to ICDSoft for clarification. Stand by.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Weaver

It just logged me out automatically, then wouldn't recognise my password. When I did the forgotten password routine I got back in, but everything was in Elkharte default format and there was nothing showing after July 14th. I found my way here because, by sheer luck, I'd forgotten to cancel e-mail notifications and by following the link in one of the post-14th ones (which BTW come from a different address and were in a different part of my Inbox) that worked.

Would it be possible to do a bulk e-mail to all the members telling them about the change to 'LL' ? We don't want to lose anybody who can't figure it out.

UPDATE: the links that got me to the default pre-14th forum are now not working at all. They give me a login screen, but then just take me to a 'domain expired' page.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Thanks for the email, guys! I'd be lost without you! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Ah, in view of Old Wombat's comment about the e-mail, scrub my suggestion: you already did it!

It was lost in the blizzard of thread notifications in my inbox, hence why I didn't notice it - my apologies.  :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Supertom

OK, fixed. Now you can get to the site using Ye Olde Imperial spelling or Ungrateful Former Colonial spelling.

Nick

I'm not sure what happened in between but the original site is hardly showing up for me. Something has broken with the software and all I see is garbage and a broken layout.

Supertom

This happens every now and then on websites that has a fair amount of graphical content (ergo any website that has a GUI). I wonder if there's some bandwidth getting bottlenecked somewhere. Give it 2-3 minutes and refresh the page.

loupgarou

I tried the "old" address but it looks to me as it's stopped a few days ago. For example, the threads concerning the migration and the expired domain don't show at all. Last posts appear to be from july 14.
Also, if the 2 addresses point to the same site, why the other one is in Elkarta green? Or, the old address got linked to the test version? I never changed anything in my list of sites.
And, it refuses again my password etc.., so I'll stay with the "ll" one.  :smiley:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

The Wooksta!

Have to say I detest the Elkarta setup with a passion few here could dream of.  Nowhere near as user friendly as before and the colour hurts my eyes. 

If we're going down that route, I can see me jumping ship quite soon.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

overscan

The decision has been made to stick with SMF. This is SMF 2.0, whereas we were running SMF 1.1 which was rather old now.

We will upgrade to SMF 2.1 when it is released which will give many of the benefits of Elkarte with a less radical interface redesign.
"What if?" addict

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

overscan

Quote from: Nick on July 25, 2016, 11:46:24 AM
I'm not sure what happened in between but the original site is hardly showing up for me. Something has broken with the software and all I see is garbage and a broken layout.

Fixed now.
"What if?" addict

Steel Penguin

Just arrived for my morning read, and found that I had been logged out again ( no welcome SP on the front page either ) , logged back in and things seem to be ok. 
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!