Turned metal pitot tubes

Started by rickshaw, July 23, 2016, 08:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I have been using recently turned metal pitot tubes in 1/72.  They definitely add something to a model, make it's nose slimmer and they are often turned in the complex shapes the real pitot tubes use.  I have used them on F-106, Mirage 2000, Mirage III and other models.

I buy them from EvilBay for a few dollars (Australian) and they are well worth the price.    :thumbsup:

My only concern has been the fragility of their mounting.   They are sometimes easily knocked off! 

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

I'm a big fan of the Master turned brass stuff too, it really adds to the final look of the model, and they aren't that expensive.

If they'd have done the 20 mm cannon set for the Shackleton earlier it'd have made adding the guns to my Northrop Northampton a lot better too, perhaps I'll update it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Ive used their BAC Lightning probe on most of my recent Airfix builds. They are very good for the job.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

DogfighterZen

Ya, me too. Although i haven't used any yet, i've bought a few, for the Mirage III Mig-29 and a bunch for my Tamiya and Hasegawa F-16 kits. Also bought the A-10's GAU-8, excellent stuff. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Must admit they do look good. I was looking at some in a magazine the other day which came with separate resin bits for all the vanes and what nots that seem to be stuck on the end of a lot of modern Russian types. Quality makes your mind boggle.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

With recommendations as those above I will probably invest in a few for specific aircraft.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

What metal are they made from please?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on July 25, 2016, 03:45:48 AM

Brass generally but I've noticed a few seem to be silver in colour so I'm guessing steel?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Thanks.  I have a lathe, I may get some brass and have a go making some.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on July 25, 2016, 08:38:12 PM
Quote from: zenrat on July 25, 2016, 03:45:48 AM

Brass generally but I've noticed a few seem to be silver in colour so I'm guessing steel?

Yup I've noticed that and it seems to be more of them. The ones that get me are the gun barrels, absolutely fantastic but in 1/72  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Those won't be easy to do on a lathe, the material's so thin the pressure from the tool is likely to bend it.

zenrat

Quote from: Hobbes on July 26, 2016, 08:58:30 AM
Those won't be easy to do on a lathe, the material's so thin the pressure from the tool is likely to bend it.
Which is why I asked about the metal.  I usually work in aluminium (1/25 car engine pulleys mainly) which would bend like you said.
Fred

Martin H

Quote from: zenrat on July 28, 2016, 05:26:01 AM
Which is why I asked about the metal.  I usually work in aluminium (1/25 car engine pulleys mainly) which would bend like you said.

Sound like you need to have a chat with kit ref a supply of unobtainium :D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on July 28, 2016, 05:30:02 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 28, 2016, 05:26:01 AM

Sound like you need to have a chat with kit ref a supply of unobtainium :D

Unobtanium machines quite nicely, so look as you use industrial diamond tooling of course.........  ;)

Regards
Kit