Scale Model World 2016

Started by Martin H, July 24, 2016, 03:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 14, 2016, 02:45:36 PM
Quote from: kitbasher on November 14, 2016, 02:22:20 PM

So totally got the best in show reference wrong.

No you didn't Dave.  ;D

You, Chris and I were all on the same wavelength here I think (a 'red and green' wavelength maybe...... ;)) and everyone else has got it wrong. ;D

Exactly and the winner was on the IPMS Ireland stand  :wub: ;D Mind you I was responsible for the "other" event as well  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Flyer on November 14, 2016, 10:29:54 PM
Great photo's. :thumbsup:

What is this? Obviously based on a Grumman Tigercat but whatever it is now I like it:

Yup one of Harro's (Hobbes) Attracted a lot of attention and may well be responsible for turning one punter in particular towards the dark side. He kept coming back to look at it and we ended up having a long chat, and a tot  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Well finally made it home about 2-00pm yesterday.

Good show, enjoyed it, although it is getting very tiring. The new entrance protocols went very smoothly as far as I was concerned so no moans there. Our hall was a bit chilly, perhaps because the punters tend to pass through it to Hall 1 and start there and by the time they get to us are so knackered they go home !

Far, far to much to see, so I will have missed loads. I note some of the comments on prices but remember lads that the £ has suffered a sharp drop in value and this will effect us to the tune of 15%/20% at least. Next year could get worse, even domestic producers will see sharp cost increases as nearly all of their stuff is tooled/produced abroad and even when not the materials are imported.

I must compliment various members on the provision of single malts and/or clarets  :cheers: Oh and some truly outstanding models.

I note Martin's comments re set up and break down and agree with him. We both thought things would start being broken down at 3.00pm and they were. Never the less it seemed to go well.

The IPMS Europe mob opposite were their usual fun (and provided the Class winner in our unofficial trophy  :angel:) I loved the German Lingerie delivery truck, although I'm convinced if that were on a UK stand the Committee would have the hump. The Fletcher class destroyer on the Austrian stand was also a stand out, that and their German/English notices - "keepun yoursen handun offen our modelsun"  ;D The Italians had their usual coat racks and wonderfull collection of Armani all hung up to view  :rolleyes: plus they had brought some lace embroidered table cloths to lay out their lunch on !

I did take a few pics and will post them up latter.

The worst bit for me was the journey home. Very tired Monday morning and with a very bulky bag (my fault, not heavy but very awkward)it was fun on the train. Train was exceptionally busy and with next to no luggage space, which caused a fair few rows, not involving me I hasten to add as I'd already used my diplomatic skills to sort some stuff out on boarding...seriously. Crossing London to Victoria even at lunchtime is not fun and with stupid idiots just burying their heads in their mobiles whilst walking is even worse than it was  :banghead: When I am Emperor  :mellow:

So a good show with some great models and great people to chat to  :thumbsup: Must admit I may well try and travel a little lighter next year, although there is a chance I may be coming from the opposite direction.

Martin H

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2016, 07:14:52 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 14, 2016, 02:45:36 PM
Quote from: kitbasher on November 14, 2016, 02:22:20 PM

So totally got the best in show reference wrong.

No you didn't Dave.  ;D

You, Chris and I were all on the same wavelength here I think (a 'red and green' wavelength maybe...... ;)) and everyone else has got it wrong. ;D

Exactly and the winner was on the IPMS Ireland stand  :wub: ;D Mind you I was responsible for the "other" event as well  :angel:

Ah ha! that "best in show". Yeah it was a vintage year for that one. I believe it is what is known as a "target rich environment"  :angel: :angel: :thumbsup:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

The Wooksta!

You may even be travelling by car...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Hobbes

Quote from: Flyer on November 14, 2016, 10:29:54 PM
Great photo's. :thumbsup:

I like the RAF Fantrainer. What is this? Obviously based on a Grumman Tigercat but whatever it is now I like it:

That's one of my old builds, done in 2008 for the Piston Perfection group build. Premise: what if jet engines couldn't be made to work/were invented later? Here's the build thread and backstory.

Hobbes

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2016, 07:38:25 AM

The IPMS Europe mob opposite were their usual fun (and provided the Class winner in our unofficial trophy  :angel:) I loved the German Lingerie delivery truck, although I'm convinced if that were on a UK stand the Committee would have the hump. The Fletcher class destroyer on the Austrian stand was also a stand out, that and their German/English notices - "keepun yoursen handun offen our modelsun"  ;D

That notice was a quote from this:

Achtung! Alles lookenpeepers!
    Das komputermaschine ist nicht für der gefingerpoken und mittengraben! Oderwise ist easy to schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken.
    Ist nicht für gewerken bei dummkopfen. Der rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das cottonpicken händer in das pockets muss.
    Zo relaxen und watschen der blinkenlichten.

Weaver

Well I've just uploaded my pics to www.Minds.com, only to discover that I can't give you a link that will show you just that album in the right order (related pics next to each other), so I'm currently uploading it all again to Photobucket, which will doubtless be the usual PITA.... :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Okay here's 339 pictures for you...
http://s35.photobucket.com/user/hws5mp/library/SMW%202016?sort=2&page=1

I apologise for the fact that some of them arn't perfectly in focus: I was running around like a mad thing trying to take as many as I could in a more limited time than usual, with a very light camera.

There's no way I could have edited and cleaned up this many this fast either, so most of them are as they come and have been reduced in size for quicker uploading. If there are any that particularly interest you, then let me know and I'll put up improved ones from the original files.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

The Chaos

A lot of nice Models on the show.
However, I've seen many of the models already in the last 3 years there.

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on November 15, 2016, 02:24:26 PM

I apologise for the fact that some of them arn't perfectly in focus: I was running around like a mad thing trying to take as many as I could in a more limited time than usual, with a very light camera.

There's no way I could have edited and cleaned up this many this fast either, so most of them are as they come and have been reduced in size for quicker uploading. If there are any that particularly interest you, then let me know and I'll put up improved ones from the original files.

Thanks for sharing H.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on November 16, 2016, 01:19:52 AM
Quote from: Weaver on November 15, 2016, 02:24:26 PM

Thanks for sharing H.

+1 :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Few highlights:

This was scratchbuilt and that's real wood in the structure... :wub:

Now there's an idea for a sign!

There's a whole bunch of these hovertank pics including a diorama on page 11

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

I was most impressed by that SRN4 hovercraft too. The 'spray' effect was very convincing indeed.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit