Additional feedback on forum upgrades needed

Started by overscan, July 30, 2016, 11:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

The site did have the function to do that some years back but it was taking up too much bandwidth so the Mods went to external hosting.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

As Lee says it's a matter of bandwidth with quite significant cost implications. That's why we had to go down the external host path.

Personally I pay for Photobucket. It's not much in the reality of things and I find it far better and much quicker and more responsive to use.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Austanker

I run my pics off my free Blogger page all you need is a Google account and you have a free blog which you can hot link pics from

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 06, 2017, 06:39:25 AM

Personally I pay for Photobucket. It's not much in the reality of things and I find it far better and much quicker and more responsive to use.

Chris

Does the pay for photobucket have all sorts of pop up advertisements?  I find the free version increasingly has all sorts of annoying pop ups, ads and often freezes up my internet.  Hey you get what you pay for, but I don't want to pay for it if it has the same issues in the pay for version. 

Thanks-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Martin H

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 23, 2017, 09:28:36 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 06, 2017, 06:39:25 AM

Chris

Does the pay for photobucket have all sorts of pop up advertisements?  I find the free version increasingly has all sorts of annoying pop ups, ads and often freezes up my internet.  Hey you get what you pay for, but I don't want to pay for it if it has the same issues in the pay for version. 

Thanks-Dave
I pay for my photobucket account as well, mainly for the extra storeage it provides. And so far its been add free for me.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

NARSES2

As Martin says the paid Photobucket account is add free and thus far, far quicker
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 24, 2017, 06:17:45 AM

As Martin says the paid Photobucket account is add free and thus far, far quicker

But for those that don't have PB accounts it's almost impossible to see pics that aren't actually posted on here.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 24, 2017, 02:12:39 PM

But for those that don't have PB accounts it's almost impossible to see pics that aren't actually posted on here.

Interesting.

I take it you can see the pictures I post Kit ?

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 25, 2017, 06:41:42 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 24, 2017, 02:12:39 PM

Interesting.

I take it you can see the pictures I post Kit ?

When you or Martin or others post your pics of events like shows, and you have a PB link to them, it starts to load up when I click on it but then gets bogged down with tons of freaking ads to a point where the computer just freezes up Chris. I think that is what Kit is referring to. At least that is what happens to me.

I use PB too, and attaching a pic to a post is a right PITA because of the ads that swamp the system. Once pics are attached into a post, then I see them perfectly.

And before someone says use (fill in the blank) for your photo host, I have an aversion to using 3rd party sites in the first place and don't want to have to go through all the pics I have in PB and then having to replace all the pics I've posted here in other forums.  What I don't get is why people need to put all their personal data into a 3rd party which is then another security problem.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

If adds are swamping your system then you ought to look at your web browser settings dealing with pop ups and the like.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

I've got the pop-up setting set to stop them but that is what is happening, there's so many pop-ups when you go into PB it gets swamped then just freezes up.  I don't have all day pi$$ing around with it so it just gets a CTL.ALT.DEL and I don't go into the link again
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

If I try and view a pic that's posted on PB via a link from here, not a pic that actually displays on here, three things happen.

1) It takes AGES to actually load the PB page.

2) Almost as soon as it opens I get a window that opens on top of the actual pic suggesting I sign up for PB.

3) If I can get rid of that window, which I usually can't, the whole thing bogs down after looking at a few pics, and that's that.

After that lot I usually give up, life's too short.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

seadude

I have a PB account and also a Flickr account. But I'll probably delete the PB account sometime son this year as I am tired of the popup ads and a few other things. I like Flickr better as I have 1000 GB of free storage. :)
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

NARSES2

Right can I just re ask my question as it's not been answered.

Can you see the pictures I post on here ? The MK show photos for example.

I ask because I don't post the PB link but I post the image.