Fore and Aft Scanner System (as seen on Nimrod AEW.3)

Started by Hobbes, August 08, 2016, 09:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

I've been working on CAD drawings of the radomes on the Nimrod AEW.3, using the Cammett conversion kit as a starting point. The plan is to make these available as 3D printed parts in 1/72 and 1/144.
I'm drawing the radomes only, not the Nimrod-specific section between the dome and the kit fuselage. This means the parts should be readily adaptable to build the many proposals that were made for the FASS installation, including Hercules and VC-10 for example.

The part still needs some fettling to get the shape correct, here's the front radome:

Some inspiration can be found here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1272.0.html

Captain Canada

Excellent ! I could see trying it on a few aeroplanes, and at 144th scale that would be perfect !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Hobbes

I've received a test print of the forward radome, the shape is pretty close but needs minor adjustments, and I want to make the walls a bit thinner for the 1/72 version.
I also found out that the radomes on the Anigrand Nimrod AEW.3 are too narrow (by 25%).

Martin H

Im hoping this means we will be seeing more variations of this beast in due course  :thumbsup:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

Very interesting Harro, might be interested in a set. Although I do have a Cammett Nimrod conversion set in the stash which could accidentally fall into rubber    ;D

Got this in mind in 1/72, the bottom one

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Martin H

Now your talking!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 08, 2017, 02:54:41 PM
Very interesting Harro, might be interested in a set.

Got this in mind in 1/72, the bottom one

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

Cheers Martin, oddly while looking for something else, I found I had bought Chris Gibson's The Air Staff and the AEW. I can't remember buying it or even reading it so that's what I've been doing for the last few nights. I think all I must have done is skip to the BAe 844 part to see what was there and then didn't read the rest of it.  I could see the 1/144 set fitting onto a 1/72 CL-600 too.

McColm

As you know, I've used the Cammett kit on several builds. A vacform conversion would be really handy as the resin parts are far too heavy.
Apart from the Nimrod AEW the Cammett parts fit well on the 1/72 B-29, HP Victor K2(although you will need an alternative cockpit), Heller Lockheed Constellation, Revell Dassault Breguet Br1150 Atlantic. Front end of the Mach2 /Anigrand Martin SeaMaster, rear end of the Hasegawa Lockheed P-3 Orion couldn't get the front nose cone to fit. Rear of the Airfix Avro Vulcan had problems with the front nose cone. Boeing C-97, Boeing E-3A/ C-135 and the nose of the C-160.
Any aircraft with a round fuselage should work, I haven't tried the Airbus A400M.
Good luck.

PR19_Kit

That'd work quite well on an A400M as well....................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 09, 2017, 02:26:30 AM
That'd work quite well on an A400M as well....................

Yes --- it would too, 

Or a Belfast

McColm

Could also work on the Mach2  AW Argosy and the Mach2/Airfix Vickers Valiant..Not too sure about the B-52, although the B-36 would work.

PR19_Kit

Not sure about the RW application on an Argosy, the booms and tail would limit the coverage of the aft radome somewhat.

It might work on a Beverley though...........  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 09, 2017, 08:07:43 AM
Not sure about the RW application on an Argosy, the booms and tail would limit the coverage of the aft radome somewhat.

It might work on a Beverley though...........  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I've thought about that problem before. What I came up with is that the nose aerial has a 270 deg scan and the rear one a 90 deg scan, so that the latter is only covering the arc in between the booms. It would mean an even longer nose for the forward radome though...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Dizzyfugu

A BAe 146 with those radomes, perhaps...?

The Herk looks interesting, also in the Hemp/Barley Grey livery. I like it a lot.  :thumbsup: