British Army Gulf Light
1 (14.3%)
XF-58 Olive Green
1 (14.3%)
XF-81 Dark Green
1 (14.3%)
XF-62 Olive Drab
2 (28.6%)
Testor Acryl FS34087 Olive Drab (Not shown in below pics.)
0 (0%)
50/50 mix. Paint some vehicles olive drab and some in a armor sand type color.
2 (28.6%)
Paint all vehicles in a olive drab type color.
1 (14.3%)
Paint all vehicles in a armor sand type color.
0 (0%)
Other color choices?
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

seadude

I'm trying to decide what colors to paint all the vehicles I have for my hospital/humanitarian ship project. I have the following selection of vehicles. These two pics are the best I could come up with. Sorry for any blurriness, etc.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8853/28591010240_c152e05216_h.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8321/28591010320_3812ac77fc_b.jpg

I was kinda thinking of painting 1 or 2 of the HEMTT tankers white w/ blue tanks to indicate that these vehicles are water tankers. Not sure though.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Hobbes

For humanitarian missions, vehicles are routinely painted white. Armored vehicles on peacekeeping missions too. Add large lettering 'UN' or the mission name (IFOR, etc.).

seadude

Quote from: Hobbes on August 09, 2016, 12:01:58 PM
For humanitarian missions, vehicles are routinely painted white. Armored vehicles on peacekeeping missions too. Add large lettering 'UN' or the mission name (IFOR, etc.).

Hmmm. I'll have to think about that.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Steel Penguin

id go UN white,  or berlin block  :o  (
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

seadude

But that's mostly for United Nations missions/vehicles, which isn't what my hospital/humanitarian ship is for. The model ship I'm building is a what if replacement for the Mercy class hospital ships which belong to the US Navy's Military Sealift Command. Here's a sample pic I found of an LCU delivering humanitarian aid to Haiti. Note all the vehicles in the surrounding area.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/US_Navy_100120-M-8752R-031_A_landing_craft_unit_from_the_22nd_Marine_Expeditionary_Unit_delivers_humanitarian_aid_and_supplies_at_a_compound_outside_Leogane,_Haiti.jpg

Old Wombat

OK, I'm obviously still slightly confused about the primary role of the ship.

If the primary role is humanitarian aid with a military hospital ship secondary role, then I'd go for white vehicles with coloured (OD, tan, green, etc.) canvas covers & the US aid service name/initials on the doors/sides.

If the primary role is as a military hospital ship with humanitarian aid as a secondary role, then I'd go with a mix of colours, including camo, & white panels on the side with the US aid service name/initials.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Second that, and white is cool on military vehicles! Even whiffy ones. I did a walking tank (inspired by the initial scenes from Patlabor 2) in white with some blue trim, and it looks very good.

Another option could be an independent NGO; in Germany, for instance, we have the Technische Hilfswerk (THW), which uses some heavy duty and also ex-military vehicles. Typically, these vehicles are painted like firefighters, but in dark blue (RAL 5002, ultramarine blue) instead of red:

seadude

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 10, 2016, 05:13:11 AM
OK, I'm obviously still slightly confused about the primary role of the ship.

THIS ->    "If the primary role is as a military hospital ship with humanitarian aid as a secondary role, then I'd go with a mix of colours, including camo, & white panels on the side with the US aid service name/initials."

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

nighthunter

The US military is currently stuck on a Desert Scheme kick, but if you go by any ANG base, you'll still see several schemes. Currently, the US Navy uses a Gray Green for its vehicles, but if it's a Joint Vessel, then Marines Green. You'll want to add white squares with red crosses for medical vehicles
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*