DAS modeling clay

Started by NARSES2, August 10, 2016, 07:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

My local branch of The Works has a sale on and has a pack of DAS modeling clay on offer at £2. Now it weighs a tonne but I was wondering if it can be used with styrene and resin ? Anyone got any experience with it ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

I think I remember the stuff from childhood days. A grey stuff in a plastic bag, right?
It's, IIRC, good for pottery (wand water-based), but rather unsuited for modelling. Even for dioramas it's not the best stuff - you can use if for sculpting, but I do not think that it combines well with styrene. The last time I used it was on a wooden dragon marionette (don't ask...) I built for a friend, filling gaps between wooden elements. While the fresh DAS clay could be easily blended into gaps etc., it would alter shrink and become very brittle - just like clay.

NARSES2

Many thanks Dizzy. The more I thought of it I realised it probably wouldn't work with styrene, but thought I'd check.

The UK stuff is a red colour and is air drying, but as you say shrinkage would be quite big and then you wouldn't really be able to sand it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

I used to use it when I was a wee kid. Never really to it's full potential tho
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?