Deep Space Passenger Cruiser - first time Kitbash/scratch build

Started by sykotik, August 10, 2016, 09:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this awesome build! :wub:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

buzzbomb

Quote from: sykotik on March 24, 2017, 11:08:25 PM
none sorry - I have had to put it away for a while to concentrate on other projects. I will be coming back to it later on though. It is not officially dead  :)

good, this was looking fantastic

Madhatter

Hi everyone
Who here remembers this one? Yup, it was an idea on how to use some parts I had which has had now become an active project, I am bored building kits and feel that now is the time to move into scratch building. So, 2 nights ago in a spurge of inspiration, I started cutting and gluing stuff together. I have also slightly modifed the final design. I'm going to try and keep the shape you see below. It looks fast and aggressive but I agree, not terribly civil, but I am in love with the natural curves of the F14 body and the UBoat hull. They compliment each other beautifully. I'm now thinking a rich person's personal space yacht.
Also, I have not discarded Guy's idea of a pair of forward facing mini-subs as projectors. It may help in balancing out the triangular shape it has ATM. I'll use the 3rd pic of that layout as a public poll (of sorts)

I have the sub on the right in the wrong position - the little fins should be facing forward and there is still a whole section missing yet at the rear but this is just the rough shape.

Part of the problem I was having at the start initially and was was stopping me from starting was having a solid central hull piece to base the ship from. This was solved 7 days ago when I watched a guy build a huge starship from Nerf guns. It gave me an idea - the right one too  :thumbsup: .  As it happens, we  just so have some of those guns lying around here and I spied a sight from one of the guns he was about to throw out. I grabbed it and started messing around with it. Then I saw a Trumpeter 1/72 M113 on super sale at BNA which just so happened to be the answer to another block I had. It was now my new front docking bay! In a twist of fate, that old hangar bay I had built for the rear space was perfect. I don't even have to make it - it's already done! The wall panels were the exact perfect size for the ATV.
The 32 SU-27 intake has become the under body where the electrics can be held- so nice and convenient.

The U-Boat has a good hold, although I think it will be tricky to get the halves to meet squarely and this is where you will see a novice at work.

I do want to repaint in docking bay, so I will mask off the fibers and repaint it all. It does look a bit rough but don't forget, this is just the start and my ideas that I've had over the time are now finally getting to come out.

Yeah, I will get back to the Start Destroyer but this came first and now that I'm on a roll, I will keep going till its done or I've had enough. Or, more likely, it'll just fail catastrophically :D

I am more than happy to take constructive feedback. Happy for you to say something doesn't look right or what have you - just don't be an arse about it (although I doubt very much that anyone here would)

As always, thanks for stopping by and would love to hear your thoughts on this one

Si

NARSES2

When on a roll it's always best to take advantage and go with it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Cool.  :thumbsup:  But there's still a lot of aircraft ancestry visible?

Old Wombat

Great to see this on the move again! :thumbsup:

[PS: Yes, I had completely forgotten about it over the last 5 years but, having re-read the thread, I'm very excited to see where you take this! ;D ]
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Madhatter

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 01, 2023, 03:56:35 AMCool.  :thumbsup:  But there's still a lot of aircraft ancestry visible?

you're quite right - it does ATM, but hopefully that'll change soon enough  :thumbsup:

Rheged

Quote from: Madhatter on December 31, 2022, 09:32:24 PMHi everyone
Who here remembers this one? Yup, it was an idea on how to use some parts I had which has had now become an active project, I am bored building kits and feel that now is the time to move into scratch building. So, 2 nights ago in a spurge of inspiration, I started cutting and gluing stuff together.
Yeah, I will get back to the Start Destroyer but this came first and now that I'm on a roll, I will keep going till its done or I've had enough. Or, more likely, it'll just fail catastrophically
I am more than happy to take constructive feedback. Happy for you to say something doesn't look right or what have you - just don't be an arse about it (although I doubt very much that anyone here would)

As always, thanks for stopping by and would love to hear your thoughts on this one

Si

A few thoughts, as invited:-
1)  I'm delighted that you've had another spark of inspiration...........that's what drives whiffery  for all of us.
  2)Don't abandon the star destroyer  (I'm enjoying watching its progress)  but DO let it temporarily lapse if you feel that your creative flair is taking you elsewhere 
3)I don't think that your prediction of  "fail catastrophically"  is likely to be realised. (Outstanding triumph is much more likely)
4)  Who am I to say whether it looks right or wrong?  It's YOUR imagination that matters here 
5)  I totally agree with you that even those  here with different opinions to yours are unlikely "to be an arse about it".  That's why I enjoy this site so much.

Having said a lot more than my allotted two penn'orth, I'll wish you and yours a Happy New Year and get out of peoples' way.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kerick

That docking bay is great! I can't wait to see more of this build.
If the muse is upon you then go with it!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Madhatter

Things are slowly starting to take more shape. I still have to do the bottom yet but I am almost there. Still lots of puttying and blending to go yet

I am really contemplating going with this configuration:

I'd need to blend in that hull that's on this side but I like the shape of it. If I do, I'd have to buy another one of those ships and I'm not sure there is another one there

These are the main engines I was thinking of using but I don't think I'll need the whole tube - just the ends. The brass is just sitting in the middle and have not been centered. I'll add supports to them when I get to there.

It certainly seems to be taking on a retro Gerry Anderson era kind of shape. Certainly not by design but it seems to be naturally flowing there. I like it myself

Anywho, that's it for now, but happy to hear your thoughts you may have if you want to leave them

As always, thanks for looking

Si

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

63cpe

Amazing job! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I envy your imagination....wish I had a little more of that. :wub:

Cheers!
David aka 63cpe