Deep Space Passenger Cruiser - first time Kitbash/scratch build

Started by sykotik, August 10, 2016, 09:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

sykotik

hi everyone

Well, it has been a while since I updated this and I have actually made a start on it. I had the camera out today taking shots of something else so I thought I would snap off a few shots of where I am up to on this one

The only thing really actually glued is the nose section and the superstructure. I have only just started the superstructure but it's coming along nicely so far. Still a long way to go on it though...

here's a small list of things I have started:
A front antenna array which sits below the nose but I forgot to take pictures of that.
I have also begun making a hangar bay which will sit inside the rear part of the ship and am deciding on what to do with the open space at the rear of the superstructure. I am thinking maybe some raked fins like the Yamato could be the way to go? Open to suggestions... I have scrapped the use of the F-14 body as I was finding it too hard to integrate with the sub body and have come up with something a bit more stream lined. I am still intending on using those mini-subs as 'conventional' thrust style engines which I shall use the resin nozzles on

Anyway, that's it for now, but I shall update again once i have something worth taking pictures of
Thanks for looking
Till then
Si

zenrat

The gap at the back could become an arboretum - trees under a "glass" roof.  Think Silent Running.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sykotik

That is not a bad idea. I shall consider it more. Currently, I have machinery in mind, but that might be in line with it being a civilian passenger liner (not nice and clean)
Maybe I'm over thinking it

Anyways, progress is slowly happening. I have finally got the lighting installed into the main superstructure and I will start on the body lighting soon
Most of the detailing has gone on but there is still more to add, which I will do once it is secured onto the body.

That space at the back there will be a private/leisure craft hangar bay...eventually

This part is the start of the forward sensor array which will sit on the chin of the ship. Below that will be a larger hangar bay for supply ships and larger craft

I am still playing with the F-14 body idea and have reshaped things slightly but still not entirely convinced. I like the idea of the flared out body but it seems a bit chunky at present.
I may just stick with my original plan of building the shape from scratch. I'll play around with it some more before committing either way

Well, that's it for now. I will update again soon

Thanks for looking
Si

kerick

I know you are not to this point yet but I recommend for the hanger bay behind the superstructure some nice decal stripes leading up to the bay and some approach lights like a runway would have.

Probably not that many lights.
Just my $0.02 worth.

I love how this is progressing.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sykotik

I really like that idea Kerick -  so I may just implement that. I was already having ground lights in the hangar bay so they will work nicely with a chaser unit lit guide path. Just need to find a unit first but that shouldn't be too hard to locate

kerick

That nice long deck aft of the hanger bay made me think of that. Should work out well.
The forward facing bay is another matter.
Could use the Optical Landing System from aircraft carriers.

"Call the ball Mav!"

I was working on something like your project a few years ago and was going to do this but its on the shelf of shame these days. I got too complicated and burned out on it.
Tophe the Wise

sykotik

I hadn't actually thought anything about the front bay yet other than floor lighting. It'll be considerably bigger than the rear one - that's for sure.

kerick

Project the runway pattern out the front using a hologram.
That might be a bit much. My enthusiasm exceeds reality.
Tophe the Wise

sykotik

WOW- has it really been over a month since I last updated this? My, how time flies - especially when your flat out busy...
I have been very slowly and casually chugging away at this. I have almost finished the rear hangar bay and am about to make a start on the front one. I just need to add a roof to the smaller bay and add some lighting to it and it's ready to install.
Here are a couple of pics to tide you over until I have something really worth while to show you

Sorry that's all I have for now but I am a very slow worker  - despite everyone telling me otherwise
I will get the Fibers all connected up and take some more photos so you can see how it's meant to look
Si

Old Wombat

If that microscopic brilliance isn't something pic-worthy, I have no clue as to what is!

Fantastic job, there! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Crackingjob

Superb :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.......love the use of the fibres for lights and the meshing of components.....dont be afraid to go away from plastic kit parts...doing a Rowland Emett with something you would not connect with modelling is fun...for my trains I have used pins, bits of tea strainers, odd brass trinkets from charity shops, bottle tops etc.....love it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mxD0DW4O0ZA
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/The_Iron_Road_ironing_board_layout_about10453.html

kerick

Tophe the Wise

sykotik

none sorry - I have had to put it away for a while to concentrate on other projects. I will be coming back to it later on though. It is not officially dead  :)