Done +++ An early A-4 Skyhawk in Aéronavale colors (@ p.2)

Started by Dizzyfugu, August 14, 2016, 11:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Something simple, and a project from the long list that finds in the GB a good justification for building it.

The Skyhawk in French Navy colors (read: dark blue-gray and white) is nothing new, I have seen profiles of this idea and IIRC even a build. But it fits well into the GB theme. Not certain if this is going to be a real service aircraft or something from an evaluation phase against the Étendard - it will certainly be an early Skyhawk model, the Airfix A-4B has been earmarked as basis.
Only minor changes planned, certainly French ordnance (AS.30?) and maybe a small, unique hump for the corresponding additional avionics.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Gondor on August 15, 2016, 09:25:44 AM
Sounds like a nice and simple build  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Yes... after lots of recent kitbashing excitement a bit of standard work cannot be wrong. Work has already started, the Airfix A-4B is really a nice kit. It's also cleverly constructed, seams are hidden between natural panel lines, it's really comfortable. Also already started legwork on the background - the A-4 was really tested by the Aéronavale in 1972, as a replacement for the (crappy) Étendard, a modified A-4M. But the Super Étendard won.
Mine will be placed a generation earlier, though, in the late Fifties as a contender to the (crappy) Étendard.  :wacko:

KiwiZac

Great news! I'm sure I've read/seen RW mentions of Aeronavale interest in the type and a Dizzy build of one is an exciting prospect!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: KiwiZac on August 15, 2016, 09:20:16 PM
Great news! I'm sure I've read/seen RW mentions of Aeronavale interest in the type and a Dizzy build of one is an exciting prospect!

You are correct. Here's a pic from the 1972 trials on board of the Foch, a A-4M Skyhawk II from USMC's VMA-214. Note the original livery but flashy trim and emblems of 12.F and 14.F squadrons.

Mine will look "more French", more like this simulation (of a late A-4M, though, not an early B with the short nose and without the hump):

Progress is good so far, I am amazed how good the kit's construction is. I have built the recent Airfix Hurricane, and this was pleasant, too. The A-4B confirms this good impression: a simple kit, with very good detail, only little "conflict potential". Fuselage has been closed and wings mounted. A different dorsal spine was added for the sake of a unique look, and work on the ordnance makes progress, too. Landing gear and other minor details next.

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Dizzyfugu

Short update, w/o pics: building phase is mostly finished, and painting started. Since the livery is pretty simple, this should go ahead quickly, too.  ;D

kerick

Simple is the best way!
Easy to say but hard to do when you suffer from AMS like me.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Checking the date on the 1st post as I read through I was going to ask "Is it finished, yet?" but you've answered the question ... "Almost!"
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Correct. Ink wash on the basic paint was applied yesterday, today the detail work (e .g. red air intake markings, panel shading, work/paint of ordnance) will start.

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 15, 2016, 11:42:28 PM

Foch!  I can't get over all the clutter on that mast.  Am I correct in assuming thats the result of many upgrades and additions?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Decals have been done, too, now it's time for finishing touches.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu