1:100 Macross VF-1S Valkyrie "Double Nuts" (Battroid Mode)

Started by Dizzyfugu, August 16, 2016, 11:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

1:100 Macross VF-1S Valkyrie "Double Nuts" - Battroid Mode by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:100 Macross VF-1S Valkyrie "Double Nuts" - Battroid Mode by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

New pics from an old kit, once more. This is a standard 1:100 VF-1S kit from ARII, with little upgrades like additional joints in arms and legs as well as new hip construction made from wire that allows a 3D posture of the legs - for a more vivid appearance and a more dynamic pose.

The paint scheme is not "official" and was inspired by a US Navy A-3 Skywarrior bomber from the Vietnam War era - specifically an RA-3B from VAP-61 in 1968. I found the profile in a magazine, and you know: never trust printed cammo schemes... at least without secondary sources for confirmation. So, this here represents the printed colors, not the real camouflage tones!
This squadron leader's VF-1S (with the "00" ID number, hence the "Double Nuts" name) was painted with  a wrap-around, 3-tone color scheme in light grey (FS 36622, almost white), ghost grey (FS 36320) and blue grey (FS 35164).

For reference, check this illustration, the original design benchmark:

Nevertheless, there are many VF-1 designs that are based on USN benchmarks, e .g. to be found in the "This is animation, Special: MACROSS PLUS" source book or the later Softbank Publishing books.
Today I know that my interpretation is "wrong", it should be FS 36440, 36231 and 36118. But this more bluish variant even looks better and might be well suited for aerial combat. :D

And, in full flight and in front of a cloudy sky, this vivid color scheme effectively breaks up the Valkyrie's outline.

zenrat

I'm not seeing the reference pic but I always say If it looks right then it is right.
And this looks right.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Hmmm, wrong code for the pic. Should be repaired now - sorry!

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..