Curtis Loon - Pre War RAN - Finished pictures page 3

Started by zenrat, August 18, 2016, 01:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on September 02, 2016, 02:15:40 AM
I'm not decided on the engine.  I'm tempted to replace the 550hp Wasp with a 2200hp Double Wasp but feel it may be a little over the top...

....and what's wrong with being just a tiny bit over the top?    It could lead, for instance, to a Centaurus powered Swordfish!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Thanks folks.

What's holding me back from swapping engines is that the Double Wasp is one of a resin pair (Italeri B-26 IIRC) and as soon as I use one i'll find I need a pair for something else.
That and timeframe issues.

I think i'll not make a decision and see how I'm going as the deadline approaches...

Hmmm, just had a thought.  If I put one Double Wasp on this I can use the other one on the Airfix Tiger Moth in the stash...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

I started scratching the undercarriage together today and have decided to retain the kit engine as the extra length of the Double Wasp will make it stick out too far and look odd.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Captain Canada

Good call. I think this will be whiffy enough as is, and all of the effort for a new engine......maybe if you build a second one later  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

More undercarriage today.  I've had to come up with a design that allows me to mount stub axles securely onto the end of struts.  I would have used a single axle joining both legs to add strength but it would have got in the way of the torpedo.
Fred

zenrat

A slight setback today.
I entered the shed to find the upper wing, which I had cleared ready for decals, lying sticky side down on the painting table.
I have sanded the chunks of grit off and repainted the tips but it will delay things.
Fred

Captain Canada

Crazy how that happens.....ghost in the machine or a gust of wind or somat ?

:banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Spiders.  There are some big huntsmen in there who steal small parts.  I think they may have tried to take something larger...

I've now recleared it and also cleared the rest.  If all goes to plan I should get the decals on tomorrow.
Fred

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Flyer on September 10, 2016, 09:07:29 AM
Wonder what they are building with the parts?

I fear I will never know as NARSES2 has targeted me for termination...

Love that song Womby.  Not heard it for a while.  Thanks. :thumbsup:

Got all the decals on the Loon today bar those under the lower wings.  I am going to use very old Allmark roundels under there which shatter when they get wet.  As mentioned elsewhere i've treated one pair with Testors Decal Sealer and one with Microscale Liquid Decal Film.
Unless there is a major catastrophe (or one of Chris's assassination squads get me) I think I might get it done by Wednesday...
Fred

zenrat

Life conspires against me.  I have an extra 4 hours work a day for the next 2 weeks which is going to severely eat into my modelling time and may be the death knell of the plan to finish the Loon...

Fred

NARSES2

Booger. Still she just gets finished outside the GB if necessary
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I'm not giving up.  I managed to fit in some Loon in the middle of the split shift and after I finished.
All I have left to do is some detail painting and attach the top wing, wheels, canopy & torpedo.
And rig it.

Fred

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Captain Canada

Nice ! Keep it up ! And in the words of Dexter Holland " you can do it ! "

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?