WHIF Challenge - Vatican City Air Force

Started by TheChronicOne, August 22, 2016, 11:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Quote from: sandiego89 on August 22, 2016, 03:21:18 PM
To get around the real estate problem, the back story could have the Vatican leasing or persuading friendly (Presumably nations with large Catholic populations) nations to host the Vatican forces.

I do like the idea of peacekeeping/humanitarian forces, and thus a naval, air and land forces would all have a role.....although a bible distributing cluster bomb or "conversion inducing" chain gun does sounds tempting....   

I love it!
-Sprues McDuck-

Alvis 3.14159

During the Great Vampyre Uprising of the 1930s, the Vatican was our last line of defence. Most military forces were being pushed back all across Europe, with the Romanians having some small measure of success with their Vlad-omatic Mausers, but the real saviors were the He 111s equipped with spray bars. Coming in at rooftop heights, entire neighborhoods were soaked down with holy water, denying the Vampyric Horde the ability to traverse, even at night.
Based out of several countries across Europe, none ever flew directly from Vatican City. One is preserved in the Vatican City AeroSpace Museum and Illuminati Museum, right behind Davinci's Flying Saucer. It sports several Stained Glass windows not seen on actual operational He 11s, as well as lacking the spray bars and tanks.

Alvis Pi

kerick

Obviously replaced by CL 214 firebombers with a priest on board to bless the water before its dropped.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

Brilliant!  I was grinning ear to ear the whole way through! Stained glass.... ha!! Fantastic. 
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

The stained glass windows were, obviously, to prevent the Holy Brothers of the Order of Saint Daedalus falling victim to the Vampyres' mesmerising stare.

Reavers also made a killing at the gates of Vatican air fields, selling Holy relics.

I suppose, if you look at it from an odd angle, the Anglican Church (Church of England) already has an air force, navy & army - the Royal Air Force, Royal Navy & various Royal regiments. :unsure:

The Vatican City Navy would be required to protect the convoys of Catholic Missionaries on their quests to convert the heathens (that'd be everyone not a Catholic) to the One True Faith (1/48th Scale! :wacko: ).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Alvis 3.14159

I've been threatening to do the He 111 for years, but realistically, it's unlikey to happen, so I figured the time spent shopping it up was worth it.
Thanks for the opportunity!

Alvis Pi

TheChronicOne

More from Clave:

Embraer Super Tucano of the Vatican Jungle Warfare Division. Armament is either Hellfire or Brimstone missiles.

-Sprues McDuck-

Rheged

Ah, yes, the armament of guided MISSALS, VICARS guns and minor CANONS.

(Abstruse religious puns, sorry!!)

Regarding the C17 in white as a humanitarian relief aircraft, I have previously suggested a squadron of Buccaneers and/or Typhoons in white with Oxfam/Unicef/Caritas markings.........The aid convoy WILL get through!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

loupgarou

Rewriting "slightly" italian history, Rome and some territory around could have been successfully defended in 1870 by the papal army of the time, instead of conquered leaving only a small enclave, so there would be, in this alternate history, enough space and need for an air force.
BTW, till 1870, the Stato della Chiesa HAD an army:

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_States#Papal_army

"Papal army:

Historically the Papal States maintained military forces composed of volunteers and mercenaries. Between 1860 and 1870 the Papal Army (Esercito Pontificio in Italian) comprised two regiments of locally recruited Italian infantry, two Swiss regiments and a battalion of Irish volunteers, plus artillery and dragoons.[35] In 1861 an international Catholic volunteer corps, called Papal Zouaves after a kind of French colonial native Algerian infantry, and imitating their uniform type, was created. Predominantly made up of Dutch, French and Belgian volunteers, this corps saw service against Garibaldi's Redshirts, local brigands, and finally the forces of the newly united Italy.[36]

The Papal Army was disbanded in 1870, leaving only the Palatine Guard, which was itself disbanded on 14 September 1970 by Pope Paul VI,[37] and the Swiss Guard, which continues to serve both as a ceremonial unit at the Vatican and as the pope's protective force."
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Well supposing their French protectors don't withdraw in 1870 ? As mentioned above the Papal States had a small army so maybe they could have joined forces with the Kingdom of Naples and Sicily to resist Unification ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Just found this thread and wanted to add my two penneth worth. ;D
What about a Papal Flight, for flying the Pope and his entourage
around the world during his various visits? All sorts of Civil transports
could have been used depending on the era/your favourate Airliner,
I'm guessing a predominantly white colour scheme, although you could
pick your preferred Airline colour scheme and modify using say the colours of
the Swiss guard. Obviously for flying to the more war torn parts of our planet on
peace keeping type visits the Pope might appreciate some form of offensive/defensive
Hardware, either on the ground or in the air; :wacko: The Angel interceptors spring to mind here......
Could be a Group build? afterall with a bit of thought anything might have been put to use,
so should appeal (ahem!) to a broad Church :rolleyes:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

TheChronicOne

Quote from: TallEng on September 17, 2016, 04:55:23 PM
Just found this thread and wanted to add my two penneth worth. ;D
What about a Papal Flight, for flying the Pope and his entourage
around the world during his various visits? All sorts of Civil transports
could have been used depending on the era/your favourate Airliner,
I'm guessing a predominantly white colour scheme, although you could
pick your preferred Airline colour scheme and modify using say the colours of
the Swiss guard. Obviously for flying to the more war torn parts of our planet on
peace keeping type visits the Pope might appreciate some form of offensive/defensive
Hardware, either on the ground or in the air; :wacko: The Angel interceptors spring to mind here......
Could be a Group build? afterall with a bit of thought anything might have been put to use,
so should appeal (ahem!) to a broad Church :rolleyes:

Regards
Keith

I think it's a fantastic idea.....  It would be neat to get enough people on board with the idea to make it a viable option for GB. 
-Sprues McDuck-

Glenn Gilbertson

Here are two I drew some time ago, using the premise that the Vatican leased a US carrier to wield its power worldwide:

TheChronicOne

Brilliant !  I like the Swiss Guard guy standing with the Crusader.....and....It just hit me... "Crusader."  Perfect!

That Skyraider looks ready to drop Bibles!  :D

"..... the Vatican leased a US carrier to wield its power worldwide."

How cool...   

Thanks for posting.   :lol: :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

Well it's such a mad idea that you might imagine some of the crazier VTOL types employed. VATOL types like the Triebflugel or the Lerche, the Convair Pogo, the Lockheed Salmon, the Ryan Vertijet spring to mind. They could have a building that doubled as a hangar and launch pad with a sliding roof and an elevating floor. You could make this 'Very Gerry' with the Vatican being riddled with tunnels and secret lanch pads like Thunderbirds' Tracey Island... :wacko:

Alternately, you might imagine a more muscular Vatican City having control of more land of the former Papal States, either contiguous with it or perhaps scattered around in multiple 'awkward' arrangements like Vatican City itself.

Amusing and informative video on Vatican City by the excellent CGP Grey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPHRIjI3hXs
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones