WHIF Challenge - Vatican City Air Force

Started by TheChronicOne, August 22, 2016, 11:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

I issue unto you a challenge!

The Vatican City.

All discussion of religion and spirituality aside, one has to admit that it's fascinating to think about these tiny nations, and this one in particular, such a tiny, yet powerful nation. 

Any how, I thought it would be cool to see what, if anything, we could come up with! Go crazy. WHAT IF...they had a more mainstream military and not just the Swiss Guard; what if they had a VCAF...   ;D Stories, color schemes, possible air craft, roundels, you name it...which ever or whatever. Hell, a full model would be nice!  Maybe someone could even make a downloadable, printable set of decals for others to use. I might try it myself after doing a bit of reading first how to make them the proper sizes.

Well, that's it.. I thought I would share my thoughts and hopefully someone else could find the idea fun and interesting, too.  ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

The Old Regimental Flag of the Swiss Guard:

You can't tell me that wouldn't make a damn fine roundel.... how awesome would that look on a 109? ;)

Banner of the Pontifical Swiss Guard:

But by no means do we HAVE to use these things or colors... just a source for ideas.

-Sprues McDuck-

Rheged

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 22, 2016, 11:36:12 AM
I issue unto you a challenge!

The Vatican City.

What a good idea! 

This makes an interesting challenge.  Even if they just operated helicopters( and / or a few Harriers) it would be  an entertaining diversion.

Didn't Joe Stalin once remark  "....and how many battalions  does the Pope have?"  He was being dismissive of the power of the Roman Catholic church, but it expands your fascinating idea to perhaps a Swiss Guard armoured section, with Main Battle Tanks and APCs in an Italian version of "Berlin Urban"  camouflage.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

TheChronicOne

Glorious! I really like the sound of that. No reason to be limited to just air force.

Helos and jump jets?  It's almost as if the Vatican City isn't large enough for a runway. LOL!! I hadn't thought of that. Wiki said it was 1/8 the size of Central Park.... ehhhhh.....    slight miscue.  LOL    ;)

;D
-Sprues McDuck-

ericr

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 22, 2016, 11:43:38 AM
The Old Regimental Flag of the Swiss Guard:

You can't tell me that wouldn't make a damn fine roundel.... how awesome would that look on a 109? ;)

excellent colors  !

seadude

I can just imagine it: Vatican bombers dropping loads of Bibles.  ;D
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

RAFF-35

Surely they'd use crosses rather than roundels  :thumbsup: or perhaps those fish symbols or Easter eggs or something?
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

crudebuteffective

Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

Rheged

Quote from: crudebuteffective on August 22, 2016, 02:05:30 PM
this has my imagination working overtime

GOOD!!   That was the aim of the original post, as far as I can see.  Please  share the contents of your imagination with us.

So far, we have Harriers, helicopters and a Swiss Guard Armoured Group on offer.  Any further offers?......And can anyone manage to offer a good reason for a Vatican Navy?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on August 22, 2016, 02:16:27 PM

And can anyone manage to offer a good reason for a Vatican Navy?

Well SOMEthing's  got to defend the Tiber...........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

poru48

I'm thinking an all white C-5 with the Swiss Guard flag on the vertical tail would be appropriate for humanitarian missions.

Snowtrooper

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 22, 2016, 11:58:40 AM
It's almost as if the Vatican City isn't large enough for a runway.
Install steam catapult and arrestor gear in the courtyard so you could operate most naval types? Especially since there's plenty to choose from in the Boneyard for pocket change...

TheChronicOne

Well, there's the solution to the Vatican City's "too small for an actual airstip problem! " lol
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Oh boy! I stumbled across some stuff on Beyond The Sprues (from forum user Clave):

McDonnell-Douglas AH-64D of the Vatican City Air Force.  This Apache has a high capacity holy water cannon, 2 x Bible Bombs, 36 x Cheat-Seeking missiles, and twin Papal Bull chutes.

Looks like a firehose in place of the nose gun!

Found this one at some Italian site ( http://www.valentinatanni.com/vatican-air-force/ ):

-Sprues McDuck-

sandiego89

To get around the real estate problem, the back story could have the Vatican leasing or persuading friendly (Presumably nations with large Catholic populations) nations to host the Vatican forces.

I do like the idea of peacekeeping/humanitarian forces, and thus a naval, air and land forces would all have a role.....although a bible distributing cluster bomb or "conversion inducing" chain gun does sounds tempting....   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA