My non whiffy year so far....

Started by tc2324, September 01, 2016, 05:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AXU

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tc2324

My latest bit of non whiffery simply called......,

15th September 1940

Sgt Ray Holmes flying Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 from 504 Sqn rams Dornier Do 17z F1+FH from KG 76 in a last ditch attempt to bring the bomber down before it can make what he believes is a bombing run on Buckingham Palace.

...... and now a couple of shots of each aircraft without the prop blur.

Both kits are 1/48 scale, the Hurricane being Airfix, while the Do 17 in ICM.

Thanks for looking.
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

Those Hawker guys surely build strong wings!  :o

Your modelling is superb, the Do-17 falling apart looks terrific especially.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TomZ

Wow, looks great.

But where is the crew of the Dornier? Have they already jumped out?

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TomZ on September 04, 2017, 03:32:42 AM

But where is the crew of the Dornier? Have they already jumped out?

If they had any sense they would have.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

tc2324

Thanks chaps.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: TomZ on September 04, 2017, 03:32:42 AM

where is the crew of the Dornier? Have they already jumped out?

TomZ

The remaining crew had baled out of the Dornier a minute or two before this incident took place. Note the hatch under the cockpit is missing. Two crew members had been killed in earlier action as the Dornier made it`s way to London. (Out of respect I don`t and didn`t want to model the dead aircrew).

Obviously this was all unknown to the RAF pilot, Ray Holmes, at the time and he just saw a bomber approaching and acted accordingly.

Tiger, Tiger!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TomZ

Found this on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/wrhstol/posts/1463630300351897:0

A Luftwaffe cameraman is thought to have captured the moments after Hurricane Mk I JU-V had clipped the starboard wing of 17Z-2 U5+FL of 3/KG2 at 6,000ft over Convoy Bread at 14.00 on 19 July 1940, losing its port wing. F/O Thomas PK "Peter" Higgs of No 111 Squadron RAF had reportedly fired at the bomber when being attacked by Obltn Walter Oesau of 7/JG51 in Me 109E-3 White 1. Both aircraft spun seawards out of control, killing 2 crewmen and the 23-year-old pilot on bailing out.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

tc2324

A well known photo that Tom, but I`m afraid it`s now widely regarded as a `photo shopped` German propaganda picture.

While the event did occur, a couple of corrections are also required in the description. The action took place on July 10th and the cause of the collision was due to an attempted head on attack on the Dornier bomber group. It should be noted that while F/O Higgs did bail out of his Hurricane after the collision, he unfortunately drowned after landing in the Channel.

I highly recommend Battle of Britain Combat Archive series from Wing Leader if your interested in BoB combat reports.  :thumbsup:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Latest from me.....,

On Friday 21st May, a A-4Q Skyhawk of CANA 3 Esc flown by Lt Cmdr Philippi was shot down near Swan Island in Falkland Sound at approx 3.12 pm by Lt Morell RN in No.800 Sea Harrier XZ457 using a Sidewinder. The A-4`s had just completed an attack run when they became aware of a pair of Sea Harriers attacking from behind. The Argentine`s jettisoned their fuel tanks and bomb racks, increased their airspeed and got as low as they could in an effort to escape. 
Lt Cmdr Philippi A-4 was hit and he ejected safely.

Tiger, Tiger!