Decals Tip --- Ladies' Nail Art Water Slide Trasnfers

Started by TheChronicOne, September 01, 2016, 05:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Being "whif" and I figure you all might occasionally look for alternate decals.

Here's a lesser known way to find new ones: "nail art" as in ladies' finger nails.

Just go to ebay or....wherever...and search "nail art decals" or "water slide nail art" and you're in. They may even carry them at local beauty stores! How's that? Add one more source for product to the arsenal! The cool part? You can pretty much judge how big they will be by just looking down at your own fingernails. A lot of these would be really good for 1/72 or even smaller 1/48 builds and there are more subject matter than you might think...

A showcasing of some of what I've been able to find:

574th Armored, Peoples' Republic of Greater Disney, anyone?  That tinkerbell right there would make a damn fine low-vis nose art!

Look at this Autism awareness one, wouldn't those puzzle pieces make nice roundels or unit crest:

The subject matter goes far and wide.

Cheers!
-Sprues McDuck-

63cpe

Great tip! although i had to sift through a lot of flower or flowerish styled decals....... :rolleyes:
but found 4 camo style decals sheets (7x11 cm).I'm gonna check it out how this work as a wraparound scheme is stead of spraying a camo scheme!

Thanks,
David

Captain Canada

Cool. Thanks for the heads up !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Cool find, this has potential - also for mecha decoration.  :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Quote from: 63cpe on September 02, 2016, 12:03:45 AM
Great tip! although i had to sift through a lot of flower or flowerish styled decals....... :rolleyes:
but found 4 camo style decals sheets (7x11 cm).I'm gonna check it out how this work as a wraparound scheme is stead of spraying a camo scheme!

Thanks,
David
Hey keep us updated as to how well they work, the quality, etc etc.  Thanks! I'm glad I could help.  :)
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 02, 2016, 05:11:48 AM
Cool. Thanks for the heads up !

:thumbsup:

My pleasure. As David said.. lots of floral type stuff but with persistence neat subject matter can be found. 

Personally, I found some that gave me an idea whether I buy them or not....   Smurf Air Force...   hahah!!!  ;)

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 02, 2016, 06:02:11 AM
Cool find, this has potential - also for mecha decoration.  :thumbsup:

You're right!! Great idea there. I spent about half an hour yesterday looking through some and all kinds of ideas were springing up.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 01, 2016, 05:57:39 PM

Occasionally?  :o

Almost definition in my case, although many of them are admittedly different RAF ones of different periods.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

And here's me thinking it was all clever airbrush art - seriously  :o

Fleur de Lis and anchors could have loads of uses. Some of the others would make good personal markings as well.

Naive question. Are they "standard" waterslide decals/transfers ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 02, 2016, 07:28:05 AM

The ones that Mrs_PR19 uses seem to be, they float off the backing paper just like the ones we use.

But she has had some that have to be put in position first and then soaked off with some 'secret fluid', a bit like those decals that Maintrack used in their X-plane kits.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I would not wonder if this "Secret Sauce" is just an expensive mix of water and mild vinegar as a decal softener and adhesion medium.  ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 02, 2016, 07:44:36 AM

I would not wonder if this "Secret Sauce" is just an expensive mix of water and mild vinegar as a decal softener and adhesion medium.  ;)

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest!  :o

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 02, 2016, 07:12:44 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 01, 2016, 05:57:39 PM

Occasionally?  :o

Almost definition in my case, although many of them are admittedly different RAF ones of different periods.  ;)

Yeah, that seems to be my "go to" on a build right now...   The markings are from a true aircraft, but not where they should be.  Different time period and different nationality, to boot.  A great way to use up left overs.  I bought some really nice after market decals for planned future builds but unless keep buying kits and keep putting the "left overs" aside (in which case I'd never truly use them up)  I'm thinking I'll just use them on some of the kits I've bought that don't have any or are destroyed. 

Speaking of, stay tuned... I haven't worked on it in a week but I have a Yak 9 coming up with contemporary US Navy markings... It'll be a neat little bird, I hope.  I'm pretty much done with construction so I just need to get the decals put on and put the gear and propellors on.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 02, 2016, 07:28:05 AM
And here's me thinking it was all clever airbrush art - seriously  :o

Fleur de Lis and anchors could have loads of uses. Some of the others would make good personal markings as well.

Imagine my surprise, as well!  The little yellow light bulb floating atop my head lit up instantly.

Agreed on the Naval anchor stuff and the Fluer de lise.... I could foresee not wasting any of those  and eventually finding a good home for them all.  Well, maybe not the hearts with anchors....    ;)   

-Sprues McDuck-