1950s movie rocket ship

Started by kerick, September 05, 2016, 12:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

yuumi2891103 from Starship Modeler sent me a box of parts quite some time ago. (Thanks again Katsu san!) Inside were three fuselage halves of an F-104 Starfighter. I've always thought an F-104 would make a great golden age rocketship. I glued up two halves and used parts of the third to close up the cockpit and landing gear wells. Two halves of the forward part of a 1/48th F-4 centerline tank provided fairings to close up the intakes.

Lots of Aves and Bondo were used to smooth things out.

Extra fins are from the SU-105 build.

A little Perfect Plastic Putty.

When the surface was all smoothed out I first applied a coat of gloss black, then I believe it was Krylon silver. What a mess! The silver attacked the black and made it look like curdled milk! I was so disgusted with this I let it set for ages. Finally last week I decided to give it one more try. I sanded down the silver until all the "curdles" were smoothed away. Down to bare plastic in many spots.

I added some fin tip pods made from 1/72nd F-4 centerline tanks. Each appeared to be from a different kit. One of these was from Katsu also.

[/url]

Here's where I'm at now.

The first two tries using Testers "Chrome" rattle can had issues also. The paint seemed to take a long time to dry and some areas formed groups of what appeared to be bubbles. That had to be wet sanded down and resprayed. I'm down to just a couple of runs on the fins.

I'll paint these a different color or put some sort of decal over it. I might just finish this one after all.
I also have an engine bell to add.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Steel Penguin

looks good  after all that effort though  :thumbsup:
and part of me does want to put on my best Flash Gordon voice for it, so its a certain success there !
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Captain Canada

Excellent ! How cool would that look sitting on the shelf  :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Thank you for the encouragement!

Now, civilian or military markings? I have plenty of military stuff of course and some airline doors and windows too. Tough decision.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

For sure tough call ! I'd go civvy. We're supposed to have all this conflict sorted in the future  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Good point!

Until the aliens show up.......
Tophe the Wise

Cobra

How about making Your Rocket a UN Space Reasrch Vessel? Think that would Work? Dan

usn sentinel

there's nothing like a chrome silver rocket, that chrome effect is the hardest of all paint jobs to do, looks awesome ,took lots of finishing i bet :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

Sexy!  :wub: The NMF is a great choice for the shape.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Love it.

I'd go for red and white checks.
Like this but with the remainder chrome rather than red.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That finish looks as though it was worth the effort  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Back to throw in a vote for commercial rocket liner.   ;D

BONUS!

One of our local water towers: 

I like the checks, too. 
-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

The checks look good but that would take away from the already excellent finish  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?