Cuffed Props

Started by Librarian, September 10, 2016, 10:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

Over the years I've noticed that quite a few American aircraft have a 'cuffed' propeller blade. Anyone explain the purpose for this? I've assumed its to enlarge the surface area of the blade but there must be a more rational explanation. Would it have an effect on higher flying recon aircraft?

Old Wombat

Found on "MustangsMustangs Hangar" (http://www.mustangsmustangs.us/thehangar/index.php?topic=108.0) in an post by Glenn Wegman;

QuoteI spoke with Mr. Ed Horkey (designer of the cuff blade) in length quite some years ago and he stated that the purpose of the cuff blade was to assist in engine cooling while on the ground by moving more air closer to the blade root in order to get more air accross the radiator. Basically the same purpose as the cuffs on the B-29 blades. Engine cooling during ground operation.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Librarian

Thank you! Very interesting and wholly apt for the model I'm building....its going to need that radiator cooling.

PR19_Kit

There needs to be no reason other than they look cool.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Captain Canada

Thanks ! You learn something new everytime you're on here ! Interesting stuff.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?