The stealth F-111

Started by McColm, September 10, 2016, 12:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Although the F-111 was replaced by the F-15E in the USA and F-18 in Australia, there's always been rumors of a 'Switchblade' which allows the wings to be placed in a forward V-shape or a fixed delta wing with the air intakes, jet exhaust and twin tail fins similar to the YF-23.
This might have been mistaken for the Lockheed Martin's ASTRA (Advanced Stealth Technology Reconnaissance Aircraft) said to be flown during the late 1980s and could have been the aircraft that crashed at Boscombe Down Wiltshire on the night of September 26 1994. This had the tandem cockpit beneath an RA-5C style rear canopy. Twin canted tailfins, with the engine air intakes beneath the wing, chines extended forward to the nose section similar to those of the SR-71.
I did use the wings from the Revell 1/144 B-2 on a Airfx 1/72 RA-5C, I think the photo is on my Facebook page. This could work on the F-111. You could use parts from the F-22 or YF-23.
Taking this one step further the F-35B after market parts could work as a V/STOL F-111.
There's room to install two side windows on the side of the fuselage to create the illusion of a four seated which might work better in 1/48 scale.

Another thought just entered my head is using parts from the F-22 or YF-23 on the B-58. Not quite the Kingfish, but attempts by me to kitbash a F-117 with a B-58 have not been successful  :banghead:

McColm

Great artwork but no.
The drawing I saw had the forward sweep tucked into the fuselage for the fighter mode and ground storage. Next forward sweep, midships for landing or slow approach and swept back for dash speed.
The engine air intakes along the fuselage were < shaped and twin tail with 4 D jet exhaust pipes. Got to rack my brain where or what publication I saw it in. Guess I've got to build it :banghead:

Grumman filled a U.S.A. patent 5,984,231 in November 1999 ref: Northrop Switchblade and was featured in the publication Science How Stuff Works

seadude

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Captain Canada

Sounds good. I'd like to see that drawing.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

seadude

Can't remember what month/year this issue was. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of the article, but not the full magazine itself.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

McColm

Quote from: seadude on September 10, 2016, 06:42:57 PM
Can't remember what month/year this issue was. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of the article, but not the full magazine itself.

Could have been September 1988/89 edition. As  I bought a copy with me to read during the NATO  exercise held in Gibraltar.

McColm

Just found the Trumpeter 1/72 North American F-107A Ultra Sabre in the stash. Now a swing-wing version of this would be interesting!