Scimitar Down-Under - Finished (pics pg.2)

Started by Old Wombat, September 13, 2016, 06:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Nope, no flesh. :o

Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth
Tamiya XF-26 Deep Green
Tamiya XF-20 Medium Grey
LifeColor UA 052  Dark Green
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

It's my toplap screen.  The grey looks like pale sand and the deep and dark greens look more mid and medium.  Quite a nice combination actually.  I may use it or something similar.

I've always had a soft spot for Scimitars.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

While I'm waiting for my decals to arrive I've started building an Academy Warrior MCV.

1st point: The fit is far from great. Every seam, so far, has required putty & filing to get it right.

2nd point: Despite the above, there is enough good detail, including inside the hatches, that I'd like to do the interior.

Problem: The only interior set I know of is made by Accurate Armour, who also make a couple of detail kits for the exterior. Total cost (excluding Postage & Handling) = AU$152.90 (GB£90)

Result: No way am I going to do an interior, I'll look for some figures to slot into the cupola & driver's hatches & leave it at that.

BTW: It's going to be Australian Army but not the regular camo, rather something similar to the camo on the Scimitar, here.

Martin H

Well that paint job suits the CVR(T), so it will be interesting to see what you come up with for the Warrior.  :thumbsup:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 25, 2016, 10:41:08 AM
...The only interior set I know of is made by Accurate Armour, who also make a couple of detail kits for the exterior. Total cost (excluding Postage & Handling) = AU$152.90 (GB£90)...

I just said a bad word.  What's it cast from, something really rare like essence of truth brushed from a politicians lips?

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Well, breaking it down;

the interior set is about £55
exterior set is about £26
optional 3-periscope driver's hatch is £9

You can work that into AU$, if you want.

zenrat

I'd rather not.  It's bad enough in quids.
Fred

Old Wombat

Amen, to that, brother! :rolleyes:

Will be pre-decal gloss coating the Scimitar today, before I go to work. :thumbsup:

Had an epiphany moment with the Warrior last night (I think Claymore's builds, over on BtS, were sending tendrils of inspiration through my mind) & it will, now, sport a new turret! ;)

Old Wombat

I HATE VINYL TRACKS!!!! :angry:

Having gotten that off my chest, I shall now announce that this build is almost complete ... Except for the tracks. :-\

Said items will be fitted as-is until I can find something to replace them with. I had them painted up perfectly until I went to put them on & the paint flaked off all over the place. :banghead:

Photo's soon! :thumbsup:

rickshaw

There are two solutions to your problem, other than investing in aftermarket tracks, Guy.

The first is to coat the vinyl in some form of flexible varnish and then paint them.  The varnish will allow the paint adhere to the tracks better.

The second is to paint them with acrylic paints, which seems to retain it's flexibility after they dry and also adheres to the vinyl better.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Hmmm! Well, it is the Tamiya grey primer that's coming off & taking everything else with it.

May try one or both of those, Brian. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

OK, here it is - $#!++y tracks & all;

(Remember, this is Whif & units, etc., are included in that!)

The Airfield Defence Guards units of the RAAF are tasked with the protection of RAAF assets, especially airfields both in Australia & overseas.

The 6th Airfield Defence Guards (6ADG) are based in Western Australia, with their Head Quarters at RAAF Pierce. Their Area of Operations includes two Australian territorial off-shore shared civil/military facilities in the Indian Ocean, on Christmas Island & the Cocos (Keeling) Islands. These islands have been important over the decades since the end of WW2 as the front line in the continuing hostile & frequently heated relationship between Australia & Indonesia as the RAAF's static "aircraft carriers". The island/s each have a squadron of interceptor fighters based on them & are operational as refuelling way-points for the RAAF's strike bombers to extend their range further into & beyond western Indonesia. Because of this strategic importance the RAAF have maintained ADG squadrons on each island/s to defend the airfields from attack. The RAM, also, maintain an independent armoured infantry company on Christmas Island but have classified the Cocos (Keeling) Islands as indefensible & refuse to risk Marines to do so.

Illustrated below is a FV107 Scimitar (#48) of 2 Sqn, 6 Airfield Defence Guards (6ADG) based at RAAF Nicholas, Christmas Island, Indian Ocean ca. 2010.

In the display cabinet with the ASLAV 1A2 for comparisson;

Thanks for watching! :bow:

Comments welcomed. :thumbsup:

PS: The reflectors on the mud-flaps have been painted clear red since these photo's were taken. (The things you only notice in photo's! :rolleyes: )

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

You can't give the "Pot Plants" (as one RAAF Officer called them to me once) AFVs!  They won't know what to do with them!   :banghead:

That looks pretty good to me, Guy.  The tracks look OK from here!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.