What do you want from Freightdog? suggestions needed....

Started by Freightdog862, September 15, 2016, 12:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freightdog862

Interesting that AIM are doing the B.2 in 1/144, their 1/72 looks good but Alley Cat are also doing one soon, hand mastered by Campbell from Odds and Ordnance.

Colin

Gondor

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 18, 2016, 06:13:15 AM
Quote from: Gondor on September 18, 2016, 12:36:07 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on September 17, 2016, 01:22:39 PM
Quote from: TallEng on September 17, 2016, 12:21:54 PM
How about Merlin 85/87 engines as fitted to the Lancaster VI?
would be V. useful for upengining all sorts of piston powered aircraft.
Regards
Keith

Aircraft in Miniature already does a very good North Star conversion for most of the variants, including one that would work for the Mk.VI

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page179.html

Which one though as I am unsure which version would suit.

Gondor

The first option Alistair, with the exhaust stubs sticking out on both sides, the other two are different variations of the exhaust "cross-over" so the exhaust exited on the outer side of the nacelles

Saying that. To build a B. VI you also need a faired over nose and upper turret positions as well as the engines, is that enough to make it worth while Colin?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on September 18, 2016, 12:50:28 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on September 18, 2016, 06:13:15 AM
Quote from: Gondor on September 18, 2016, 12:36:07 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on September 17, 2016, 01:22:39 PM
Quote from: TallEng on September 17, 2016, 12:21:54 PM
How about Merlin 85/87 engines as fitted to the Lancaster VI?
would be V. useful for upengining all sorts of piston powered aircraft.
Regards
Keith

Aircraft in Miniature already does a very good North Star conversion for most of the variants, including one that would work for the Mk.VI

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page179.html

Which one though as I am unsure which version would suit.

Gondor

The first option Alistair, with the exhaust stubs sticking out on both sides, the other two are different variations of the exhaust "cross-over" so the exhaust exited on the outer side of the nacelles

Saying that. To build a B. VI you also need a faired over nose and upper turret positions as well as the engines, is that enough to make it worth while Colin?

Gondor

It wouldn't be that hard to make a copy of the Airfix Lancaster Grand Slam nose, it's the same thing, plus it has the turret blank too.

Mind you, have a chat with Martin (OGL), when I bought a copy of his tandem Hunter cockpit he very kindly added a set of his Merlin 85 nacelles to my order.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TsrJoe

saddle fuel tank for the Lancaster along with some 'Lincon' rudders for the Airfix kit ?

:mellow:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TsrJoe on September 19, 2016, 03:27:06 AM
saddle fuel tank for the Lancaster along with some 'Lincon' rudders for the Airfix kit ?

:mellow:

Someone does the Lincoln fins/rudders already, I have some stored for use on a project that uses some Lancaster parts........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Freightdog862 on September 16, 2016, 03:44:16 PM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on September 15, 2016, 03:37:56 PM
I had suggested this before but got no feedback... If Freightdog already have 1/72 F-16CFTs for the Revell kit, why not make conversion sets for the latest Vipers, the E/F/I? There are no kits or conversions of the E/F available in 1/72.

Thanks for suggestion, and apologies for not replying before. I thought these options had been covered by Hasegawa and Kinetic? I will look into them.

Colin   

No worries! :thumbsup: The only kits currently being produced in 1/72 are the Kinetic and Hasegawa, both of the F-16I Sufa, and the Isracast 1/72 Sufa conversion, so i guess that the E/F conversions would be the real novelty.
The E and F versions were limited edition from Hasegawa in 2011, now it's almost impossible to buy one because they're very rare and very expensive, kinda like the Monogram F-16XL. Last one i saw selling was sold for around 90 pounds... :o
As you already have the CFT's, you'd only need the E's tail base, a few small sensors, scoops, vents and navigation lights. Both the Sufa and the F have the short electronics spine, besides a few small scoops, they're exactly the same.
I think most of the Viper fans out there would be very interested in such conversion sets, and i imagine that quite a few whiffers would too... ;D

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

McColm

A decent two seater Spitfire and two seater Hurricane conversion set would be great in 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: DogfighterZen on September 20, 2016, 02:14:42 AM
Quote from: Freightdog862 on September 16, 2016, 03:44:16 PM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on September 15, 2016, 03:37:56 PM
I had suggested this before but got no feedback... If Freightdog already have 1/72 F-16CFTs for the Revell kit, why not make conversion sets for the latest Vipers, the E/F/I? There are no kits or conversions of the E/F available in 1/72.

Thanks for suggestion, and apologies for not replying before. I thought these options had been covered by Hasegawa and Kinetic? I will look into them.

Colin   

No worries! :thumbsup: The only kits currently being produced in 1/72 are the Kinetic and Hasegawa, both of the F-16I Sufa, and the Isracast 1/72 Sufa conversion, so i guess that the E/F conversions would be the real novelty.
The E and F versions were limited edition from Hasegawa in 2011, now it's almost impossible to buy one because they're very rare and very expensive, kinda like the Monogram F-16XL. Last one i saw selling was sold for around 90 pounds... :o
As you already have the CFT's, you'd only need the E's tail base, a few small sensors, scoops, vents and navigation lights. Both the Sufa and the F have the short electronics spine, besides a few small scoops, they're exactly the same.
I think most of the Viper fans out there would be very interested in such conversion sets, and i imagine that quite a few whiffers would too... ;D

:cheers:

Just one little detail i forgot to mention was that it would need the AESA type of radome, which has different panel lines and different lightning diverter strips and no Pitot tube, but the shape is the same so it can be done from a normal F-16 Radome, just scribe the diagonal panel line, sand the top strip and fill and shape the front end where the pitot goes. If you need pics, just ask. ;)
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Mossie

A conversation with Narses has just reminded me of something I meant to ask you about ages ago.

How about a Mk.II conversion for the Airfix Defiant?  The airframe only differed with a small extension to the leading edge of the fin.  It'd need a new prop, larger radiator and oil cooler, dipole aerials for the NF.II.  A Volks filter would be nice to add, you could also do this separately as I think some Mk.I's had them?  Six stub exhausts are another possible addition, some Mk.II's had them.  The MPM Defiant Mk.II would give you a good baseline.
http://www.model-making.eu/products/Boulton-Paul-Defiant-TT-Mk.I-III.html

There's plenty more scope for the Defiant:

TT conversion, a bit more involved and would mean a new spine and transparencies.  You could offer it with or without the Mk.II conversion to make TT.I or TT.III respectively.

Defiant P.94 single seat fighter, all that's needed is a new spine and decals.  You could pick the real-world and whiff guys in one go.

Similar to the P.94, a simple spine and decals would convert it to the prototype too.  The spines isn't quite the as the P.94 though, despite several profiles showing them as such, there's a slightly longer flat to the  prototype (both being the same airframe confuses things slightly, I think)

An ASR conversion would be nice also, however I've only seen pictures of the dinghy racks empty.

Last one for now, another real-world/whiff mix.  The prototype had light bomb racks fitted.  All Defiants had the points for these, but were never fitted with them operationally.

The Mushroom Model Magazine Special on the Defiant by Mark Ansell is a good source.  I'm sure I could loan my copy if it helps the cause!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on September 20, 2016, 02:55:47 PM

An ASR conversion would be nice also, however I've only seen pictures of the dinghy racks empty.

Last one for now, another real-world/whiff mix.  The prototype had light bomb racks fitted.  All Defiants had the points for these, but were never fitted with them operationally.

I picked up a couple of resin ASR packs at a show in the Summer. Must admit light bomb racks would be good as would the bombs as I've mentioned above
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

In 1/144 scale.
A set of P&W YT34-P-1 engines and props to  convert the Roden C-124 into the YC-124B-DL. Or even a full conversion set to make the proposed KC-124B tanker.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

KiwiZac

Something possibly too left-field for Freightdog, but something that I think could do moderately well: 1/48 Percival Gull Six/Vega Gull. John "Aeroclub" has said he's thought about it, but probably only for himself.

I'd be up for one :)
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

McColm

The Boeing EC-137 AWACS tail fin swept forward with the rotodome fitted as a separate piece. Either 1/72 or 1/144 scale.
I know that there is a 1/144 Boeing C-97 Stratofreighter AEW conversion set with three separate antennae, but there was plans for a fourth set to be fitted in the tail. Which would make the original fore-and-aft scanner system FASS!

The Wooksta!

Defiant mk II had a longer nose, similar engine as the Hurricane mk II.

Personally, I'd be happy with a rerelease of some of the Spitfire bits, such as the mk 46 contraprop and the correct prop for the mk 22.  Some of the parts from the PRXI conversion would be nice on their own too, such as the 5 spoke wheels, the prop and the radiators.

A decent and, more importantly, ACCURATE Spiteful in 72nd is desperately needed.  Preferably with optional lower cowl for the mk 14 or the later Seafang style nose.  May be worth having a word with that gadgy who did the 32nd kit?

Hawker P.1052 conversion for the Hobbyboss Sea Hawk?

Quote from: McColm on September 20, 2016, 02:34:26 AM
A decent two seater Spitfire and two seater Hurricane conversion set would be great in 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48.

Erm, why?  The AZ Spitfire 2 seater in 72nd will be rereleased at some point within the next 6 months and the Brigade fuselage conversion can still be found.  They also did one in 48th.  A Hurricane 2 seater isn't a bad idea though.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 22, 2016, 03:42:09 PM

Quote from: McColm on September 20, 2016, 02:34:26 AM
two seater Hurricane conversion set would be great in 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48.
A Hurricane 2 seater isn't a bad idea though.

Czech Omega made kits of all the two-seater Hurricanes some time ago, got a copy of them all in my stash ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike