What do you want from Freightdog? suggestions needed....

Started by Freightdog862, September 15, 2016, 12:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

It wouldn't need a whole fuselage though, only the front end, which could be moulded hollow I'd have thought.

But what do I know about resin moulding?  ;D ;D ;) ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

The Unicrap one is two fuselage half nose sections.

Quote from: zenrat on May 19, 2017, 04:20:38 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 19, 2017, 03:37:13 AM
Quote from: zenrat on May 19, 2017, 03:20:09 AM
The Mk V?
Unicraft do a conversion kit.

That answers the question as to why there should be a new conversion.  Expensive, badly moulded, ill fitting, aerated cack.

I knew you were going to say that!  ;D ;D

I've made it one of my missions in life to warn the unwary, the tempted and the gullible about Unicrap.  If I can save one person from buying this absolute excrement, then it'll be worthwhile.  As someone who moulds and casts himself, it's galling to see someone make such an absolute hash of it and charge the earth for the most shoddy and substandard resin it is possible to release. 

Boo hoo, cry his gullible supporters, he's a one man band and can't get the materials.  Sorry, that's neither excuse nor explanation which has all the substance of a soap bubble.  One man bands?  Paul Lucas, under his Airkit and Airpart brands in the early 90s, did everything himself, all hand poured but I've yet to find one substandard piece in any of the kits and conversions I've acquired over the years mastered and cast by him.  Olimp are based in the Ukraine but their resin is of a far higher standard.

The cost price of the basic resin is in real terms at an all time low, so how can he justify the sheer garbage he's using?  If Olimp can source a better resin in the same country, why can't he? He has a website, so ordering it in couldn't be easier.

And don't get me started on the double standards on his website - don't use the images without permission?  Ok, but make sure any images you've used, Unicrap conman, are credited to the original builder.  Hawker P.1030 on his website?  Joe Cherrie scratchbuild.  Was TsrJoe credited for this?  Was he fairy cakes!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 19, 2017, 03:43:14 PM
The Unicrap one is two fuselage half nose sections.

Quote from: zenrat on May 19, 2017, 04:20:38 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 19, 2017, 03:37:13 AM
Quote from: zenrat on May 19, 2017, 03:20:09 AM
The Mk V?
Unicraft do a conversion kit.

That answers the question as to why there should be a new conversion.  Expensive, badly moulded, ill fitting, aerated cack.

I knew you were going to say that!  ;D ;D

I've made it one of my missions in life to warn the unwary, the tempted and the gullible about Unicrap...

And a fine job you are doing too.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Without straying too far off-topic, the Unicraft Welly conversion is for the Frog Wellington.  Now you might say there's no such thing ---- but there is. It just wasn't released by Frog before they folded. A number of Frog-Spawn manufacturers though have produced it, I got one which is in the process of being converted.  One thing I should point out, it does NOT fit any other Wellington kit, only the Frog kit because Frog for some reason made their Wellington about 1/8" (3.2mm) deeper in the fuselage

Airfix kit

Matchbox

Frog Spawn

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

I know I'm going to regret saying this  ;D but it doesn't look that bad Robert
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

It's one of the few conversions where you may need TAIL-weight to stop it nosing over.

A mate of mine has it and he says the nose casting is IMMENSLY thick!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 20, 2017, 08:11:28 AM
It's one of the few conversions where you may need TAIL-weight to stop it nosing over.

A mate of mine has it and he says the nose casting is IMMENSLY thick!

Very true to Kit, as the top photo I posted can verify. The mating surface depth is also the thickness of the resin. And Lee's comment about it being an Aero bar

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 20, 2017, 02:16:51 AM
I know I'm going to regret saying this  ;D but it doesn't look that bad Robert

Chris, as Lee has commented on a number of times, the resin medium and quality is a lot to be desired, but some of the conversions turn out quite good when you do a bit of ""modeling""  I've got quite a few of them.

McColm

So this conversion doesn't fit any other kit apart from the Frog Wellington?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on May 20, 2017, 10:34:29 AM

So this conversion doesn't fit any other kit apart from the Frog Wellington?

Correct, unless you do a lot of work on either the conversion or the kit itself.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

It's how the photos I posted show.  Also it doesn't fit the MPM Wellingtons either, I bought one to see if it was usable. It leads me to believe Frog got it seriously wrong (the JMN's would've had a field day with it)

Here's a couple of others

PR19_Kit

I guess the Frog-spawn Wellington was the one that was easiest to find in the Ukraine when Mr. Unicraft was doing the master for the high altitude versions.

IIRC the FROG one was the only one with the side windows included, wasn't it? I had one at one time, but sold it to someone on here (Kitbasher maybe?) and it had instructions for the AIRFIX Wellington in the plastic bag!  :o

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 20, 2017, 11:11:29 AM
I guess the Frog-spawn Wellington was the one that was easiest to find in the Ukraine when Mr. Unicraft was doing the master for the high altitude versions.

I was thinking the very same thing.

It would be nice to have the same conversion tooled for any of the other whimpy kits that are now out there.

Hmm i might be able to resize the unicraft parts if I scanned them into my 3d printer. Mind you I would have to buy the conversion first. Not sure I realy want to go that far  ;D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on May 20, 2017, 11:23:06 AM

Hmm i might be able to resize the unicraft parts if I scanned them into my 3d printer. Mind you I would have to buy the conversion first. Not sure I realy want to go that far  ;D

Borrow Robert's?  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 20, 2017, 11:52:00 AM
Quote from: Martin H on May 20, 2017, 11:23:06 AM

Borrow Robert's?  ;D ;)

It's not glued together yet   :angel: