(#2 Done! pics pg.4&5 ) -- USAF F-110B Vulture

Started by TheChronicOne, September 18, 2016, 12:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Thanks everybody!! It makes it all worth it..   :laugh:

I wrestled with the rocket pods. It was a choice betwee those or bombs (what looked to me to be 250 pounder iron dumb bombs) .. I could have went either way. I think I convinced myself those blue missiles were A-A  (I didn't feel like looking them up and since this an alternate timeline with new inventions) to nix the bombs. Not that the rockets are good at air to air.. but.. imagine shooting about 20 into a Tu 95 (I suppose you could also drop a bomb on one too but that's even more ridiculous haha) !   It's odd, for sure, just like the overlapping "US".. some things are a bit "off" and I'll take it as a lesson for the next one.  :lol:  Also, I'm about to start a project using the new tool T.11 Vampire by Airfix and I want to put the bombs on that one.  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Even with the sun I'm not good at taking pics.  Still.. not too shab. I DID do one thing right, though! I didn't permanently glue those external tangs to the wings so it was easy to pop them off and back on!   :lol: :lol:

In danger of spamming here so that's enough.
-Sprues McDuck-

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

TheChronicOne

Aww shux, thanks!!   :laugh:  :lol:

EDIT (explanation): I decided to make this airplane a strange result of a time traveling incident. In the movie The Final Countdown, the carrier Nimitz is transported from back in time from 1980 to 1941. Little did we know, then, but the time vortex that swallowed up the Nimitz also opened up on the other end of what we now recognize as "Vile Vortices."  As luck would have it, on the other end of the Pacific, a MiG-27 was in flight over the ocean near Manchuria. Due to entering the vortex minutes later than the U.S. carrrier, the MiG was transported to 1951 rather than 1941. Due to instrument failure and low fuel state, the Soviet pilot was forced to put down on mainland Japan were the pilot and craft were seized by United States military forces.

Unlike the Nimitz, the pilot and MiG were  unable to make it back to their proper period in time.

One thing leads to another and the Americans spend the next few years studying, disecting, and reverse engineering the MiG. Much like with the B-29/ Tu-4, it was decided to clone this aircraft and begin production. The newly American Made aircraft were designated F-110B and given the moniker "Vulture."  The rest is alternate history!!!   :laugh: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Very nice! That Mig looks right at home with US markings, great job! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Flyer on November 13, 2016, 05:33:49 PM
Cool, looks great out in the sun. :mellow:

I like what I can remember of that movie, F-14's V's Harvard's err.. I mean Zero's etc... ;D I'll have to find it and watch it again, I think it's been 20+ years since I watched it. :o

Yeah. It was wicked! I remember when they engaged the pair of Mitsubishis...all they really did was "fly around" and the IJN pilots were so dumbfounded they merely flew themselves into the sea.  (or at least one did.. )  I hadn't seen the movie since late 80's or early 90's myself but It came up on some streaming stuff I was messing with around 4-5 years ago so I watched it again at that point. Still.. by now, some of it is kind of a blur, but it's a great movie. 

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on November 13, 2016, 06:16:28 PM

Thanks, bro!! The encouragement around here makes it worthwhile! I don't exactly get out much and certainly don't entertain visitors to come see this stuff so without you all here... I'd be the only to ever see any of it.  ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 13, 2016, 06:35:44 PM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on November 13, 2016, 06:16:28 PM

Thanks, bro!! The encouragement around here makes it worthwhile! I don't exactly get out much and certainly don't entertain visitors to come see this stuff so without you all here... I'd be the only to ever see any of it.  ;D

You're welcome, it's very much the same for me here... family doesn't care about modelling and i don't have many visitors so, i just keep modelling to myself and you guys. Besides, your model looks good and i like the story so, why keep quiet? :cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on November 14, 2016, 03:00:04 AM
Looks good in the sun.
:thumbsup:
Thanks!  She is shiny. I thought about putting a gloss goat on there but I think that it's not really necessary...  Meanwhile, I have half a mind to take all my other stuff out there to get pictures too before I make my picture gallery thread.  A fairly nice stroke of luck with my table cloth thingy also. Looks sort of like the sky.

:lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

Snowtrooper

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 11, 2016, 07:35:31 AM
I wrestled with the rocket pods. It was a choice betwee those or bombs (what looked to me to be 250 pounder iron dumb bombs) .. I could have went either way. I think I convinced myself those blue missiles were A-A  (I didn't feel like looking them up and since this an alternate timeline with new inventions) to nix the bombs.
Well, the missiles look as much AIM-9B's as a direct carbon copy (ie. K-13/AA-2 Atoll) can ;D Also, before guided missiles became the answer to everything, USAF did rely heavily on rockets as anti-bomber weapons - notably F-89 Scorpion with its huge wingtip pods full of FFAR's. So actually you have the perfect loadout for a 1950's interceptor :thumbsup:

And the overall result is lovely! NMF is never easy to pull off, but clearly you have succeeded. However, NMF can't ever be too shiny, so don't be afraid of the gloss varnish! ;D And it's amazing how natural the looks suits the 27, how easily you could actually think it was an American plane.

TheChronicOne

Thanks, bud!!  I'm glad you like it! 

I think it works pretty well, too. Looking at it now, though, I think it might have went over even better as a Navy bird but I had to work with the transfers I had.  With the variable wings and the way she sits, though, yeah...  Navy!  Still, AF has her looking sharp and ready for service.  :lol:

Now, with this out of the way and the first one I did long gone, more attention is being focused on that Spyplane. I THOUGHT I only had another hour's worth of work before I shelved it but the further I go, the more stuff I find I need to do. It is nearing completion at a nice rate, though, and it is only a matter of time before she hits the skies.
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Thanks! All I can think is that whoever cleans out all my stuff after I croak is going to be one confused person...   ;)
-Sprues McDuck-