Discussion concerning a jet-powered Supermarine Spitfire

Started by Dizzyfugu, September 19, 2016, 02:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero-Sen

Quote from: Flyer on September 20, 2016, 05:01:12 PM
I did see a picture of a model Spitfire once that had bifurcated exhausts out each side of the fuselage like that, it is a good way of keeping most of the fuselage shape. ...
PRXX-Spitjet.jpg

Dizzyfugu

Cool ideas. I also put some more thought in my build - originally I wanted to place a single exhaust under the fuselage, just like the Yak-23's (simple transplantation). But the tail wheel worries me, since I want to keep it a tailsitter. The communist solution (Yak-15) of an all-metal wheel is not very elegant, so I might change the exhaust into a bifurcated solution, but still with tight, side-by-side (maybe oval) pipes, so that the jet stream is not directly directed at the tail wheel. Not certain how feasible this is?

sandiego89

Wow that bifurcated spit by Jose Fernandes is gorgeous. 

How about a tail skid?  Spits often operated from grass strips.  With a wearable bottom section that can be bolted back on with a fresh surface when it wears down?   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

nighthunter

Diz, if anyone can make an elegant fighter out of this, it's you.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Flyer on September 21, 2016, 09:00:04 AM
Works in wiffworld regardless, but yes the tailwheel is a issue I have been trying to get around with many early jet designs without many elegant solutions to date. Maybe a deflector plate not far in front of the tailwheel that lowers with the tailwheel? (providing the tailwheel is the retractable type)

deflector plate would probably need to be spring loaded or something for if it strikes a object.

That's another idea with potential, because it is closer to the to-be-protected item.
The plan is a retractable tail wheel - I also thoughts about a fat fin or fairing, but that would not make much sense.

dumaniac

perttime

Quote from: Flyer on September 21, 2016, 09:00:04 AM
... Maybe a deflector plate not far in front of the tailwheel that lowers with the tailwheel? ...
I put a deflector on my Heston Adder tail dragger version. There must be a more elegant way to do it...

perttime

Quote from: Flyer on September 22, 2016, 02:11:02 AM
Saved a copy of that to maybe make into a profile R/C model. :thumbsup:
I have some more Hestons and 3-views in a thread here, starting from http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,34783.105.html   ,
and on deviantart: http://perttime.deviantart.com/gallery/36307404/whif-aircraft
Mainly using a little tweaked late model Spitfire wings and tailplanes.

Captain Canada

Cool stuff. The PR one sure looks good.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Zero-Sen

I don't know if it helps but here is the original picture to explain the idea of my take of the SpitJet ...
PRXX-Spitjet-tech.jpg

RAFF-35

What if the engines were mounted on the wings? Following close to the design of the meteor  :rolleyes:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

perttime

Quote from: RAFF-35 on September 24, 2016, 12:41:19 AM
What if the engines were mounted on the wings? Following close to the design of the meteor  :rolleyes:
Engines on the wings would let you put the guns in the nose - major surgery would be needed in that case too. Would the landing gear fit?

zenrat

A pair of small axial flow engines at the wing roots sitting above the wing spars with intakes in the nose and exhausts at the trailing roots would allow retention of both the wing guns and the undercarriage.  And you could fill the nose above the intakes with either fuel or more guns.  Or a second crewman.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

LOL, interesting to see how much discussion pops up around a jet-powered Spitfire. The topic seems to bear a lot of potential!  ;)

andrewj

Quote from: RAFF-35 on September 24, 2016, 12:41:19 AM

Perhaps something along these lines would fit the bill,

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,37202.0.html

Andrew