Westland Wyvern in winter camouflage

Started by Paper Kosmonaut, September 20, 2016, 11:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paper Kosmonaut

I always have had a weak spot for winter camo. Just love the stark contrasts between the white and grey and also the matte finish.
When I did the TSR2 (also somewhere here on the forum) I had plans to do a winter camo but I was so pleased with the dark grey surface I let it as is. But this next one had to be winter camouflaged. It had to.
Of course, the beautiful Wyvern only served with the Royal Navy and only saw some action in the Suez crisis. The plane turned out to be too heavy and a fuel guzzler so it only could fly short sorties. It soon was replaced by better planes. So there never was any Nordic exercise / training campaign. But I wanted to make it like it was out on such an exercise, somewhere close to the polar circle.
Now, I was working with the colours I really wanted it to be, and they were matte. So to avoid dreadful silvering of decals, I left them off. Of course the intention was to make the plane Dutch. Hence the orange spinner. But the lack of decals aside, it actually looks very cool now, unmarked and all. It even could be a privately owned plane. A little expensive to maintain, I think... Here's some pics to entertain you:

and one of the tub:

This of course is the Trumpeter kit. I left it almost completely as it should have looked, I only replaced the exhaust pipe parts for a piece of brass pipe, leading deeper into the belly so you really have a pipe instead of a superficial piece that didn't really look the part. The kit, by the way is a dream to build. But I suppose that is more or less the case with most of trumpeter's models.
I hope I can show you some more experimental stuff next time apart from just different paint jobs... I am not yet feeling ready for hard kitbashing work...
PS. The whole shebang was hand painted.
dei t dut mout t waiten!

Snowtrooper

Lovely :wub: The orange spinner creates a nice contrast, a bit like the Arctic markings on 50's-60's era US birds.

Librarian

:wub: the Wyvern and always enjoy something different...and that's a new one on me. Very nice :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Very nice ! Looks right in that colour combo.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

tc2324

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

zenrat

Quote from: Paper Kosmonaut on September 20, 2016, 11:22:12 AM
...The kit, by the way is a dream to build. But I suppose that is more or less the case with most of trumpeter's models...

Not built one of their 1/25 cars have you...

I love this.  Glad it builds well as i've got one to do one day.
Good job.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Paper Kosmonaut

Quote from: zenrat on September 21, 2016, 04:06:45 AM
No, in fact, I have never built a plastic model car in my life. In paper, I have. But that is a different story. This model is a good build anyway. Except, like I said, for the exhausts. Replace them with some real piping to make them look the part.

And thank you all for the kind words! It's really appreciated.
dei t dut mout t waiten!

Dizzyfugu

Cool. Makes me wonder what a land-based RAF Wyvern in Grey/Green scheme - or potentially in respective winter camo - might look like? Hmmm...

NARSES2

That does look good. Makes it look clunkier as well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Beautiful, even though it does remind me that winter is not far away.  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

Quote from: The Rat on September 21, 2016, 09:08:38 AM
Beautiful, even though it does remind me that winter is not far away.  :thumbsup:

Yeah! not long now, the mountains just west of where I am have already had a good covering of the 'white stuff'
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

Glorious!!! I like the top down picture the best. Gets the outline of the plane and emphasizes the winter scheme.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :mellow: :lol:

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: Paper Kosmonaut on September 21, 2016, 05:01:15 AM
Quote from: zenrat on September 21, 2016, 04:06:45 AM
No, in fact, I have never built a plastic model car in my life...

Well if you ever get the urge to build one, don't make the first one you try a Trumpeter kit.  They have some, shall we say eccentricities?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..