USN Defiant

Started by tc2324, September 20, 2016, 03:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

This year has been about real world subjects and dioramas which have been for the most part fun and enjoyable to create.

Lately however it all seems a little mundane, so to quote a line from a Take That song, I need to Relight My Fire.

With various versions of it now appearing on here, it`s time to add mine. So step forward Mr Airfix and his 1/48 BP Defiant.

So `what if` Boulton Paul answered a call from the US Navy in 1940 to submit a dive bomber carrier based version of their Defiant?

Progress so far has amounted to gathering various bits starting with the back end bit of a Sea Hurricane including the hook.

The overall shape of that area is very similar to both types so should be reasonably easy bash together.

Next are a couple of flappy bits that will become the dive brakes similar to the Dauntless. I foresee lots of small drill bits breaking.....!

Not sure if this is going to work out or not, but lets see if a bubble canopy can be fitted?

.....  and last but not least, some bombs and ground crew to finish off the look.

Who knows if this is going to work or even look good, but as with all whiffery, it`s the journey that counts.

More soon.
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Captain Canada

Sounds like a good plan !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Quote from: tc2324 on September 20, 2016, 03:16:09 PM
Not sure if this is going to work out or not, but lets see if a bubble canopy can be fitted?

That's really weird, I've just been asking a similar question to brother Narses via PM.  I've checked a few blown canopies for fit with the 1/72 Defiant, Spitfire didn't really fit (the canopy sides are not parallel, unlike the Defiant).  P-40N is too deep, Corsair is too large, I tried a Gannets which is far too large.  The only one I can think of that might work and is easily available is the P-51 Macolm Hood, but I don't have one.  I've asked Narses to have a look, but if anyone has the canopy and kit and a few spare minutes I'd very much appreciate it.

I like the Defiant and a USN version should be special.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

TheChronicOne

Cool, bro!!  This looks like it will be a good'n. 

Bonne chance avec le bubble canopy.   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Waiting for more with bated breath! :mellow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

tc2324

Thanks chaps and I`ll get an update up asap.

Quote from: Mossie on September 20, 2016, 03:30:09 PM
Quote from: tc2324 on September 20, 2016, 03:16:09 PM

That's really weird, I've just been asking a similar question to brother Narses via PM.  I've checked a few blown canopies for fit with the 1/72 Defiant, Spitfire didn't really fit (the canopy sides are not parallel, unlike the Defiant).  P-40N is too deep, Corsair is too large, I tried a Gannets which is far too large.  The only one I can think of that might work and is easily available is the P-51 Macolm Hood, but I don't have one.  I've asked Narses to have a look, but if anyone has the canopy and kit and a few spare minutes I'd very much appreciate it.

I like the Defiant and a USN version should be special.

Thanks for the heads up there Mossie. I`m pretty sure one of the Spit canopy`s shown is for an `open` option. If I have the canopy open I think I can hide the sides that are not parallel. Otherwise I`ll investigate that Malcolm hood idea. 

Tiger, Tiger!

Dizzyfugu

How about a radial engine? The USN was allergic towards any inline engine...  :o

tc2324

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 21, 2016, 05:03:41 AM
How about a radial engine? The USN was allergic towards any inline engine...  :o

The thought had crossed my mind Dizzy.

I had concerns that the sleek shape of the front end of the Defiant would make a radial look very out of place and really I want to keep the Defiant looking like a Defiant. Usually, especially at the start of the war,  most modifications were `bolt on` so that the type could operate in the role it was requested to do. The first Seafire`s being a good example with just the tail hook and strengthened u/c IIRC.

So my thinking is that Boulton Paul would of sent a pretty standard Defiant with tail hook, strong u/c with hard points on the wings for any trials. I would imagine that changing the turret guns to .50 cal and folding wings would of come later if the USN had gone with it. (Hmmm, folding wings.....)

Going back to the canopy issue, I`m also looking at the Firefly canopy which might be a better match as well as thinking about forward firing cannon? 

Tiger, Tiger!

kitnut617

Quote from: tc2324 on September 21, 2016, 06:35:44 AM

I had concerns that the sleek shape of the front end of the Defiant would make a radial look very out of place and really I want to keep the Defiant looking like a Defiant. Usually, especially at the start of the war,  most modifications were `bolt on` so that the type could operate in the role it was requested to do.

Bristol Hercules were supposed to be a 'bolt-on' alternative power unit for the Hurricane,

(found on the internet of someones very nice job of it)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

This is definitely becoming the Season of the Defiant. I to have plans for a dive bomber version but mine will be F.A.A. and I'm currently building the standard F.A.A. sea Defiant turret fighter.

I checked out the Malcolm Hood for Mossie and here's my answer to him.

"Right I only have one Mustang with a Malcolm Hood in the stash and that's the Hasegawa one (could have sworn I had the Revell one ?). I tried it on the Airfix Defiant and width wise it's perfect, length wise it's fine as well. The problem comes with the height. It's very tall compared to the Defiant canopy and the windscreen is totally the wrong shape. The Mustang's is at a steep angle and is twice/three times the depth of the Defiant's. You'd need to cut it right down or replace it. Whichever I think it wouldn't be easy.

Just to see what it was like I tried an early Spitfire (Airfix Mk I early) canopy on it as well. Result is that width wise it's fine, windscreen is o.k., would need a little work but not much and length wise it's fine but you would have to build the Defiant's fuselage sides up at the rear of the canopy where the Spitfire's is quite shallow. Wouldn't be difficult at all and if you had a Mk V or Mk IX canopy it might give you the look you want ?

Chris"

In 1/72 the Spit canopy is the easiest solution, still needs a little work, especially to the rear, but just holding one to the Defiant it looks ok.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tc2324

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 21, 2016, 07:36:37 AM
Quote from: tc2324 on September 21, 2016, 06:35:44 AM

I had concerns that the sleek shape of the front end of the Defiant would make a radial look very out of place and really I want to keep the Defiant looking like a Defiant. Usually, especially at the start of the war,  most modifications were `bolt on` so that the type could operate in the role it was requested to do.

Bristol Hercules were supposed to be a 'bolt-on' alternative power unit for the Hurricane,

(found on the internet of someones very nice job of it)

That really is a very nice job and I`m beginning to reconsider. I may go for the compromise and build this one `as is` and then build a version after it`s been tinkered with by the Americans.

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 21, 2016, 07:38:52 AM
This is definitely becoming the Season of the Defiant. I to have plans for a dive bomber version but mine will be F.A.A. and I'm currently building the standard F.A.A. sea Defiant turret fighter.

I checked out the Malcolm Hood for Mossie and here's my answer to him.

"Right I only have one Mustang with a Malcolm Hood in the stash and that's the Hasegawa one (could have sworn I had the Revell one ?). I tried it on the Airfix Defiant and width wise it's perfect, length wise it's fine as well. The problem comes with the height. It's very tall compared to the Defiant canopy and the windscreen is totally the wrong shape. The Mustang's is at a steep angle and is twice/three times the depth of the Defiant's. You'd need to cut it right down or replace it. Whichever I think it wouldn't be easy.

Just to see what it was like I tried an early Spitfire (Airfix Mk I early) canopy on it as well. Result is that width wise it's fine, windscreen is o.k., would need a little work but not much and length wise it's fine but you would have to build the Defiant's fuselage sides up at the rear of the canopy where the Spitfire's is quite shallow. Wouldn't be difficult at all and if you had a Mk V or Mk IX canopy it might give you the look you want ?

Chris"

In 1/72 the Spit canopy is the easiest solution, still needs a little work, especially to the rear, but just holding one to the Defiant it looks ok.

Cheers for this Chris, very helpful and wondered if you had a Firefly canopy you could try out?

Tiger, Tiger!

NARSES2

Quote from: tc2324 on September 21, 2016, 08:05:39 AM

Cheers for this Chris, very helpful and wondered if you had a Firefly canopy you could try out?

Just checked the SH FR 1 canopy to the Defiant and it's way to wide I'm afraid
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

What a gorgeous Hurricane ! Nice find  :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tc2324

The surgery has began.

I have cut the inner trailing wing edges so that the dive brakes can be added. The cut off`s will become the enlarges flaps to handle carrier landing slower speeds. (ok, I may have got that slightly wrong, but hey-ho, it`s a whif after all...)

The rear bottom end of the Sea Hurricane has been trimmed to fit as has the bottom rear of the Defiant. It`s a mess, but hopefully you can all see where I`m going with it.

Tiger, Tiger!