Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

NO JOY!!

This paint ain't gon' fly.

It's like a 1967 polyester couch caught a disease.  ;D ;D ;D

Going to paint over the entire mess with OD green and start anew. I'm not through by a long shot, though, I'm going to try some more whacky camo of some sort.  :thumbsup:

This was an interesting attempt but no one can convince that this doesn't look like @$$:

;D ;D ;D

Good lord.  I tried to "make it better" after this even but it just got worse.  ;D

I STILL think the topographical map inspired paint job could be a smashing success, I just don't have the artistic ability (yet! ) to make it work.

Sunk a ton of hours into this but I'm honestly not that disappointed... a negative result is still a result and the experience gained and knowledge acquired holds its own value so... no biggie. 

I have 3-4 ideas circulating around in my head about the next attempt... one of which involves rattle cans and torn up paper towels.  :o ;)
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

It does look like a map actually, but not of anywhere you'd be wanting to take a stroll through, it's far too hilly!

But I agree, it doesn't really work on an aeroplane, a pity.  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Sure doesn't. It's not refined yet but even with refinement this is just not going to work. Far too busy for one thing, and the colors aren't right, not to mention the pattern didn't fall right either.

Scratching the paper towel idea as well because it is a two color affair and I'm shooting for three. HMMMMM..... 

My next idea is much simpler but will still be more than a simple, common scheme. Good part is, it is more suited to things I already know I can do.  :angel: ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 20, 2017, 05:23:48 PM

The last two colours work, Brad. I'd be looking at toned down colours instead of the bright yellow & tan. Most topo maps seem to use shades of the same colours varying from palest for highest to darkest for lowest.

You can also blend a bit of earth brown with the green for the higher levels, too, to give some variation.

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 20, 2017, 03:13:58 PM
Quote from: Flyer on October 20, 2017, 12:31:37 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 20, 2017, 10:17:24 AM
Now there's a thought.. a whole series of craft made from doing just that. Zero and a Hellcat...
Bring on the Zellcat. :wacko:
Well it's either that or the Mitsumman Helro!  ;D ;D ;D

Or the Grumsubishi Zercat. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

;D ;D ;D

Best one yet.

Man, that damned yellow color.... in the bottle it looks much more subdued (as all wet paint does, but still). It was like a ... more "sunny" sand type of looking color. The camera flash makes it worse but even in person it is WAY too yellow. ;D 

I was down with gradients at first, I even had 6-7 shades of green paint on stand by, etc, but then I realized that for the size of the thing I don't have tiny enough brushes or good enough skill to even put it on there so I had to improvise.  Larger "rings," less colors...    :rolleyes:      :o ;D   It turned out like vomit.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

I like it.
However, you don't and its your model.
I reckon if you paint over the damn yellow with the dark green then you might like the result.

If you had an airbrush I would suggest putting a filter over the top of the camo which would mute the damn yellow and tie the colours together more.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 21, 2017, 03:19:45 AM

I reckon if you paint over the damn yellow with the dark green then you might like the result.

Exactly my thoughts. The other idea would be to put int in a Vietnam scenario and say the ground crew had been on the "wacky baccy"   :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

IMHO, it would look better if the yellow was sand type color like you thought it was but i do like the topographic type of scheme. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

I don't have to give up on it just yet! I can try the tan color and do some refining and see what develops. After I took that picture I tried a little more to make it better but I just kept adding black, I didn't think to squash the yellow color (HEH HEH HEHEHEH) and go with the tan. I'll try that first and see if it improves the look any.  :mellow: :mellow:

I suppose this is to be expected when trying new things, yeah? At least it ain't PSR!  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 21, 2017, 08:45:38 AM
I don't have to give up on it just yet! I can try the tan color and do some refining and see what develops. After I took that picture I tried a little more to make it better but I just kept adding black, I didn't think to squash the yellow color (HEH HEH HEHEHEH) and go with the tan. I'll try that first and see if it improves the look any.  :mellow: :mellow:

I suppose this is to be expected when trying new things, yeah? At least it ain't PSR!  ;D

Hey, don't take me seriously when it comes to color opinions, i'm known to be a sorry monochromatic chump...  ;D I'm sure you'll make it look good, for the shape itself that bird is a winner! :thumbsup:
Sure, laugh away, i'm done with it now... and i'm sure i'll soon read something about it around here... ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

I just remembered that I actually own two, cheap, airbrushes. They should work alright for doing wide coverage (all I'd need most of the time anyway, I suspect) so I'm going to purchased a regulater/trap and figure out what doo-dads I need to convert it to fit on my air tank and see what kind of shennanigans I can get into.

Reason I mention all this is because I've been trying to score a Badger if I can find one in my price range ($50 or LESS) but I'm having a hard time doing that. I figure, I wouldn't mind paying up for one but hesitant to do that lest it become a fancy paper weight. Then I remembered the two I already have so... perfect! I don't have to fork out a pile of cash to learn whether or not I even like it. I have an F-14A build coming up and I'd like to airbrush the, what I believe to be, overall grey. So.... from what I've heard airbrush paint lays down a lot smoother than rattle can so that sounds like a plus. Definitely quicker than hand brushing, too... so... yeah. Can't wait to try it out.  :lol:

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 21, 2017, 09:25:11 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 21, 2017, 08:45:38 AM

Hey, don't take me seriously when it comes to color opinions, i'm known to be a sorry monochromatic chump...  ;D I'm sure you'll make it look good, for the shape itself that bird is a winner! :thumbsup:
Sure, laugh away, i'm done with it now... and i'm sure i'll soon read something about it around here... ;D

I happen to agree, though.  ;D ;D     This yellow isn't what I expected by a longshot... I was thinking of more like a... dirty camel sand color and I got SQAUSH MUSTARD. I mean, that would be alright if it fit with the other colors!  :o ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Action-Gravity-Feed-0-3mm-Gun-Spray-Airbrush-Nail-Art-Paint-Kit-Tattoo-Tool-/381359084340?epid=2120951495&hash=item58cac5d334:g:0lkAAOSwnDZT4fS5

This is the same as i've been using for just over 2 years now, with no issues at all, as long as it's clean. It's better than a single action airbrush, and cheap enough for what it lasts. IMOH, it's an ideal choice for beginners.

PR19_Kit

Blimey, at that price it's a steal if it works OK.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Specially if they last as long as mine is lasting, wouldn't mind paying that every 2 years... with that said, i still have to try out my Harder&Steinbeck Evolution to really see the difference from a cheap airbrush.