Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on November 05, 2016, 01:59:21 AM
:o It's true... Sprues McDuck does exist...
;D

This similarities between vaults is there.  Heck, all them models were piles of money at one time, if one were to think of it that way... lol

My stash isn't near that but it's starting to get to the point where I need to consider better storage options.  Let alone what to do with it all once I start getting them made?!?!?   And best believe I don't plan on stopping looking for great kit deals any time soon, either. I swear, some of the most fun of this hobby is the hunt for kits...buying kits... then just simply owning them. Not many other hobbies are quite the same.
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

;D I've never tried to sum up all the money i've spent since late 2013, when i got back into the hobby, but i'm certain i've spent more than 1000€ just on complete kits... In fact, i've probably spent more than 3000...  :o
104 complete kits in my stash, and i was lucky enough to find all of my holy grail OOP kits, and now that my storage space is full, means i have to increase production rate to keep clearing up some space for the eventual future acquisitions... :rolleyes:
I also agree that the hunt for the kits is part of the whole fun, i've learned quite a few things about the history and evolution of the hobby just by looking up info on old, OOP kits. The reward of finally buying and actually having said kits on my hands is like holding a rare piece of the modelling history.
And although the quest for my holy grail kits is over, i can always think of so many other models i'd like to buy and build... :rolleyes:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Good to know on the Holy Grail kits.....Something of a relief to wrap up such a process. :D   I'm of the mind that "holy grail" could potentially be a rotating term!!  Once I find my grails.... the title will probably just shift to something else....  Lots and LOTS of neat subject matter out there and some of it is hard to find or plain expensive.

That said, I've noticed over the past decade or so people using the term "Holy Grail" far too often and for sometimes seemingly just awesome things and not exactly true grails. I mean.. Jesus' cup or whatever... was only one cup. I couldn't count how many times I've seen the America Pickers guys or the guys that build cars and stuff talk about finding a "Holy Grail."   Like.... they seem to find them all the time.   ;D ;D

Anyway.. sitting down now to watch some American Football (Hand-Egg to the rest of ya's  :P )  I have my favorite team playing, we're doing well this season, they just sang the anthem as a Globemaster flew over the stadium. I'm going to get back to work on my F-110B. 

I keep having problems with my U2 w/re. the horizontal stabs breaking off or bending. I guess something fell on the damn thing last night and one was cocked downward at about a 22.5 degree angle. In the process of removing It I broke the other one off...lmao   :banghead: :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

If you have some thin brass rod; drilling a couple of holes through the fuselage & then a couple of matching holes into each of the tail-plane units, cutting the rod to match & then gluing on should fix the issue by giving the joins that bit of extra depth & rigidity. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Damn sure do have some of that in the form of good ol' old fashioned wire coat hangers (reasonable facsimile anyway). Why didn't I think of that?!?!

Thanks a million!! If my big clumsy butt breaks them off again I'll do that.

If i keep going like this eventually the glue build up is going to have the things longer than spec. :P  :P   ;D

Great tip. 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Via happenstance, I had 4 out of 5 of the models I've completed since I got back into modeling about half a year ago sitting on the TV stand. I decided to add the 5th so I could get them all in one shot!!

That Mustang, I believe, I might not have mentioned here?? THAT was the first one I've done after 20 year break, then the white Yak with the weird radar contraption. Next one I did was Capt. Kirks V-tail Bonanza there, then, the camo thing was a Yak 9 I did for practice leading up to the old kit GB, then, the Funky Chicken there with the feathers and stuff was the most recently completed build.   :laugh: :laugh:

I'm having a blast being back doing this and connecting with other like minded individuals.   :lol:

That said, I've settled finally on how I am to approach the WIM boards here without spamming the joint up or looking like an attention (woman of the night.) :

With the exception of group builds, I'll keep all me projects, updates, in progress photos, (memes and funny stories and ruminations! ) and things of this nature contained here in my blog. In addition to this, I will create a "chronic's hangar" or some such in the Current and Finished Projects forum.  There, I will dispense with all the minutiae and just post pics of my finished models and that way others and MYSELF will be able to see, quickly and without having to dig through tons of pages/posts, the finished projects themselves.

I'll provide links and such to the pertinent blog pages that have the details and, as always, discussion is encouraged both places!

AHEM.. just went and found a pic of the P 51.  It was made to be a Mirror Universe (Star Trek) Terran Empire Air Force p 51.  I tried my hand at making it look weathered and dirty because... mirror universe...

Anyway, thank you all who are stopping by and enjoying looking at my wares!! Look for my "hangar" to appear soon.   :laugh:

Brad
-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Captain Canada on November 07, 2016, 07:08:20 PM
http://www.planet.eon.net/~engthg/

Hot dog!!!!   :D    I was just a few minutes ago rolling this idea around in my head again after I saw ercircr's blue Pontoon Buccaneer.

Bookmarked it with bolded letters "BUY ENGINES HERE"   ;D

In fact, I just checked ebay and I won the Hercules. $9 total.. shipping and all...  I don't understand why these aren't more popular?? Even in 1/200 the model itself winds up being over a foot long.... it comes with EIGHT engines....  nicely shaped, long wings........Floats.....   etc...   I'd like to have 20 of these things just for the damn parts!

(or perhaps I should keep my trap shut so the prices don't go up...  :P :P   )

:laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I know the feeling.  MOST frustrating!  I've taken to not even opening the Ebay tab and staying well away from the hobby store...   Works pretty well for the most part!  That said, if I'm in either place, I run the risk of either losing all my money, or being frustrated all to hell about all the sweet wares I can't get.

With that said... I opened up ebay just long enough to buy my first every Tamiya tape!!!!  6mm refill for $4.70 total, shipped right to my door. I WAS going to go look at the hobby shop to get it but I don't want to be tempted to buy anything else... so...   Yeah.. Can't beat this price, either, I think it's a full $2-3 more at the store not counting burning the fuel getting there and back.  I have to have this for my F/U-2 because I'm desperately trying to keep the flubs to a minimum.  That's one more thing knocked out to get that bird completed. Now, just need to get the paint.

Next phase, I guess, is to finish scratch building the sensor eye and the antennas.. also, I need to come up with some more clear parts that go on the belly that I didn't realize earlier were missing. Then, it's on to getting the camo layed out and paper masks created. THAT ought to be interesting because I've never done it before. It's necessary to achieve the proper effect though..
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

The cat stroke would rip the front wheel off and fling it into the ocean and the rest of the plane would be sitting there!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

Quote from: kerick on November 11, 2016, 02:09:53 PM
The cat stroke would rip the front wheel off and fling it into the ocean and the rest of the plane would be sitting there!

Right?!   :o ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen