Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

With you 100% on that. This whole shape of this one is better if you ask me. You had mentioned before at one time and I totally agree... while the RA5C has its merits, this "A" version sans the humpback just looks so sleek and clean.  :wub: :wub:   Works really well with a delta wing.  :wub: :wub:

In fact, a late, breaking development on this one involving a name change. Seeing how it is RAF and of the same era as the V-Bombers... and there's more than a passing resemblance to the Vulcan as far as the wings go....  This will henceforth be the Vanquish.   :laugh:  "Morningstar" is a beautiful name so I'll use it on something else but I can't NOT make this kind of/sort of in the "V" family.

<_<

Just wish I had enough time to build up my MPC Vulcan to sit along side but uhhh........ can't be gettin' carried away here..
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 25, 2017, 12:57:18 PM
OK, second set of windows barely glued into the Mitsubishi...

Sometimes with windows of that size it's easier to use something like Klearfix or even white glue.

That Polet scheme is gorgeous on that Ruslan  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Well, that's what I WAS going to do but I was able to pop the windows out so easily I figured I could pop them back in just as. Boy was I wrong!  ;D ;D 

Which leads to my next conundrum. DISASTER STRIKES:

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:   ;D ;D

Working on the infernal windows when I thought it prudent to just put a tiiiiiiny dab of glue coming in from the outside. Well... the "whatever" effect took over (you know the one... that allows liquids to flow and run like crazy when it comes in contact with something... same effect that pulls glue out of the bottle without having to squeeze it as you run a bead along seams... as usual I can't recall the name of this..) and a big puddle of glue shot out and pooled up on the glorious paint job that I so lovingly applied.

ATE THAT STUFF AWAY IN AN INSTANT!  Rather than let a big blob of glue sit on there I immediately wiped it away and of course every last layer of silver came with it, right down to the gloss black.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:    FOR THE LOVE OF....    ;D ;D 

If I take my time and do it correctly, however, I don't think it'll be too much of a task to gently sand it back smooth and then spray it back. I'll have to HOLD something over the windows as I do it (I don't DARE put any masking tape on this) but I'll figure out a way to muddle through. I may need to use my handy little Helping Hands stand to help me out.  :lol:

What a set back, though!! The windows are good to go, now, and I was at the stage that I was going to start the transfers. SHEESH!  ;D  Maybe in a few days as I'll obviously want to let it set around for no less than two.

Also continuing PSR work on the Vanquish (former Morningstar... I wanted to kind of hop on the V-Bomber vibe...). This PSR work is coming along kind of slowly but it's going really well. I have a little more glue on the stuff that needs it and letting it dry up. No big hurry because I need to do the aforementioned repair work on the Mitsubishi but even after that is done I still have stuff to do on the Polet Air Cargo H4 Hercules.  :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

In other modelling news.. I've decided to jump into the 1/144 airliners game and am slowly looking at/attempting to buy some kits off the ol' eBay. It'll be hard to resist starting one immediately when it gets here!  :mellow: :mellow:

EDIT:

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH.   Took the clothes pins off and everywhere they were they PRESSED the pattern of the micro-cloth into the finish.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I knew this was a very delicate finish but I didn't know it would be THAT delicate. I'm afraid to breath on the damn thing, now.  :rolleyes:

Ah well... this is more sanding to do but it won't be no big deal... I just hope that the new paint blends well with the old paint. If it doesn't then I'm going to have to come up with a new plan. Like.... might have to sand down the entire wings and... top half of the fuselage. Man I hope not!!  ;D :o   

Anyway.... I guess I'll be sanding on this for awhile then I'll start putting paint on it again.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

OK, it took less than 5 minutes to sand and it took less time to spray than it did to shake up the rattle can.  ;D ;D

Good news is, it LOOKS like it's going to be just fine!  :laugh:   (we'll see after it dries)

NOW... I'm going to get while the gettin' is good and I'll be over yonder ::::points at the Boat plane GB::::: working on me Hercules.  :angel: :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Never mind the marks.  Just look at those lovely HUGE rivets.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

These things are sent to try us they say. I'd like to find whichever so and so sends them though  ;D

Still you appear to have it sorted  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Totally!!

And I think you're right, seems to have been a problem that was solved easily enough. Paint went back on and blended in very well!!!  Nothing but cup-holders as far as the eye can see!  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 28, 2017, 09:09:07 AM
Totally!!

And I think you're right, seems to have been a problem that was solved easily enough. Paint went back on and blended in very well!!!  Nothing but cup-holders as far as the eye can see!  ;D

Good to know you've recovered it, after so much TLC put into it. Now you be more careful, mister! ;D :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

I've done the same when polishing clear on model car bodies.
I'll hold the body in a piece of cloth to avoid fingerprints and leave "weave prints" in the clear because i've put it on too heavily and while it feels dry its still soft.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on November 29, 2017, 02:02:39 AM
I've done the same when polishing clear on model car bodies.
I'll hold the body in a piece of cloth to avoid fingerprints and leave "weave prints" in the clear because i've put it on too heavily and while it feels dry its still soft.

I've done it, too. And even after paint is fully cured, just for holding the model for too long in my hand.
I tend to have sweaty hands so the paint heated under my fingers and the fingerprints were very well defined on a silver paint job... :rolleyes:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

I'll just say this: I've made it a point to go buy them cotton gloves and when I have 'em I'm not going to be just man handling the thing... just barely holding it so I can finish putting it all together. Lesson learned. This paint had been sitting around drying something like 3 weeks but from the way people talk about it, it never really reaches a point where it can be handled.

This said, I'm making the "big push" today on it to try to get it finished. Just have to pop one row of windows back in and then I can start the transfers.

More sanding and the like on the Vanquish in the in between times and of course more work on the Hercules over in the Floatin' GB. That thing is coming along really well and I can start painting on it soon. The wings and tail planes are all ready to be glued on then I may need to PSR on the join areas. I'll be starting to paint on the little things for sure... like the props and maybe the engine cowlings after I decided just what type of paint scheme I want.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Ahhh yes, all the plans I had for the Mitsu... turned into just working on the Hercules for the group build. Ah well!  Maybe again today? I'm in no hurry on it and truth be told, the more time the paint has to just sit around and do nothing, the better.

Working on the Vanquish this morning a little bit. Both canopies are bowed out and too wide for the fuselage so I'm having to use clamps to get everything flush and glue around them. I only did the rear canopy as the forward one I'd like to do a little more dry fitting alongside the windscreen to be sure everything fits right. That's next though... I need these glued on so I can PSR the seams then move on to the next thing, which, I think, will be the fin.

Good news is I'm done with all the work on the wings. I THINK. I'll find out more when I prime but it all looks pretty decent.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 02, 2017, 06:01:09 AM

Both canopies are bowed out and too wide for the fuselage so I'm having to use clamps to get everything flush and glue around them.

That'll be some 'squishing' then.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 02, 2017, 02:16:55 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 02, 2017, 06:01:09 AM

Both canopies are bowed out and too wide for the fuselage so I'm having to use clamps to get everything flush and glue around them.

That'll be some 'squishing' then.  ;D ;)
Yessuh.....    ;D

When I saw the ordeal I was facing I immediately thought of your recent squishing shenanigans.  ;D   I lucked out here because both the sides of the canopy and the sides of the fuselage are nice and STRAIGHT.... no round or oblong C.R.A.P. so it was easy enough to work with.  :mellow: :mellow:  I also lucked out in that the canopy isn't all clear and I get to plop the actual glass pieces in last.  :lol:

Moving on... I'm finally applying transfers to the Mitsubishi plane. I'm not going to do them all at once, not for lack of time, but for lack of wanting to reach "burn out" and start messing it all up. I got all the upper wing surfaces knocked out and they look good! Transfers didn't want to come off the backing paper, I think they were stored someplace where it got nice and hot. That would also explain the instructions booklet sticking to them. ANYWAY... I managed to peel them off like stickers and get them on. One I had to scrape, scrape, scrape, the backing paper residue off of. Luckily these old azz transfers are strong.  ;D

No more pictures of the whole thing so as not to ruin the big reveal but here's a couple close ups:

Hey, the meatball even sunk down into the cupholders!

Next order of business involves a surprise development and the first time I've ever had more than three builds going at once. I got this itty bitty C-5A today and I'd love to get started on it! It's 1/480 scale but is about the same length as a 1/72 P-51. About 0.5 inch longer.  Wings are nearly the same, too, once compensating for being swept and deciding upon a "happy medium!"

Probably would have been better without the plastic making reflections and stuff but oh well, it works!

Sorry, but this won't be WHIF, it's going to be the glorious white over grey MAC stuff.

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Nipples-Go looks good Brad C.  Red and chrome.  :thumbsup:
Fred