Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

You could use black tape for the stripes on the nacelles...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on December 27, 2017, 11:23:39 PM
You could use black tape for the stripes on the nacelles...
No need! I have about 3 feet worth of 2mm wide black stripe transfers.  ;D It's just at the very back end where the nacelles meet the wing, rather than do a bunch of tedious measuring and cutting, I'll go ahead paint those portions. They'll be hybrid paint/decal stripes.  :mellow: :mellow: 

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 28, 2017, 02:16:11 AM
Coming along nicely  :thumbsup:
Thanks! Glorious civvie stuff is fun. I totally dig all the bright, nice colors. This livery looks good on here. Hell, I think it looks better on this thing than the An-124s!  ;D   I ought to build a little tug boat and paint it up similar to go with this thing.  :rolleyes: :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Most work being done is on the Hercules. I'm about to gloss it here in a minute but I need to go open up my shop (outside) because I can't spray this thing outdoors because of the STUPID STUPID OKLAHOMA WIND So stupid and so stupid they make songs about it. ALWAYS WINDY ALWAYS STUPID.  :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: 

;D

Sometimes, if the wind is in the right direction, I can open up my window and stick the plane outside and spray it and let the wind carry off the spray but this thing is too big to do that. Only problem with the shop is that it is ultra dusty. I'll spray in there, because it is out of the wind, but then me and the plane come back inside. If I have to re-coat it, that will be the back and forth. Kind of a pain but at least it's getting done.

F-16 work and Mustang work, too. Sanded away all the runs on the wings for the Falcon and they are ready to be re-primed. After that sets up a bit I'll go over it with white.  A nice matte white  for the yellow to go on to. After that dries up, I'll paint the red/white stripes on the rudder and ailerons then paint a blue bar that goes on the ends. After that, I'll mask all that off then actually glue the main wings back on so that the seams slowly fill up with paint and look better. Probably won't have to use any filler or anything so that's good. 2mm masking tape arrived today just in time for the stripes, too.

Piss on it... I tried, but can't get the pictures to work so I'll come back later with that.     :rolleyes:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

OOOOk-lahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain,
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet, When the wind comes right behind the rain.
OOOOk-lahoma, Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I, Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk makin' lazy circles in the sky.

Although maybe not a Hawk unless it was an international visitor for some sort of exercise or air show.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

TheChronicOne

;D ;D ;D ;D

I imagine at SOME point over the decades some type of Hawk, maybe even a 200  :wub: , had to have been at one of the air shows in Oklahoma.  :lol: :lol:  The one I keep wanting to go to is huge and brings in stuff from all over.

In typical fashion, the picture I was trying to get posted is a pile.  ;D 

Not sure if anything else will be done to this OR the Mustang tonight as I'm getting into the transfers on the Herc finally and that may take awhile. I hope not, but I'm prepared for it to last 4 hours and if could very well take all four.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Floatplane is done;

I took a picture or two of the underside before I put the tiny propellers on so I wouldn't break them but the rest are complete build pics.

This is one of the coolest looking planes in my collection now!  :o :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I hope the sun comes out soon and the wind dies down. We're all in winter storm mode and it's cloudy and windy and sub zero all the time so taking pics outside is bunk. I'll manage it within the next week or so.

Meanwhile, I also managed to get a bit of work done on my "Little Friend" as well and it's ready for the next phase. There're a bit of "smoothness" issues and such that I might or might not sand away, just depends. I have half a mind to just keep going anyway. Real planes ain't so pretty and this one wouldn't be so .... pfft..  ;D

I contemplated putting rails on the wingtips and hanging some Aim-9s on them but that would look ridiculous.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

You're right.  You should put a Phoenix on each wingtip instead.   ;D
Fred

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on December 30, 2017, 01:19:43 AM
You're right.  You should put a Phoenix on each wingtip instead.   ;D
HA! Take the warheads off and they could be propulsion.  :o ;D

I'm going to have to look at my F-14 kit and see if it has any Phoenixes as I'd like to do a size comparison all of a sudden. I'd be willing to bet they look MACRO as hell next to a Mustang which if my mind's eye is right is half or less the size of a Tomcat.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

OK!!! Time to press on! I'm going to do a bit more sanding on the Mustang to get the rough spots by the wing roots cleaned up then I'll prime it one last time and should be painting on it by early afternoon. I was very close to just skipping over the clean up but thankfully I reasoned with myself and it really shouldn't be that much effort to make it look better. Will start that in a couple minutes.

For the Fightin' Falcon I am at the point now where I can start painting yellow on certain parts. Not sure how this will go because on 3-4 of the pieces I had to sand down areas where primer pooled up along the trailing edges. I THOUGHT I got it nice and smooth but you can still see a "line" going through it. I'm needing to put white on top of them before the yellow. I'll re-assess how this stuff looks after doing so. I'd like to spray it white but not sure if I have any white rattle can paint? May have to just hairy stick it. Also PSR will begin on the area where I glued in the single cockpit roof piece.

Now for the part that's "funny."  Sometimes I open my window up here and hold parts outside to spray them. (only if the wind is blowing OUT the window, of course!!) But anyway.... WOOPS there went the fin!!! I told myself I'd grab it next time I went outside but I forgot so now it's been sitting out on the ground in the snow and weather for 3 days. I might have to sand it back down and re-paint it.  ;D

:o

It's down there somewhere within proximity to that can that blew up!  ;D ;D ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

;D

EDIT:  OK!  Found it. Proved the truth that memory can be un-reliable, as well. It was, considering the size the thing and the search area, NOWHERE NEAR where I thought it was. I thought it was about a foot away from that beer can but it was more like 12 feet away. About 1-2 feet outside of the spiral search pattern where I last stopped... perched atop a tuft of grass (and here I thought it was down in a dirt area with no grass around).

It's not all messed up, either. I de-frosted it and wiped it down and it's no worse for the wear.  :lol:

Now that them shanninigans are done with I can get back on-program. I have my can of primer warming up right now so I can spray the Mustang a bit more then I can start painting on it probably after lunch. In the mean time I'll work on the F-16.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Slowly trudging along. Trying to get the Mustang whipped together and not fret too much about minor mishaps but my OCD like tendencies of trying to "get it just right" is nagging at me to the point of frustration so I'm putting it down. Right now the stupid paint keeps coming off the canopy (I hate that!! I can barely breath on it and the paint comes off.. terrible adhesion, always! I'd coat it in floor polish to seal it up but it eats acrylic  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:) and I'm tired of painting on it. It looks pretty sharp but if I try to work on it now I'm liable to mess it up.  :angel: 

Anyway, trying not to be a "Debby Downer," I will just say that it's coming along nicely as a whole and once I mix up some more paint to touch up the canopy and the part of the fuselage I had to file away so said would actually fit properly (oops, I forgot to do ANY dry fitting on this  :o ;D ;D ;D) this will be ready for gloss and transfers. I won't get into how the canopy is wider, by all account, than the fuselage and the rear sits high creating a gap. I fixed a good part of the "gap" issue but I'm not about to sit around forcing the thing to be less wide.    :rolleyes: ;D

I think it will look great once I get past painting.  :lol:

The Viper is getting paint work done. I've painted all the wing type stuff white and only need to put on another coat or two on the main wings and fin then I can start painting them YELLOW.  ;D  This ought to be interesting. I'm doing all I can to make it work well. I've primed and then painted white which the grapevine says is a good color for a base of yellow.  Getting close to masking and painting the barber stripes on that stuff. Didn't do any PSR on it but I still need to do that, as well.

:lol:

-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

I'm trying to work out where the F-16 bits will fit on the Mustang...............  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 01, 2018, 07:33:56 AM
I'm trying to work out where the F-16 bits will fit on the Mustang...............  ;D ;)

;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"