Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

All done!!!

1/72 scale SZD 16 "Gil" Polish glider as a "Racing Glider."  :laugh: All hairy stick. Transfers from 5-6 different kits.... stash stuff... and the original kit registration numbers.

Neat stuff.... I will definitely be trying to secure and build more of these little gliders.  :mellow:

As an aside... I found this little light that plugs into USB ports laying on the ground (brand new, right in the package and everything!! I guess someone dropped it out of their shopping bag) at work about 3 weeks ago... I finally got it out and looked at it yesterday and MAN is it handy. It's flexi so I can move it where I need it and it lights up things really well and I think it has contributed greatly to the better than usual pictures I've managed to take of this little glider.

I'm eager to try it soon with something painted all in a bright color, like white, which seems to be the most problematic color of things I try to capture with my camera.

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Thanks, bud!!!  I really enjoy this lil feller. Lots of neat colors and decorations!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Hmmmmm... I'm down to two ongoing builds right now with the RAF P-40 and the Polish glider both being finished. The Raptor and the F-6 Liberty Fighter are both pretty "involved" so I need to dig up another simple build to keep balance in the kingdom......   

The short list is such:

*The Moo Cow P-47. Now that I have the proper kit for one, I suppose I could get this rolling.

*L-39 USAF Thunderbirds. This is a kit of a "tribute" plane. Some privately owned Albatross that someone painted up in the Thunderbirds livery. Should be neat and might be a good way to ease into the garganutuan project that is the USAF Thunderbirds Mega-Project.

*The little 1/72 '57 Ford Thunderbird. Another seemingly simple build that would be a good way to get the Thunderbirds stuff rolling. This build has the novelty of being a CAR kit. I've built no such thing since I started building again nearly two years ago. I've done automobiles before but this was way back as a wee lad.

*Another glider! The glider project was a lot of fun outside of me blasting my feet off with a double barrel shotty.

I'll be heading off to work in a few and in those couple of hours I'll be ruminating on other things I'm sure so this list is certainly subject to change and could have a couple things added. I'd like to come up with something by lunch time though! Might even start TWO of them. I sort of got used to having 4 projects going at once so why not?!

-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Hey, Brad

The F-16 came out really well - I hope mine is as good, and it certainly helps to visualize how one looks when finished.

The glider came out nicely, too.

Keep it up, fella!  :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Thanks!! A couple of successful builds there I'd say... I love bright, pretty colors on aircraft so it's been a lot of fun making these.

I'm making a B-17(G, I think) in the same pre-war colors and I've been tempted to start it. Problem is...it's the old Airfix kit and it came with NO clear parts. I ordered a complete set from REVELL that goes on their B-17G and I'm hoping I can somehow get them to work.

Hell, it wouldn't bother me to make every kit on the planet in PRE-WAR scheme.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

If I could only find the blasted thing!!! My kit stash has grown to proportions of such magnitude that I lose kits in it now.  :rolleyes: ;D

Not a terrible problem to have, mind you....       

When I find it, I'll see how well the clear parts work and if they seem to work OK I might just get started on it. In my short nearly two years of being here I don't think I've seen a newly completed B-17 posted. I could have missed it.. but uhhh.... perhaps there's an overall Flying Fortress itch needin' scratched around here!
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

I don't lose things I just forget I have them   :rolleyes:

My main problem is where I have two kits in the one box, sometimes 3, in order to save space  ;)

TheChronicOne

I sure do.... at one point I had it all organized well enough but that didn't last long. Sometimes it takes me half an hour or better to find something in it.

It's terrible.... all my kits are really just stacked up on the floor in here. I used to have a lot of open floor space, not any more!! I mean... that's the point of this room, though, to be the hobby space but if I would just take 2-3 hours and re-do it all again it would help things considerably. Kit collection ballooned up to around 300-400 and it's a bit overwhelming with such a haphazard storage " system ".   :o ;D

Found the B-17!! What threw me off was the box has black edges and here I was thinking it was lighter in color.

Old School.  :ph34r:

Good news and bad news.... some of the glass pieces from the Revell kit will work, some won't, and some will need modification in order to fit (nose piece, for instance). SO, that'll be a project for another day. I'm already doing surgery on this F-6 Liberty Fighter and the Raptor is somewhat "involved" so I'm not really looking for something I need to put a ton of effort into. I'm sort of wanting to do something "big" though...  or one of my "fancy" kits. I've been thinking about this RW one as a possibility:

I might need to go check some reviews and what not to see how well it builds up.

-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

'A Bit of Lace' was one of my very first ""big"" kits I made many years ago. Brings back memories that does. Can you still buy that decal scheme today? (not a second hand buy that is)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

Yeah buddy!! Warbirds decals makes a double sheet of Bit o' Lace and some other one and in nearly any scale you can shake a stick at.

There's a somewhat recently (last 5-6 years or so) made re-issue three piece Revell kit that comes with it as well. A WWII Warbirds Collection set or some such.  I seem to remember some other kit of it as well that was re-issued and put out within the last 10 years or so?? Maybe I was dreaming about that one.....    ;D

In other news... it's far too windy today to do certain things I need to do which involve filing and sanding and for a good while there I didn't feel like "messing" with any other thing I might be able to do. I could probably paint something or glue something together on either the F-6 or the Raptor but I just didn't feel like it. Getting there, now, though! Thing is.. too windy so I can't open my window to turn on the exhaust fan. Oh well, like I said, I'm getting over the apprehension about doing stuff I didn't plan on doing and will dive on into that pretty soon here. I generally file and sand on things as I go along so I'll have to adapt the way I work on things but stuff like bombs or fuel tanks I can just clip out and glue together and "clean up" later all at one time.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Went ahead and took on the monumental task that is gluing the raptor halves together. It went pretty well!

But...that's all, folks. I might come back later and do some little odds and ends but for now I'm going to switch to video games for awhile.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 04, 2018, 06:31:48 AM
'A Bit of Lace' was one of my very first ""big"" kits I made many years ago. Brings back memories that does. Can you still buy that decal scheme today? (not a second hand buy that is)

Same here.  It ended up with a fifth engine on the nose.

I have a Revell Viking and a very simple whiff idea for it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Engine shenanigans perhaps? Do it!!! If it's simple, then it should be no probz to add it to the current projects.  :mellow: :mellow:

I had to put mine up.. while earlier boxings came with, this one did not come with the tinted winders so I'll have to wait until I've practiced tinting on something else.

It got me wondering, though..... what, exactly, is the criteria for this stuff? Why are some planes having tinted windows, and others not? And what's with the yellow-ey stuff? Is it supposed to be some sort of vision enhancing thing like shooting glasses or does it do something for glare? I know the glass can't be polarized so this instead?? And then, that begs the question, if these improvements are so beneficial, why aren't they more wide spread?   ETC? ETC?    ;D       I suppose I could google it, too.. but I bet someone here knows more about it than I obviously do!!
-Sprues McDuck-