Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Yeah best to wait and get it on ebay or something! I lucked out and got mine for $4 plus another $5 to have it shipped.  Another dollar or so and I would have been out.  Sure has been a fun kit! I haven't built anything made past.. oh... I don't know.. mid 90s??  It's amazing to me how far kits have come and how they make them go together so much better with emphasis on eliminating seams. The instructions are great and the decals are top notch and have a lot to them.

Makes me want more new(ish) era Airfix stuff to try out.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Flyer on November 18, 2016, 07:46:05 PM
Yes I agree, I have 2 X FW-190 A-8's and a Spitfire Mk Ia already from the new tools that look to be very nice kits, a Vampire or two is on the to get list for sure. :thumbsup:

We need a "new tool" registry around here where all the new tools from manufacturers are catalogued for quick easy access.  :D 

In other news, this WIND in our paint booth has both this Vampire and my U-2 whif on hold! I can't do anything else to either one until I get primer/paint down...  I guess it's time to start on the Vatican City Air Force Fiat g.55.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

How do you make camouflaged cookies?

Do they do food colouring in the correct colours even? And how about the markings? Would you really want to nibble one unless it had the correct XH558 serial no.?  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 19, 2016, 10:22:15 AM

Do they do food colouring in the correct colours even? And how about the markings? Would you really want to nibble one unless it had the correct XH558 serial no.?  :o

Some assembly required!!  And I guess we should solve all these problems before the JMN's get ahold of 'em (Joyless Munchies Numpties)!   ;) 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

The wind finally died down and I was able to get a coat of paint on both the U-2 and this Vampire.

Next will be to paint on some grey and purple then mask for another coat of black.  Won't be long now!!  I still need to stop and get some decals together for lettering and such.. 
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 19, 2016, 10:22:15 AM

You "paint" them with melted chocolate.  Dark and Milk for a subtle scheme.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Now that sounds good! Better than what I was thinking which was merely differing colors of frosting. Not that big on frosting, too sugary... I'd rather have a more subtle sweetness or have it be like chocolate or cream cheese-ish or something. Pure sugar blast frosting is too much. Of course, a skim coat of frosting can be quite alright, too, though, like the molasses cookies... MMmmmMmmmmM.  Just no globs of soft icing like on cakes. (unless it's whipped cream "icing" which I like)   

OK you guise are giving me CLASS "A" Munchies...   lol
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Use high cocoa content dark chocolate (say 72% or higher) and they won't be too sweet.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

Getting the munchies again....   Someone here ought to shell out whatever pittance it is to get these and fire up the oven. While you're at it, whif them up with a bunch of different schemes.   ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Flyer on November 20, 2016, 05:58:00 PM
No point myself getting them, no oven. :banghead:

Y'all are heading into summer, right?  Stick 'em on the dash.   LOL  ;)

Where'd the oven go? Flood and associated mayhem?
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Flyer on November 20, 2016, 06:06:59 PM
No, living permanantly in temporary accomadation (not for much longer tho, with luck) with very basic ammenities. :angry:

Good to hear that nightmare will be over soon, with luck. Sounds akin to the days I went on the road doing framing work.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Here at ITAC (Imperial Transylvanian Air Corp) we don't use Zinc Chromate.... we use Zinc Chromaglobin.  This masterful concoction of corrosion fighting ferocity is comprised of mainstream materials mixed with the Blood of fallen enemies. As such, wheel wells and interior sides of gear doors and air intakes are lovingly protected with this blend.

Also, did some painting of the purple accents and also threw gray on the booms and rear surfaces. Next up, a bit of gloss to keep my purple latex from possibly coming off with masking tape. After that, of course, the masking tape and another coat of black. After that, the paint scheme is set then another coat of gloss so the decals will stick. This black paint is glorious but is rough like some 2000 grit sandpaper or something.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

One more for now...   I want most of the boom area to be gray so the decals show up better plus I think it will look nice.   With that in mind, I shot the rear end of this thing with that. Also, I painted purple accents with my acrylic brush paints on the main wing tips and also the little trim tabs or whatever they are..  just to break things up. It might not stand out much with the black paint, but, it's there... 

Here's all that going on  It looks kind of neat this way. And yes, I've painted the glass, it's not masked. I will pose this one with an open cockpit, though, but different from normal.  I want to make mine a sliding canopy so it will be situated to the rear of the cockpit instead of cocked open.  I can't recall at the moment a similar configuration but I seem to remember certain US Navy craft or something having that set up. 

Now, I definitely need to dig into my transfers stash and try to come up with some letters. I have the main decorations, but no letters and numbers! Speaking of the decorations... I'm going to use a couple of decals off of a sheet that was printed in 1944.  How cool is that?? I hope they work.. I've taken a really good close look and I don't see any cracks or obvious problems so we'll see..

Until next time!
-Sprues McDuck-