Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on October 12, 2018, 04:32:18 AM
Personally I would pair up Operation Dumbo Drop with either Air America or Bat 21.

Don't forget Uncommon Valor!  :thumbsup:

zenrat

I haven't seen that.  I'll have to get hold of it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

You can't really go wrong with Gene Hackman.
Well, you can, but you have to work at it. ;)

TheChronicOne

Another good one from the same era: Flight of the Intruder.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

All the work and chores took longer than expected but I still managed to get started working on me builds.  ;D

ATR-72 was sanded down once again. I did my best to really scour the surface and hit anything I could with sandpaper. It's not perfect, but, I primed it and it looks really nice to me!! I'm done, finally, with all the PSR and it's time to paint some real color on it.  :wub:

The BAC-111....  things were going great. I managed to mask everything with marvelous result but forgot to spray another coat of the base color and am now dealing with paint bleed. SIGH. It's not so terrible I can't patch it though. Also, some weird crazing on the top of the T-tail. I'm an idiot.... I think this is because I sprayed an aerosol air-freshener and this was just sitting here un protected. I actually wiped down the whole thing -- except for the part that crazed.  ;D   This thing is still kicking my arse...

737-200 has had much more sanding. I'm trying to make the fuselage smooth. I went apeshit filling the windows and created a complete overkill situation and sanding it back down is proving to be labor intensive. I'm getting there, however, so it's not a lost cause.

A good start to getting back into the swing of things
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

All I'm thinking about is how to fix the paint on the BAC-111 (pretty much the same thing I've been doing for 2 months or more...). I have an idea. I do believe I have some straight line transfers somewhere that I can use to fix the straight portions of the bleeding paint. OR, I can re-mask by moving the tape ever so slightly to the outside of the existing paint and re-spray. If I do that, I'll likely change how the black wraps around the front. Right now, It stops and curves to the rear on the underneath. I think what I might do instead is have it turn UPWARD instead and wrap around the conckpit and nose and double as anti-glare. Another option is grab some white paint and try to fix it as it is. I'll investigate further when I get back from work.

Otherwise, the ATR-72 is ready for appliace white, I do believe. Before I get carried away I need to check my paint references again but I do believe the entire thing is painted white, aside maybe from the wings. Not sure but maybe they're all white, too?  That's not normally "how it goes" but we'll see!  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

This thing is still whooping my donkey but I'm not giving up. That said, according to my new mantra, I'm not going to get bogged down trying to perfect this. It'll be fine, and I'll apply what I've learned (and re-learned) on the next one!  :thumbsup:

I think it will look alright but soooooooooooo many things keep going wrong. The latest is having just about everything go wrong with masking as could. It's on there straight but that's about the only thing that's worked. I've had to go back and clean up bleeds and there are ridges along the cheat line. It was real windy the day I sprayed so I moved the can closer to the plane and it went on way too thick.  ;D  I'm going to try to knock that down this after noon but if not I'll just roll with it. Good thing is border transfers go one so they will help hide the sins.  :wacko: 

So here it is as of now:

The underside is black and I'll leave it that way. It looks nice. However, I'm thinking of making the engines NMF.  :unsure:

Next up I need to paint the wings and do some touch up around the gear and on the bottom of the horizontal stabs. I need to glue on the new wing fences as well. Might be putting transfers on it today or might not, who knows.

The ATR-72 is coming along as well. It would appear that I have succesfully completed PSR. The finish isn't perfect but it's a far sight better than what I started with and for being such a labor intensive short-run build for a crappy mediocre model builder I can live with it. Sure love this appliance epoxy!

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I swear man, if I were a less patient person or one who angered easily I would have smashed this thing into a billion little pieces long ago.

Anyway.. in typical fashion nothing is going right, still. I tried these older Micrsoscale transfers and they started falling apart.  :banghead: :banghead:  I'll be damned if I change the livery on this blasted thing a FOURTH time so ....  being one with foresight, I bought some Microscale liquid decal fix and this stuff is worth every cent!  ;D

No clue what the hell is going on but I'm doing transfers now. I'm not trying to make any plans or try to speculate on this one because every single step has been a disaster so who knows. I could be finished with this tonight or a couple days from now or it could take another 6 months. NO TELLING.

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Brotha, I am determined to win this battle. It's not going to stand up to magnifying glass scrutiny but I'm confident the end result will be just fine!

My first actuall WHIF passenger airliner!!  :mellow: :mellow: :laugh:

I brought in some "consolation prize" to help me deal with these transfers:

;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

I didn't know Jameson made decal setting fluid................  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Everything flows so much better with it!  ;D ;D   

I've never tried any Jameson. I figured it was about time. I had always been more attuned to Scotch. Not even sure what to do with it. I guess the first round will be a straight shot then maybe I'll mix it with some uhhh... root beer (I know, I know.. ).   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

major

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 16, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
Everything flows so much better with it!  ;D ;D   

I've never tried any Jameson. I figured it was about time. I had always been more attuned to Scotch. Not even sure what to do with it. I guess the first round will be a straight shot then maybe I'll mix it with some uhhh... root beer (I know, I know.. ).   ;D

Think most people will mix it with Red Lemonade! ;)
Which seem to be, curiously, a uniquely Irish mixer. ;D

Prefer Bushmill's myself. :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Huh! Never would have guessed that one. I'll have to try that.. May as well go for the authenticity, after all.  :lol: 

I just took a shot about 10 minutes ago. It was smooth, and pretty good! I grimaced like a pup, however, when the after effect hit.  ;D   I don't normally take shots so it was a bit of a "shock" to the system. I waited for a good while to get the whole experience in but had to chase it with my beer.  :angel:

Jury's still out but I so far I like it. There have been times I've bought a "somewhat pricey" bottle of liqour to try and it be no better or just marginally better than the stuff on the bottom shelf. It's always nice to find something that's actually worth the money.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Mrs z is partial to a drop of the Irish, preferring Jamesons to Bushmills.
She mixes it with dry ginger.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..