Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

I need to hit it with gloss still to hide the edges on the transfers but here's a "sneak peak" of the Romulan Warbird.

Once the light of day returns I will spray the gloss and take the Glamour Shotz (TM).  The big seam on top... is supposed to be there according to historical crap.. the transfers on the trailing edges..are supposed to go across it.. according to blah blah.. I'm just following directions on this stuff.

-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Coming along well - looking good.

Yeah, mis-sized transfers are a pain, huh...

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 27, 2016, 07:29:52 PM

I was hollering and whining like a champ.  ;D I managed, though. I'll slap this gloss on here and she'll shine like a diamond and hopefully the edges will fade.   :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 27, 2016, 08:53:44 PM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 27, 2016, 07:29:52 PM

I was hollering and whining like a champ.  ;D I managed, though. I'll slap this gloss on here and she'll shine like a diamond and hopefully the edges will fade.   :lol:

Ask me about re-sizing the door transfers for a 727 from 20X8mm to 10X4mm... FOUR individual pieces X2... I wasn't a Happy Camper.

... On second thought, don't ask... you don't wanta hear me doing my whining thing, and I'm over it now... mostly...   :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 28, 2016, 01:06:35 AM

Ask me about re-sizing the door transfers for a 727 from 20X8mm to 10X4mm... FOUR individual pieces X2... I wasn't a Happy Camper.

... On second thought, don't ask... you don't wanta hear me doing my whining thing, and I'm over it now... mostly...   :banghead:

Just one reason why I put some time and effort into printing my own decals. Saved So much hassle like your 727 doors.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I doubt Round 2 are that concerned about the fit of the decals as most of these kits will be bought by Star Trek Collectors who would be horrified at the thought of actually building them.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 28, 2016, 01:23:55 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 28, 2016, 01:06:35 AM

Just one reason why I put some time and effort into printing my own decals. Saved So much hassle like your 727 doors.

Yeah, it's something that gets attractive now and then, but looking at the amount of work and time involved in getting the gear, setting it up and learning to use it, I can live with (or without) things as they stand, so I keep it in the 'too hard' basket.
Which is getting a bit overfull these days...

Pity, as it would be extremely useful sometimes, but ah well...

Quote from: zenrat on December 28, 2016, 01:32:13 AM
I doubt Round 2 are that concerned about the fit of the decals as most of these kits will be bought by Star Trek Collectors who would be horrified at the thought of actually building them.

Yeah, I can't understand that - ok, an original is collectable, but a new release? C'mon...

kerick

I never noticed before but the top of that Romulan ship looks very much like something from a 30's comic book! Paint it red and yellow with extra fins!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Quote from: kerick on December 28, 2016, 07:38:09 AM
I never noticed before but the top of that Romulan ship looks very much like something from a 30's comic book! Paint it red and yellow with extra fins!

Yeah! Flash Gordon that sucker up!
Pointed end caps on the nacelles, or spikes, more fins as Kerick said, Big Guns (tm) sticking out of the nose, whatever else you feel inspired to do!

Course, this means you'll have to get more sets to do these things with...  ;D

TheChronicOne

Sounds brill to me. You people (WHADDA YOU MEAN YOU PEOPLE?!?!??)  keep giving me so many good ideas...  Firefighting Klingons and Racing Romulans and stuff.  The people on the Star Trek group on Facebook will crap their pants when I start making this stuff. 

I just need to get ahold of some cheap kits. For some reason, unlike aircraft, getting them on Ebay (or anywhere else) for anything less than 90% of retail just isn't a thing.  I can finds lots of like 8 1/72 for $30 but I'd be lucky to find even a single small Trek kit for that.

In other news, the Spyplane is still whoppin my azz....  I patched up some spots with my correction fluid, sanded the piss out of it... sprayed, sanded the piss out of it, sprayed, and there are still "lumps" there... hell, this stuff usually sands down pretty nice and these are on flat areas that should be simple!   Still, it's there.... I'll sand it down AGAIN and go back with paint again.  :o :lol:

The Romulan ship... sigh... I'm still a lousy modeler.  Not used to spraying clear stuff and because I couldn't see it accumulate, too much pooled up in an area by the wing root.. it lifted part of the decal up then created a big bubble. Whoops!! Lesson learned there.   ;D ;D  Oh well, if I don't just go for it how will I learn, right?!  No biggy... I took my hobby knife and cut out part of the transfer and got rid of the bubble then tried to fix the area.. it didn't "fix" but it's better than the bubbe.   It stills looks neat!! I sprayed clear on the bottom and am letting it dry.  Proper pictures in a day or two I guess..

The F-84 is progressing. I painted half of the wheel hubs and the insides of all the gear doors. I also painted half of the drop tanks.  I want to get them finished up and glued on to the airframe before I gloss it. Then I can start the transfers!  Yay!  I'm depending on them to save me because I cut quite a few corners.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Yeah, seems like the stuff goes up in waves. For awhile there will be all kinds of stuff, great deals, great kits !!..... BUT...so many I can't possibly get them all OR I don't have any oney.... then other times there's next to NOTHING. 

I had a look yesterday and w/ U.S. listings only one was worth looking at (lots). Back over summer I couldn't keep track, though! I landed a bunch of good lots! Some really good with hidden gems and such like a group of I think 8 or nine that I got for $20 that came with 2 kits alone that go for $30-40 individually. Another good lot I got was of one that looked like a pile of garbage and for some reason the listing image was of a piece of sprue that was about 90% empty. I decided to look anyway and it turned out to be a bunch of cool stuff!! Got it for $17 and came with a glorious EF-111 and others.

Still, a lot of the time, they're "you take the good with the bad"  type deal and in order to get them at a good price ya might have to deal with doubles or RATTY boxes or "no decals no instructions."I think my best "value" score was winning three separate lots from the same seller (combined shipping, yay!) that wound up being 29 1/72 kits for $80 all said and done.  That's my speed right there!  Depending on how many, I try to keep my "lot" prices around $4 (grand total) a kit and if I want to purchase one individually I try not to spend more than $6 grand total.

Anyway, I hope things pick up again by mid Spring or so because the pickings right now are TURRIBLE and I have yet to find any online stores that hold a candle to the prices I'm after. I detest paying full retail. I make exceptions for doing things like supporting a certain brand or business but for the most part give me the "junkyard lots." 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Calling this officially done. I had a last minute mess up due to my own inattention but it turned out pretty neat over all!

Good ol' Romulan Warbird in 1:2500 by AMT/Polar Lights. Done in historically accurate attire. 

As always, my picture taking is garbage but I'm not "feelin" doing any photo correction or waiting any longer for this infernal Oklahoma winter weather to cooperate.  I tried to put some light on the subject and put rocks and backdrops in but I needed a better light source that I didn't feel up to fetching from my shop.  ((would have had to find a cord, find plugs, etc etc etc it's always more involved than "get the light.") 

Anyway!! This lil model is cool and I'm happy with it!  The Klingon is next in this particular series but I'm thinking the F-84 will probably be the next completed.
-Sprues McDuck-