Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 14, 2019, 06:52:00 AM

Oh hey, I found some RAAF decals right on ebay that come with the conversion set to make the tanker pods and stuff.  HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM .......   This stuff is from "Hawkeye Models"  Anyone know anything about them and the quality of their wares?

Good people to deal with, have done on numerous occasions

http://hawkeyemodels.com.au/
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

Glorious!   I went ahead and ordered that, then. Can't go wrong there. I've downgraded the Canadian stuff to 1/144 so I can do the 1970-1976 "CANADA" (on the side) one that was celebrating their retirement of the 707. That one will fit right in with the rest of the 1/144 airliners.  Gots the neat wolf on the fin and all that.  Also going to grab a sheet of HOOTERS AIR for a 737.  :wacko:

EDIT:  Oops. Forgot to add, I also ordered a PE set for the kit and white metal landing gear.  :thumbsup:

This stupid thing is getting expensive but I scored a "surprise" job tearing down a wooden shed that's going to MORE than pay for it.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

That shed is the devil. It's coming along a lot better than I thought it would, however, but I'm SOOOOOOOO SORE.  ;D Anyhow... I didn't get anything done with models because that stuff lasted all day. So, nothing new to report. I'm going to try again today.  :thumbsup:

More painting on the F-52. Not entirely sure what's left off but I need to finish the silvery parts, touch ups, and I'm going to do something interesting to the winglets on the wings.

After that maybe work on the new racin' glider? I have to fix the poorly aligned wing.

Need to skim coat on the 737 fuselage. I'm still fighting the idiotic way that I shot myself in the feet with the windows on that one. LESSON LEARNED. I have half a mind to just snatch a fuselage from one of my other 737 kits and switch them out. I doubt I will, but if this thing keeps kicking my arse it just might happen.
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

If you did, it might save more time and hassle... you could put the current one soaking in some Simple Green for a few days to strip it back, and use the lessons learnt with the new fuselage.
It could get things moving along more quickly and lessen the frustration of trying to fix something you're not happy with (and might always see the flaws in).

Fixing the new wing/fuselage joint might be easier than getting the old fuselage sorted?

Anyhoo, your call; but as you said, if you're going to build a bunch of these anyway...

TheChronicOne

The poorly aligned wing/fuselage joint is on the glider, not the 737. Good news is I've already sorted it. It'll need some filler but it's how it should be now.   :mellow: :lol: :lol:   IF nothing else goes wrong it should go together really easy and quickly from here on out. If I had a little gumption I bet I could knock that sucker out in a day or two.

As for my poor boeing 737...  stripping won't help because the problem lies in how I filled in the windows. I used styrene rod and a MEGA TON of glue.  :rolleyes: ;D ;D ;D  I used so much that it has taken EONS to fully dry/cure. One side is nearly in good shape but the other is not cooperating. They keep sinking back in. I add more putty, smooth it, sand, then it looks good. Leave it alone for a few days and they sink in again. I'm having to keep repeating the same process over and over. Eventually it will be alright but it's been a maddening long process that could have been avoided if had not decided to experiment on this thing. Next time I'm either going to use legit putty, ca and talc, or whip up some sprue-goo.  ;D :thumbsup:

Here's the mistress that steals all my time away from the other projects. I've been in the painting phase of this for days but......  I've been enjoying it! Sometimes I don't like painting, sometimes I do....   (kind of like the other parts of a build, too!)

It's nearly done, however.

Lastly, the current run of putty and PSR is under way on the aforementioned 737. I'll start sanding on it either today or... sometime next week when the wind swicthes back around so I can run the exhaust fan. :angel:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Got some good work done today. The F-52 is ready for gloss.

I fixed the wing on the glider then glued it and the other one on.

Also, just had a nutty idea for a new kitbashed swing-wing jet. I won't divulge more than that right now. I saw a picture a few minutes ago that sparked the interest.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Finished a LEGO build. This is about a 35 year old kit. When I was something like 6-7 I got it for my birthday and built it. Fast forward all these years and about 8 months ago I bought a partial kit on eBay to combine with whatever left over parts I had to try to complete a full build. I actually came pretty close.  Throughout the entire build, there were only 5-6 missing parts. A couple proved problematic. I was able to replace them all with other stuff, however, and I tried my best to make them match (they did!).

THAT SAID.... I couldn't help myself.... I noticed a few engineering flaws; places where an additional simple part would help strengthen things. I can see why they left this stuff out of the original kit. These areas are generally "alrigh"t and "strong enough" so I'm assuming they decided to call it a day rather than worry about, for whatever reasons. Either way, I added 3-4 simple parts that shored things up and made the thing stronger (much more rigid and doesn't make creaking noises anymore when you handle it  ;D ) . I also did a couple other small things like the two crosses on the wings. Originally just one goes on the middle of the fuselage, but I had spares and where I placed them help strengthen the wing/engine area. Also, they look like roundels on the wings like that!

Normally a LEGO kit would be easy, but this was a PITA because I had to scrape and dig for the parts.  :rolleyes:   Still... it was MOSTLY fun.  :rolleyes: ;) ;D ;D   
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Can I own up to something ?

I have never owned any Lego. There I've said it, is there a support group ?  ;)

In all honesty I don't think it was around when I was a kid ? We had Meccano instead and other "building systems" that used mini bricks and white glue to build a house or whatever on miniature blue prints.

I do keep meaning to try and pick up some bits for jigs etc, but never seem to get around to it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 19, 2019, 01:46:25 AM

In all honesty I don't think it was around when I was a kid ? We had Meccano instead and other "building systems" that used mini bricks and white glue to build a house or whatever on miniature blue prints.

Me too, it must have been a 'Croydon Thing'.  ;D

What WAS that building system called, the one with the mini-bricks? I had TONS of that stuff, used to build huge edifices with it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Dude, making jig with LEGO bricks is something I'm going to try some day, too. I might be shipping a built model in the near-ish future and I plan to secure it, in part, with lego because they can be strong as hell if held together and much lighter than, say, wood.  They have multiple outside the box uses!!!    ;D ;D

No building today. It's mama's birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAMA!  She's 87 today. That and the wind is out of the North at about 35 MPH right now and it's cold. Can't do a whole lot because I can't run the exhaust and sitting here at this desk is actually pretty miserable because it's cold. Sorry, I'm not going to bundle up like a astronaut in my own home. I'll just move further to the interior of the house and do other things.   :thumbsup:

-Sprues McDuck-

Spey_Phantom

nice lego plane, i used to have that set when i was 6  :thumbsup: :wub:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Nils on January 19, 2019, 09:43:44 AM
nice lego plane, i used to have that set when i was 6  :thumbsup: :wub:

Is/was my favorite LEGO sets!! I was about the same age as you.... I was 7-9.  Got it for my birthday back then and I loooooooooved it!!!   All the old "City" stuff is really neat.
-Sprues McDuck-

major

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 19, 2019, 03:16:13 AM

What WAS that building system called, the one with the mini-bricks? I had TONS of that stuff, used to build huge edifices with it.

Oh Lord! I MUST BE OLD!  ;D

I was a Meccano kid too, and those bricks I remember vaguely. Off to search online, so I am!  :thumbsup:
I also remember being handed bags of matchsticks, and little blue prints, to build farm houses and sheds.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: major on January 19, 2019, 05:00:26 PM

Oh Lord! I MUST BE OLD!  ;D

I was a Meccano kid too, and those bricks I remember vaguely. Off to search online, so I am!  :thumbsup:
I also remember being handed bags of matchsticks, and little blue prints, to build farm houses and sheds.

Get some and play!!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

No idea Kit, but I had loads of it and it got used a lot. It scaled out with the old Brittan's soldiers if memory serves ? I had loads of those as well  :thumbsup:

I had to play with things like that  dad and his mates (all British Rail employees) would be playing with "my" railway layout  :banghead: ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.