Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Helicopter. It's finally looking like one. I did most of the seam work then glued this thing on.

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Taking it's baby brother out for a flit, is it ?  ;) ;D

Nice clean cutting mat as well. I'm actually feeling quite bad about the state mine is in  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

I must be a weirdo, because I periodically clean mine. I scraped and rubbed and polished and cleaned and polished and scraped until it looks good again.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

scooter

Cue David Attenborough voice over:

"Here we see a young SeaCobra taking its tentative first flight as its mother hovers nearby, ready to protect it from predatory Hinds that may be in the area"
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TheChronicOne

;D ;D

Y'all are right, lil feller is cute and rather puny like a wee baby.  ;D

They were great little toys growing up. One could amass a large collection that made for a lot of fun without having to deal with size constraints. Lots of variet with the Micro Machines, too. A good deal were made as "accurate" and were tiny models of real world stuff but then again they also made a lot of fictional ones as well.  Not sure about mine... I think it's fictional, though.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I really should have and still should make a thread for this in the GB forum but I've been so distracted lately. I'm doing the best I can right now with the work schedule and dealing with having injured myself. Figures. I vanquish the Sciatica demon then turn around and work a bunch because I'm feeling better and wind up pulling some muscles. Since I use them all the time, it's taking eons to heal. Not very fun and it's also been a hit to my mental state. It's like winning the lottery then having all the money in a suitcase and some crackhead steals it all. Easy come, easy go.

Enough of that.... however...       It's taken 5 hours but between trying move as little as possible and watch television, I've managed to mask the entire canopy for the helo!  :lol: :lol: :lol:     VERY happy to have this done.

I screwed up a couple places on it before I even started masking, though. I was trying to file away burrs on the sides from the sprue gates. I didn't realize that the glass kind of bubbles out for visibility so I nicked it a couple times. I had to break out my series of polishing pads and polished the crap out if it all then buffed it with my cotton shirt. After that I dipped it in floor polish and it's back 95% the way it was. It started as an "actually very clear canopy." A bit thick, but, damn..... very clear. I was impressed, and it didn't even have any scuffs or scratches from riding in the box. It figures that I'd show up and scratch up a pristine canopy.  :rolleyes:    But, like I said, I fixed it and it looks good again and now I just need to glue it on.

So that's that. I'm sort of caught up on my lawns, it's Friday, and it's also a holiday weekend so I may just stay up and work on some more stuff! I've taken the time to buff and then dip the Nomad canopy in floor polish as well so I may as well lay out some strips of tape, grab my knife, and mask it as well.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Yay....  caught up lawns, officially. First time this year... been about .... 5-6 weeks of steady work and now I can finally relax for a day or two.

So... today, I will go pick up garbage real fast then run a couple errands and be home to work on builds. I should be priming the helo today. Might start painting on it. Getting close to the same situation on the Nomad. I still need to cut out some bomb pylons and glue 'em on and then I have 2-4 pieces of tape to put on the canopy to finish masking it then I can glue it on and it should be ready for priming. It sure would be some fancy shiz if I could prime and start painting on the both of these.

Also, will try to put appliance white on the 737. Decided not to sweat the doors situation; time to get the build moving.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Well, this sucks:

https://ktla.com/2019/04/22/plane-crashes-in-prison-yard-of-facility-in-norco-faa/?fbclid=IwAR3dtfr3CrCr1hu8h7AU9RRBof_StMP1GRruCZSmkhCkyFPEcRKtLxEVrog

In bettter news, I'm getting quite a bit done with models. Nearly ready to prime the nomad, just need to glue on the pylons I made of plastic card and the gun barrels I made of stretched sprue.

Cobra has already been primed and I'd like to start painting it here in a little while. This should prove the be the fun part!!! 4 color wrap around camo time!!! 

737 has had first coat of appliance white put on.  Trying to mist coat my way up and see how things go.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

All the mods and stuff are glued onto the Nomad and it's ready to prime. I think this picture is before I added the stretched sprue gun barrels but it'll do.  :mellow:

Next up, I've managed to get the first passes of the paint onto the AH-1. It's very rough at the moment, but I'll refine it eventually. The lil baby is sitting on top.

-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Go, Man, Go!! Yer on a roll, so go with it. :thumbsup:
Good progress being made ever'where...

"Sometimes I squat down, tuck my elbows in and lean forward... That's just how I roll."

TheChronicOne

Thanks! It's good to be caught up at work. I'm in the same boat today. I'll just lounge around the house and watch whatever I can find on streaming and work on these models.

Could be done with the heli today. I need to fix the camo and do detail painting then I need to paint all the missiles and the rocket pods. Shouldn't amount to more than a couple hours of work but I can easily drag two hours of work out across the span of 5-6 days, easily, so there's really no telling when I'll be done.  ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

The Nomad looks like it's just taken off from the table. Good shot! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Thanks!  It is quite the interesting angle...  looks good, I agree.  Seems to be a rather good 'perspective' for aircraft being photographed. Kind of like the front-quarter-panel shot on cars...   

I love my little handy-hands clamp apparatus thing. With it, I can achieve shots that wouldn't normally be possible with models, because I can aim from underneath. ......  in this pic, it almost looks like it should be something Japanese and a with a couple bombs releasing over Pearl Harbor.

On that note, that lil feller has been primed and is read for paint! Here's a new "from below" shot of her.  :lol: 

I've also been painting the Cobra (all day, I knew I'd be slow as mollasses....  ) but the camo is almost finished and I will start painting the detail work. I still need to go back in and work on the black portions(some shapes don't look right and I need to straighten edges) but after that, I can start the funner stuff like antennas and the flare thingies.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Finally remembered to by some *actual* "future" today:

This IS the right one these days, right? Looking forward to using it. My dollar store brand seems to work somewhat alright on canopies for filling in scratches but was lacking in other areas.

In other news, I finished painting the helicopter. This pic is from before I finished the detail painting I think but it's good enough:

It's ready for gloss then transfers.
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Watching Band of Brothers are/were we? Specifically, the episode "Replacements"? :unsure: ;) :thumbsup:

Wish I knew where to find anything like Pledge/Future here in SA. :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est