Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Well, you've had it harder than i did, my ribs are almost 100% healed up now and it was a matter of not moving around a lot. Never had that kind of injury in the groin and by the sound of it, i don't want to go through that... ever!!
Good to know you're doing better. Great work on the Trojan and the Gunship! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on May 13, 2019, 08:09:51 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on May 12, 2019, 08:39:31 PM
A SIPA-200. 1/144.
Lovely, yes!
I searched in French archives here and it seems the SIPA S.200 was a derivative of the P-38 Lightning; here are the missing links S.38A, S.38G, S.38J: ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

Very good!!   ^

Duly noted, one and all...     

DFZ!!! Been wonderin about you. Been a while! Glad you rested up. I'm sure your pretty amped to be feeling better.  :wacko:    Thanks for the concern... uhh... this was all very new and a very unsettling experience for me. I think I've learned to take it easy though, so... silver lining? Still not 100% but I'm way better off than I was for that week/week and a half or so.

From one extreme to another....  elephants to human beings of reduced stature:

Not sure what this is all about....   I just know I had it in my files. 

SO... plans for today!!! I'm going to watch 80's movies all day and work on models. I've kind of sort of aggravated my muscle problem yesterday and the day before from picking up trash. Nothing like where I was but still...  it lets me know I'm not all the way healed up yet so I'm going to skip work today entirely and just sit here.  ;D ;D  This type of thing kind of reminds me of missing school. You know... it's sort of a fond memory of sitting at home watching day time TV and even though you don't feel well, it's fun to be out of school.  ;D

ANYWAY...  I need to do a wee bit of work on the Gunship in the form of Tamiya Putty around the cockpit. I tried to do this last night but learned that TP doesn't react well with recently sprayed primer. It was dry to the touch but it didn't matter. Now it has been drying for nearly a full day so it should work fine. Then I can sand it, prime the nose section again and start trying to find the proper paints I want to get the right shade of green. I'm also going to attempt to find a picture somewhere of this paint scheme. I know Fred is familiar with it.... the shade of green needs to be right or it will throw the whole thing off. If I'm lucky, I'll have a picture of it in my files.

I've made the decision to actually pay attention to the can of paint I'm using and will let the 737 sit for the next 6 days before I add more coats.

80's movie playlist for today:

Short Circuit (with the option to play Short Circuit 2 right after... depends on how I'm doing on time)
Flight of the Navigator
The Last Starfighter
Harry and The Hendersons
The Blues Brothers
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

I remember watching some of those back in the day... and at odd times since.

'Number Five is Alive!'

scooter

Quote from: TheChronicOne on May 13, 2019, 10:04:10 AM
The Last Starfighter

Always an excellent choice, and even as dated as the CGI is, it still holds up well.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TheChronicOne

Yeah buddy!! These are some of my favorite films. They all have a theme of being positive, up-beat types of affairs. No doom and gloom over here. Just fun to watch happy stories!  :laugh:   Also, we don't need Dramamine to watch... and we don't need our hands held throughout the movie and have everything explained as if the audience is stupid... and... not every single moment needs to be filled with dialog, etc.   Most modern films don't do much for me because they're geared toward people who can't sit still. 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: scooter on May 13, 2019, 11:34:47 AM
The Last Starfighter

Always an excellent choice, and even as dated as the CGI is, it still holds up well.
You're right about that! Even on higher definition media and on nice modern televisions it looks good.  Not all sci fi/fantasy ages as well.
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Quote from: TheChronicOne on May 13, 2019, 11:36:02 AM
Yeah buddy!! These are some of my favorite films. They all have a theme of being positive, up-beat types of affairs. No doom and gloom over here. Just fun to watch happy stories!  :laugh:   Also, we don't need Dramamine to watch... and we don't need our hands held throughout the movie and have everything explained as if the audience is stupid... and... not every single moment needs to be filled with dialog, etc.   Most modern films don't do much for me because they're geared toward people who can't sit still.

Concur with all...  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

DFZ!!! Been wonderin about you. Been a while! Glad you rested up. I'm sure your pretty amped to be feeling better.  :wacko:    Thanks for the concern... uhh... this was all very new and a very unsettling experience for me. I think I've learned to take it easy though, so... silver lining? Still not 100% but I'm way better off than I was for that week/week and a half or so.

I'm not as amped as i could be for a lot of reasons but i'm doing fine compared to so many in this world... now, you, mister, should really take it easy. I know that sitting at home doesn't pay bills but you know it's not going to help trying to do stuff when you're still recovering, and it only makes it worse in the long run.
I do like the selection of 80's movies although i haven't seen them all. That "Last Starfighter" sounds interesting.
I loved Johnny 5 and it's been way too long since i've watched any of those movies. ;D

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Good advice... I'm going to try my best. I've managed to free up a little mowing-free time this week so I hope I can maintain focus and stay relaxed. You called it... I've been my own worse enemy in this whole ordeal. This mess is teaching me to relax and be less tense and stressed out, though, so there's that...   ;D

Find 'The Last Starfighter' and watch it immediately! It likely won't have the same impact on you now as it would have were you to have seen it in the 80's as a kid like I did... but like the man said, it's held up quite well over time and is a damn fun watch. Coincidence: I'm putting it in to play this very minute! Just finished "Navigator.."  :lol:

In other news... I'm attempting last minute corrections to the nose of the Gunship. Turns out the fuselage blends into part of the area and I missed that. Oh well, she's getting there! For how shithouse the parts and fitment were, this is turning out the be quite the nice looking model so credit to EE for that I guess? Or... credit to me for pissing away the hours fixing it? I dunno.... trying not to be too mean to EE I guess. It really is turning out to be a nice looking lil plane so thanks to them for that!  :thumbsup:

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

The Last Starfighter - not bad, not bad at all. :thumbsup:

However, I prefer Battle Beyond the Stars - which I really have to find a copy of, one day, to complete my Seven Samurai collection. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I was heavily influenced by The Blues Brothers.  Mammoth car chases and amazing music.  And the scene in the restaurant!  "Sell me your women".  I've long wanted to behave like that.
With Carrie Fisher and John Belushi in the cast just imagine the partying that went on...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Blues Brothers - one of my all time favourite's.

First time I saw it was on a coach coming home from a Palace match and it hadn't quite finished when we got back to the ground. We all made the driver drive around the ground until it had finished  ;D

Mind you every time I see it I refuse to accept that Dan Aykroyd is playing Elwood ???
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Didn't make it through the movie marathon yesterday. So... today, I re-group and try again. I didn't get to Harry and The Hendersons and Blue Brothers so I will try again. Of course, I need filler for the afternoon so what I'll do is watch the Back To The Future movies first.

Painting is the order of the day. I have some clean-up sanding and a quick re-prime of the nose section again where I'm trying to blend the clear nose piece into the fuselage. It's better than it was but I'm afraid with the nice white paint it'll still out if I don't make it better. Shouldn't take long to do this, however.

Struck out trying to find pictures of the paint scheme on anything.  That'll teach me. Next time I see something interesting I will save it. I think I have the right colors anyway. The green is SORT OF "iffy". I tried it on the test bed. I'll try to take a pic of that later. Anyway.... I think once it is cleared at the end that it should be right. We'll see! 

I also started painting the landing gear. Not much left on that.. just need to paint the tires black. I also need to paint the gear doors and spinners. I think I'll have the spinners match the green I'm using.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Making progress on the gunship but I'm getting ahead of myself and starting to make mistakes so I'm shelving it for awhile. The 737 is still drying. I can work on modifying the engines but I simply don't want to so......   time to start something new!  Not the massive 707, though, I want something easier.

This is a bit older idea. I wanted to make something to go in my 1/144 airliners collection that fits the theme but WASN'T an airliner. So, I came up with a British Caledonian F-4F. It can be a parts/mechanic runner or some pilot shuttle or...... something. Anyway... I'll paint it up white and slap some transfers from a BAC-111 on it.

:mellow:

-Sprues McDuck-