Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

I first gave him an Airfix Snap-tite F-22 cause it was the plane he was always asking me about and that didn't work... then i got him a Revell 1/72 Me-262 normal kit, but i guess it was too much of a shock going from a snap-tite to that kit, which is not an easy one to build. :banghead:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Well, you tried!  That's more than a lot of people do.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

My sisters' kids both got bought 1/24 Airfix Spitfires as a first kit.  I think they were both scared off as neither has built anything since.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

I think one of the standard 1/72 Airfix kits, especially the older ones, like the Spitfire Mk.I/II are good starter kits. They have few parts, are simple to build, look like what they're meant to be & are still relatively cheap.

As long as no-one forces the issue of accurate colours & super-detail they're as user friendly as you can get.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

I found a Revell 1/72 109-G10.  About as simple stuff as I have, really, that still has some amount of quality to it, isn't missing parts or instructions, and isn't something I'll miss. I thought about giving them a 1/48 jet or something but thanks to the advice here I remember that I need something simply and this is about all I have. It's a pretty simple kit and makes a neat looking fighter so I hope it'll fit the bill.

The father has expressed interest in doing a collaboration effort and the 1/72 C-5 Galaxy thought crept into my mind once again. Something we can work on in his garage (or in my back yard).  Lofty goals there but it's a thought.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Actually finished, completely, with the 1/2500 Klingon D7. As always when I try to spray or set up pictures outside, the wind is blowing 8 quadrillion miles an hour so I'll TRY to get outside pics today. Barring that, I'll try in the kitchen again and see if I can remember some of the things I learned last time that I experimented with camera settings. This little ship turned out NEATO! 

Work progresses on the Soviet GB Apache. I butchered (what else is new?!  ;D ) the canopy glass but it's starting to come together on a whole.

Getting the NCC 1701 going now. I got the nacelles glued on. As always, one of the pylons broke off yesterday and then again earlier today.. got it repaired with CA.  Primed black. Now I can paint the little parts like deflector dish and the end caps to the nacelles and glue them on after I paint the ship itself. I'll brush on the grey color. I suppose I could start that any ol time but I want to take a closer look at my CA repair and see if anything needs filing down first. Might also go in for another coat of black. Not sure yet.

U.S.S. Blackerprise

-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Since the UFP was banned from using or creating cloaking technology, they had to do SOMETHING!   ;D

While I'm here.... I had to file down the nubs on the ends of the nacelles as the end pieces WOULD NOT go on them.  I also trimmed and sanded a couple things. Going to mix up some enamel paints to put on the deflector dish and area behind it. Also, will be painting those end cap pieces that I mentioned. Won't need to mix anything for that; straight silver.

Wind won't cooperate, but I set me up a neat lil diorama of sorts to take pictures of my Klingon ship. I'll do that within the hour or so and get pics posted.  :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Got this done and the pictures actually turned out really well in my opinion! 

Q'pla!
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

By the first pics i thought that was much bigger, very nice work, i like the colors! :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Thanks, dude!! This one was a breeze.. only minor issues and some fair elbow work getting rid of the seam on top of the hull. If ya look close enough it's apparent that I didn't get ALL of it, though.. but on the whole building this thing was so cool!

Easy to paint, too. No real borders, which would normally be a nightmare,  but because of the "angles" it made it really easy to not "go outside the lines."

The third and last of the set is going to be the most difficult. It's already proven to be so, in fact.

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Thanks for the pic in your hand. I now know how small they are - very well done  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Thanks! I used to have a coin for that,  but I spent it.  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Not sure it warrants an entire new thread so I'll ask here.. is there a Hughes H-1 racer in 1/72 that isn't vacuform? 
-Sprues McDuck-