Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 14, 2016, 12:34:28 AM
Good isn't it.  I particularly like the set back cockpit.

They probably had to, the T-34 was a monster of an engine, 13 ft long according to Wikipedia.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

CHECK THIS OUT... P&W t 34 engine..............  modified B-17 Fuselage...... and 1/48 wings from U-2 attached high on the fuselage instead of low (no telling how well that would work though)....   "what" it would be is for another time, I'm just trying to think about overall shape.

:o

Saw that B-17 on the wiki page and I was like, "what the hell is that?!"  Took me a moment to realize the T-34 was the only engine running and how BIG it is!   
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Ahhh yeah! Found some neat stuff.

I was out in the seperate garage looking around for things to use for modeling. Didn't come across exactly what I was looking for but found some other good stuff. Namely, this set of files.

Other wares include some mechanical pencils (great for darkening panel lines), the thin copper wire for rigging, coiled up wire, canopy handles, etc. And, a compass to use as a de-facto caliper as I can't find mine at the moment. 

Coolest find is the set of files, for sure. Also, the rounded file is nice. Not pictured is a smaller size "normal" file.  You know the kind.. that fit into the wooden handles.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 14, 2016, 02:39:18 PM
Ahhh yeah! Found some neat stuff.

I was out in the seperate garage looking around for things to use for modeling. Didn't come across exactly what I was looking for but found some other good stuff. Namely, this set of files.

Other wares include some mechanical pencils (great for darkening panel lines), the thin copper wire for rigging, coiled up wire, canopy handles, etc. And, a compass to use as a de-facto caliper as I can't find mine at the moment. 

Coolest find is the set of files, for sure. Also, the rounded file is nice. Not pictured is a smaller size "normal" file.  You know the kind.. that fit into the wooden handles.

Good stuff! Those files are not cheap new. And a thousand uses.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

It's amazing sometimes what items one forgets about owning!  All 12 are there, none broken or worn down. Slight rust patina going on but I could care less. By time it gets to the point where it ate them up beyond usable I'll already be pushing daisies. Besides... a lot will come off as I file.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Well now...  I sprung for a kit that I was wanting to do in time for Halloween. I mentioned it around here somewhere wanting to make it and show it to everyone as a surprise.

I believe, with the kit itself, that I already have everything I need to do it.  So, keep your eyes peeled on Halloween for a special tribute to the Spiffing Whiffing community here at W.I.M.

:lol:

In other news, I actually managed a few solid, good hours of modeling last night working on my flight demonstration team Yak 9  or 7 or whatever it is and also the F-110B Vulture (MiG-27) time travelling and alternate universe/history build. Good stuff. Still have some slight issue with the yak concerning filing things and sanding it smooth but the upper portion is looking pretty glorius and the bottom side is at least 50-70% better than it was.  I'll post updates in the threads at some point. Also managed a few pictures of my resin casting project and I might be working on that, some, too, today.

Cheers,
Brad
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Flyer on October 18, 2016, 11:03:22 PM
I've been tinkering on and off for a while making moulds with play dough and then adding my left over Auto Body Filler to them as I go building other things. Had some shocking results at first that may get used as substructure for other projects, but I also now have two sets of solid usable VB Spitfire wings and some Rufe floats... ;)

Looking forward to seeing what the Halloween build is. :thumbsup: :mellow:

Thanks! It'll be neat.  That's all I'll say.  ;D

Play dough, huh?  Any insight on that?  Any tips or advice you could offer would be great. If I can get this type of things going properly I'd love to make a few masters of things like pontoon floats, weaponry, turbine engines, radomes, etc. 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Flyer on October 19, 2016, 09:41:09 AM
Trial and error is all I can really say, besides the container that I put the play dough into needs to have high walls and be not much bigger than the part I'm trying to mould or otherwise the play dough sinks and looses shape too quickly, the Rufe floats and Spit wings I made in two halves and joined them together with more filler after as I'm still trying to figure out how to make whole parts in one hit, for that I don't think play dough is up to task...

Edit: Also the play dough moulds are single use as the filler sticks to it and pulls out with the part, for the 2 pair Spitfire wings I had to repeat the process 8 times. :o

Bro, release agent. Someone mentioned it over on my U2 thread I think it was..but that might end that type of problem.  Good ol WD40 or something with a light coat. On the part when its mashed into the clay/dough and also before filling the mold with the goop.  At least, I think that's how it's supposed to go.  That's how *I* would do it. Maybe then the stuff won't stick and you might get a couple more uses out of the mold.

When I did my radome, I just jammed the fuel tank into the clay.... but then, pulling that fuzzy bunny back out?!  FORGET ABOUT IT.. I had to "wiggle" in circles before it would come out and in doing so I increased the diameter of the hole a bit.  I'm thinking if I had sprayed the thing with WD-40 ahead of time it would have pulled back out much easier and I woudn't have had the "reaming out" problem. 
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Definitely use release agent! Both in making the mold and when making the part. You don't want these materials to stick together!
I haven't tried playdough. Good for a one time mold. If you have a simple shape you could try plaster. At least you can get multiple parts from it. The two part silicone mold making material is not cheap but this is what its made for.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

By Doug Graves.

Based on "Tomorrow is Yesterday" of Star Trek.

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

That's an IAI Phalcon. I didn't know Chile had them.

I know something about them but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the details................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Don't get yourself into any trouble by any means!   ;D

According to the wiki thing, Chile has this one sole unit. 

I'd never seen one before I saw a pic pop up on my facebook feed a short while ago.  An unusual set of "stuff" on that bird..

I can't help but wonder about that name... "Phal"con...    I suppose it's a mash up of words or something, but still.  :unsure: ;)
-Sprues McDuck-