Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 25, 2017, 05:55:21 AM
Reminds me a little of a TV advert we had over here in the UK. The invading alien force landed to conquer and take over the Earth only to discover they'd got their plans wrong and that they were tiny compared to us humans, rather than the same size  :angel:  ;D

IIRC Douglas Adams has something similar in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

The Lil aliens sound familiar. Sure I've seen some sci fi here and there with that theme.  ;D

The AWACS... lookin at that stuff it would seem 1/2500 TOS Enterprise saucer section and interdorsal fin could be combined and glued on top of similar sized raft as my F-84 here. I had half a mind to snap the Enterprise apart and do just that but then I came to my senses! Still... I'd like to come up with a few dirt cheap 1/2500 Enterprise kits and play around! I think an F-84 AWACS would be neato.
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Why spend money on kits? With a circle cutter - or even one of the drill-mounted hole cutters - you could use some thick card and make one far cheaper and easier, and it would be flat-top and -bottomed, rather than having the Saucer Section's odd domed configuration.

Just a thought, but it would seem an easier option. Even if you had to laminate several 1mm or 2mm slices.

TheChronicOne

I ought to step my game up and try that.  I think the LHS sells this plastic card stuff and hole saws are easy enough to come by.   :lol: 

Been wanting to get to the hobby shop, too, but I'm so BROKE right now!  I  mean, I'm making money, but my business has gotten large enough to the point now where I'm starting to have to deal with the typical problems such as people that are NOT paying their bills yet I still have to pay my one employee, have had to buy $700 worth of new lawn equipment not to mention all the other overhead like fuel and bags, etc..... and then... I have to have money sitting around in case something breaks or if I need to purchase items to do something like irrigation repair. That and I'm trying to save up a few hundred to buy general liability insurance. ANYWAY!!! I hope... I HOPE that people make good on their bills and also that the checks I am expecting get here soon so I can go shopping!!   :laugh: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

TBH, I'd try going to a plastic sheet supplier first - they sell the stuff by the 2.something X 1.something metre sheet, which is a lot cheaper (per square foot) than the hobby store packets.

Usually only in black or white and not the thinner stuff like .010 and .005 thou, but for those the LHS is ok IMHO, as you're using so little of it at a time that it lasts and lasts.

Just a thought.  ;)

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Rick Lowe on May 26, 2017, 05:53:29 PM
TBH, I'd try going to a plastic sheet supplier first - they sell the stuff by the 2.something X 1.something metre sheet, which is a lot cheaper (per square foot) than the hobby store packets.

Usually only in black or white and not the thinner stuff like .010 and .005 thou, but for those the LHS is ok IMHO, as you're using so little of it at a time that it lasts and lasts.

Just a thought.  ;)

I love "buying in bulk" and saving money. Could you recommend an online source that supplies to the U.S.? I could buy one of them big(ger) sheets and then have plenty for when the occasion arrives.
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

I usually go out in person, but if that's not an option or if you're pressed for time, a quick Goggle search found this:

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22883&catid=715

There are probably more.

The reason I like to collect it myself, is I can cut the sheets in two to make transport easier.

HTH  :thumbsup:

zenrat

I used to work with a plumber who used to borrow things to help persuade his debtors to pay up.
The wheels from their car for example.

Perhaps "PAY UP" in flaming letters on their lawn would help?

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Rick Lowe

TheChronicOne

;D ;D  Snatchin the wheels up...that's some gangsta @$#@%.   ;D

I'm tellin you what...   I keep a gallon sprayer of heavy duty round-up-type on hand...    ... . .feast your eyes as my penmanship suddenly improves on a macro level. . .. .  ;)
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

It's a strange sign of success  :-\ The bigger you get then the longer your creditors take to pay, it seems to be an attitude of "they don't need it as badly as a smaller firm". Well they do, cash flow is perhaps the greatest concern of most small/medium sized businesses and of a few large ones  :banghead:

Probably teaching you to suck eggs, but a small discount for early payment ?

Best of luck anyway  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

When I was a building labourer those who were the worst payers were those with the most money.
If you don't have much you plan carefully to make sure you can pay for the work being done whereas those with more would assume they could pay but then find they had cashflow problems "and can you wait until next month.  Had some unexpected expenses come up".

Fred

TheChronicOne

^   Right?!

I think the lesson to be learned here, and one I already knew but foolishly ignored, is to collect the minute I'm done working or ... no work. Typical.. the very first time and very first person I allow to "pay me at the first of the month" goes delinquent. Just like last year when that assclown bought my mower and said he'd pay by the end of the month and then frigging 8 months later the donkey ear has only paid me $10. You just can't trust people to "pay you later." 

So, now, If you don't have the money on hand, then you can sit and spin... mow your own lawn, buy your mower from Wal-Mart, etc. I guess I wanted to test the waters and see if this would work.. but uhh... it'll be a long while before I try it again, if ever.   

Good thing is we have a contract in writing so if I wanted to... I could run this mess through small claims but I'd rather just avoid the hassle, write it off at tax time, and go on about my business. 
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

I was just a monkey but if the organ grinder didn't get paid then we didn't get our peanuts.

You seem relaxed about this and not likely to do anything illegal which is the correct attitude as I doubt they let you build models in the big house.
Fred

TheChronicOne

Yeah I got bigger fish to fry. The hassle and drama of doing anything other than near nothing seems much less desirable than just writing it off.  ;D ;D ;D   I haaaaaaaaate conflict and drama. (guess who's not married.. .. . . . )   ;) ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-