Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

I plan on working on all three of my OKGB builds today. 

I need to show my F-110 some love the most....  Went for the gusto last night on the Spyplane thanks to over consumption of caffeinated soda pop and knocked out a ton of work on that. Really glad because now it's out of the way!  It's not normal for me to work on anything past 10PM and I was up until nearly 2AM getting stuff done. (didn't get to sleep until nearly 6.... kind of rough when the day before I was up by 8).

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Saw this on the Civil Aircraft Models facebook page. No info or credit really given...

It's just plain awesome and I wanted to share it here somewhere...

EDIT:  The initial picture I posted was too large. I replaced it.
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

My first thought was a B-17 whif/kitbash. Now I don't think so.

Checked Wikipedia... PE-8?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

You nailed it...  I went and did a Google search then clicked "images."  Tons of really neat pics! 

I chose to grab this one (no credit or source given, it was from a generic search):

I'm with you;  when I first saw it I was thinking it was some type of B-17 "something or other."   ;D

It's cool......   It's right up there now with the B-15 as "must get kit."  (I wonder if there is one of the PE-8?  )  They bear a resemblance, too! 

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Pe 8 you say. Well the airframe yes but there's something about the engines that look a tad to "modern" to me. I know there were two types of engines used on the Pe 8 so it's probably me just not properly recognising one of the types
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Librarian

I think the Pe8 was both inline and radial engine...Lancaster similarity. The radial variant may have been Tupolev produced.

NARSES2

Just had a quick read up on the Pe 8's engines and it used a fair few during its time, including diesels, radials and in-lines.

I think that boxing is the type with ASh 82 radials ? Apparently they were still being used by the Soviet's for Polar exploration through to the late 50's.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Interesting thought... it just occured to me that I did my first actual WHIF back in 2009! 

I stopped building models for 20 years starting in 1996, but, in 2009 I became really ill and was bed ridden for quite a few weeks...   Wanting something to do I bought two Star Trek kits and whipped 'em up.

One was the Classic Enterprise (that is, technically, a whif too because I painted it in a shade of gray quite  bit darker than what it's supposed to be) and also a Klingon D-7 that I intentionally set out to paint completely different than anything seen prior.

Wound up with this (bonus.... the two sole Trek kits in my stash. Only reason I have them is because they were purchased for like 70% off):

Cheers,
Brad

P.S.  Sorry about the lousy pic. I've already put everything up so it is what it is. 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Hey! Dolls/figurines are scale models.... of people!!  And we all know there are actual model kits out there of people (certainly of Star Trek people!)  so I figure I'd share this.... 

-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 24, 2016, 08:26:11 PM
You nailed it...  I went and did a Google search then clicked "images."  Tons of really neat pics! 

I chose to grab this one (no credit or source given, it was from a generic search):

I'm with you;  when I first saw it I was thinking it was some type of B-17 "something or other."   ;D

It's cool......   It's right up there now with the B-15 as "must get kit."  (I wonder if there is one of the PE-8?  )  They bear a resemblance, too! 

That's the box art from the 1/72 A Model kit of the civilian Pe 8.

A Model also do a military version of the radial engined Pe 8.
Zvezda do a 1/72 Pe 8 but with inline engines.  I have one in the stash and its a lovely looking kit which looks like it should go together well.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 27, 2016, 09:02:33 AM
Hey! Dolls/figurines are scale models.... of people!!  And we all know there are actual model kits out there of people (certainly of Star Trek people!)  so I figure I'd share this.... 

Spock figure is very realistic

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 28, 2016, 12:31:01 AM

That's the box art from the 1/72 A Model kit of the civilian Pe 8.

A Model also do a military version of the radial engined Pe 8.
Zvezda do a 1/72 Pe 8 but with inline engines.  I have one in the stash and its a lovely looking kit which looks like it should go together well.

The radial engined version looks so much more modern than the in-line one it's amazing

TheChronicOne

Hey, Fred! Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to get one of them kits. 
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..