Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Had a reaaaaaally good day getting this place "fixed up!"  :lol:

Man... it looks great in here.. much more organized, so clean, and .....   smoooooth. I'm a huge fan of having a clean and organized space. I accomplished nothing in the way of progress on my three current projects but I'm alright with that. When I do pick them up again, it will be really nice doing so!  :mellow:

Boring, not-much update, but better than nothing!  ;D :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

No no no Brad C.  A tidy bench is a sign of a sick mind...
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on September 27, 2017, 03:54:30 AM
;D

The little sign directly in front of me reads "A CLEAN DESK is the sign of A SICK MIND".

The back of it reads "I CAN BE NEAT, I CAN BE EFFICIENT, But why make everyone else look bad".

The back comment doesn't really apply. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 27, 2017, 05:13:16 AM
;D

The little sign directly in front of me reads "A CLEAN DESK is the sign of A SICK MIND".

The back of it reads "I CAN BE NEAT, I CAN BE EFFICIENT, But why make everyone else look bad".

I keep telling SWMBO that, but she doesn't seem to believe me.  :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 27, 2017, 05:13:16 AM
;D

Having said that, I today felt compelled to tidy up some of the 64,000 used (for modelling purposes) cotton buds and toothpicks that litter my bench.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Haaaa!!!!    Kinda like if I ever wash my work truck, all the grime that holds it together will be gone and it will fall apart.

It was getting bad around here...  mainly, kits and empty-ish boxes. It was to the point I couldn't walk from one end of the room to the other. Trip hazards EVERYWHERE and with this stupid pinched sciatic nerve it just hurts too much contorting, twisting, and climbing over all this nonsense. Not only that... things like this attract the stupid brown recluse so it's a good idea to move things around ever so often just as a general rule.

I imagine I'm going to have a few problems not remembering where I organized things to though.  ;D

As far as an update... well.. since I decided to go full-out on this, I didn't exactly get finished. But, I'm down to not much left so it shouldn't take too much effort to wrap up. I have to run errands today, as well, but I should get back to working on actual projects at some point today.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

You're kidding, surely? They didn't REALLY use that as an acronym, did they?

It'd be much more sensible to reverse the R & the S, it wouldn't be pronounceable but it wouldn't have people writing to the papers.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

No, Kit, it isn't a real space agency.

It's a joke but they seem to have marketing, so I hope some of the profits of their merchandising go into the real agency once it's up & running.

Here: https://mumbrella.com.au/australias-space-agency-gets-arse-474457
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Oh good, thanks for that. I thought my brain had gone into overload for a bit.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

;D ;D

You know, this day and age... I wouldn't be half surprised if it had been "real."

Update.  THIS TIME, I'm actually going to be done with the hobby room re-organize. Last time I did this I "left the last little bit to do tomorrow" and never got back to it.

All I've left now is to put ~20 bagged kits into these nice cardboard boxes and write on top what they are. This should take about 10 minutes...

Then, back to work on the Feathered Serpent (Kukuclcan). I'd like to get the wings on so I can start putty work. The tops of the wings look great... like... barely a gap at all for non-mathcing parts but due to how I cut them, there is a sizeable gap on the bottm.. (pictures later, I promise).  This is neat... today I re-discovered my red Bondo glazing putty that I had bought for just this type of thing.. so.. it will be neat trying it!! I've heard a lot of good things about it from airplane modellers.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Not sure how.. but... I managed to remember nose weight. Kind of too late as I already sealed up the fuselage... but...... before I proceeded further I did manage to remember and boy am I glad I did. This is definitely going to need it.

How do I get it in there?? Tiny bit of space on either side of the seat but the BBs wouldn't fit.... I initally taped a spout on to my glue and was just going to pour the BBs in....

Since that won't work, however, I decided to just drill a hole in the nose (toward the top so it won't come spilling back out).   Good thing I didn't have the nose cone/intake on! 

When I was cleaning the little squiggles off the edges where I drilled, the seam on the nose came apart, so I had to re-glue it. I didn't want to risk touching it so I had to set it down instead of putting weight in..   

At this point I decided to seal up the bottom of the wings since I'll be using the gear bays and gear that came with the Fishbed kit.  Hit a home-run that Airfix did a DAMN fine job molding the doors. They fit BEAUTIFULLY into the gear bay openings...  that's not always the case. Good ol' Airfix though... gave people the option to build this thing with gear up so they aren't all mishapen!!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's that..... you see there all the glue and putty... just will need to sand that away. Simple enough. More problematic are the gaps there.... you can seem them now that they're butted against each other. I mean...  it's not a HUGE gap and it will be on the bottom out of sight..so.. no biggy. Can't wait to try this glazing putty.

I have no clue what I'm going to do next... never built anything like this before so it's a bit weird juggling two sets of instructions along with two sets of everything else.

I think what I might do is trim sprues to clear away "visual clutter" (and file burrs away, to be one step ahead on prep) and then go through and determine the stuff I will NOT be using it and get rid of it all together to decrease confusion. I'll throw all that in the parts stash and will no longer be bothered by it!

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Airfix probably moulded the perfect gear doors as they knew the gear itself was ruddy useless!

I built that kit a decade or so ago, and it had the FLIMSIEST landing gear I've ever seen. Goodness knows how many times I had to glue it back together after taking it to a show and bringing it back broken....  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Glad I dodged THAT bullet!!   

The Fishbed gear *look* nice and stout, thankfully!!!  Like the real stuff... I've learned in recent times that the Soviets really liked strong gear. 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Speaking of gear, it's apparent I'm going to have to modify these.... I'm going to have to turn them into those like on an F/A-18 Hornet...   a couple of angles instead of a straight down strut... so that they "tuck" into the fuselage instead of simply folding up into the wings. A lot easier than trying to cut holes in these Phantom wings and all the rest that goes with it. Beside, this will make this a unique touch for this plane... So far it's either part Fishbed or part Phantom, with this gear, we'll have something on there that is NEITHER!  That's a plus in my book! We're really WHIFFIN now!!!

Got all my parts sorted and organized. Kind of disappointed.. I couldn't find one weapon rail that came with the phantom kit... the one that accomodates 3 GPBs... I really would like to have used those but I'll go with missiles instead. I suppose I could go with an asymmetrical loadout but I simply don't want to. Besides, this will save me a decent chunk of time not having to glue and then PSR on six little hard-to-hold bombs.

Other loadout news... it would seem the Phantom game with a couple of GUN PODS. Makes sense....  I think they're really cool so I'll go with them and throw the external fuel tanks in the stash. Besides, I'll have a centerline tank anyway, so long as it works with the undercarriage and "stance."

Getting pretty stoked about this one...   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-