Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I need some help with math. 

If I stick a 1/72 aircraft on the back of a 1/35 vehicle and we assume the plane is a shrunken down version and in scale with the 1/35 vehicle.... what size does it become?  Close to half, right?  Like, if the plane were 100 feet long, it would now be around....48 feet or so?

I need to know what to multiply by 1 to go from 1/72 to 1/35, I guess...  It has to be in the area of 0.48 or 0.49...

If we were going from 1/72 to 1/36 it would be easier.  :banghead:

-Sprues McDuck-

TomZ

If you divide 35 by 72 you get 0,486111.

In my modelling universe that is close enough to 0,5 to go for the easy way and divide by 2!  ;D

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

TheChronicOne

Works for me!  Thanks. 

Even after my morning coffee sometimes math just makes me question my own thinking/results.

I have a couple oddball kits that I want to force to be "buddies" but don't want it to be too outlandish.  The good part is the plane will be un-manned so reducing the size by half shouldn't be much of a problem. 

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I have no clue what that is!  ;D  (the ZELL)

I'm still a novice...     all I know is I *think* what I want to do is have a smaller "Komet" on the back of a truck. United States got ahold of the Komet and figured it would be good for drones. They scaled it in half and made it into a weapon, etc etc blah blah blah.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Damn that's cool!! Now it's not out of the question to stick all kinds of aircraft on all kinds of stuff. 

Not only that... but it solve some of the problems for my Vatican City Air Force.  lol
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Does anyone know if anyone sells individual or sets of turbine engines?  Like....  1/72 scale turbines off of a 747 or C5 or something ?? I could use about 4 of 'em for up coming hack and slash whif kit-bash scratch-o-rama. I'm going full till on this bad boy..  I'll be sawing things off, moving stuff, adding stuff that isn't supposed to be there, and taking things away that are.

It's going to be nuts. BUT, I need some turbine engines.
-Sprues McDuck-

Librarian

Vaguely remember someone doing some 1/72 podded engine replacements for the S-3 Viking...that's about as close as I can get to your requirements. Maybe see if anyone on this forum has a pair or two to swap ;D.

TheChronicOne

That might work out... the aircraft I'm going to build is 1/200 but it's BIG...  (H4 Hercules). 

The idea is to take the 8 prop engines and throw them into the stash and stick four turbines on the wings. (Might have to put them on the top sides of the wings but I hope not...)   Then I'm going to move the horizontal stabs to the top of the fin to create a T-tail like on Galaxies and Starlifters then I'll have a killer cargo plane. 

I'd like to make it military.... SEA camo...  Vietnam.  Lots of coastline to work with so why not?  Another Idea I had was to turn it into a firefighter.  Lots of high vis yellow and red high lights.  Station it in California to fight all the crazy wildfires they have every year.

:laugh: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

Librarian

Martin Mars to Martin Jupiter ;D. Sounds like a plan and a lot of fun :thumbsup:.

PR19_Kit

There's LOTS of 1/144 scale engines available for airliners about, the best probably being BRAZ Models at http://www.brazmodels.com They're not cheap but they're very good.

You can also get 1/72 engines for C-135s/707s too, both the standard P&W turbofans and the later CFM56s, but I can't for the life of me remember who does them.  :banghead:

[Later] Now I can, it's Flightpath. (That's UK Flightpath, not the US firm with the same name.) Also not cheap but they are BIG! Web page here :- https://www.djparkins.com/home.php?cat=245
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Librarian on November 03, 2016, 01:48:01 PM
Martin Mars to Martin Jupiter ;D. Sounds like a plan and a lot of fun :thumbsup:.

Yeah!! It could go down as a pretty cool lookin airplane if all goes well. I'm ready to "up my game" and see how far I can push my bashing/scratching skills and these Spruce Goose kits are pretty damn cheap for how big the model winds up being (over one foot long).  This'll be some 2017 stuff, though, because as soon as I get a little free time I want to jump into my (better late than never) Halloween build that I was going to do but had to put on the back burner because I ran out of time for various reasons.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 03, 2016, 02:37:47 PM
There's LOTS of 1/144 scale engines available for airliners about, the best probably being BRAZ Models at http://www.brazmodels.com They're not cheap but they're very good.

You can also get 1/72 engines for C-135s/707s too, both the standard P&W turbofans and the later CFM56s, but I can't for the life of me remember who does them.  :banghead:

[Later] Now I can, it's Flightpath. (That's UK Flightpath, not the US firm with the same name.) Also not cheap but they are BIG! Web page here :- https://www.djparkins.com/home.php?cat=245

Awesome!! Lots to look at here...    Heck, the prices are kind of steep but not TOOOOO bad.... and course there's the exchange rate and overseas shipping in my case but the stuff isn't out of the realm of possibility. I'm hoping I land this contract I'm working on then I'll have no problems buying stuff.   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Careful with the jet exhaust! That plane was all wood!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-