Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Got the T-tail built! May need a bit of refining in the way of cleaning up glue and filling in gaps on the bottom but it seems to be alright.

I just hope this thing doesn't wind up looking stupid when all's said and done.  :-\  There's a line to be traversed between something that will look sharp and something that will look like some cheap toy. Fact of the matter is, until this is further along, I just can't figure out which is going on here!  :o ;D ;D

Probably over thinking things again! :rolleyes: ;D

Current state of affairs:

Here's the little blue styrene weapons things that I have no clue what actually are:

Seems to me they were off a WWII era prop fighter??  I think? Still haven't went back through my pictures.

Right now I'm doing clean up work on the canopy frame work. For some reason the paint doesn't want to stick, and when it does stick, when I go back for another coat the wetness of the brush tries to pull the old paint back off the canopy!!!  I think I forgot to wash the thing I guess.  ;D ;D  Weird because I ALWAYS wash and polish up my clear pieces. Not THIS time I guess!

Otherwise on this one I need to let the glue dry up then I think I'll try to smear a bit of putty on the underside of the T-tail up front where I put in my home made spacer thing.   :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Went out to prime the Kukulcan when I noticed....... Barely any wind what so ever!!!

How can I pass this up?! So I grabbed the Mitsubishi and went outside and got the first phase of silver painting done.  :lol:  Good deal! It looks great already. The PSR work confirmed to be good on it, too. WHEW! I gradually build up the coats over the coming days/weeks while I study more research material and gather any further supplies I may need to try to get a great finish.

Back to the KX-81.... looks like the PSR was a smashing success! WHEW!! Two dodged bullets. And, now that it's all one solid piece and one solid color, it's looking pretty good! I want to let it dry up a bit more then I'll come back with a few pictures.  :lol:

EDIT:  Figured out where the weapon tube things came from... my Airfix BF-109G. No idea what they are, though.. rocket launchers?   :unsure:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 16, 2017, 02:18:03 PM

EDIT:  Figured out where the weapon tube things came from... my Airfix BF-109G. No idea what they are, though.. rocket launchers?   :unsure:

Yes indeed.

I had one a zillion years ago and gave it to someone because he wanted those launchers for another job.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Thanks for the confirmation, Kit. Going to slap them on this plane here.. well... I plan to.. after I put the missiles and such on if they "fit" and "look right" I will put them on.

PSR work's all done and it is primed!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

;D ;D ;D

I love posting this crap out on Facebook with VERY minimal description to see how people will react. Never had any negative response, thank God, but I do get some "funny looks" and some strange guesses.

One came immediately followed by the second guess about 3 minutes later....  :

" Looks part Hunter , part Phantom and part Starfighter to me"

"So far:Mig21PhantomHunterBucc..... without Nose cone yet... ;-) "

This is awesome!!! I think I'm on the right track when I have people so confused. I guess the T-tail is throwing people off? The Phantom bit is obvious, a baboon would recognize those wings....  Hunter and Buccaneer, though.....  "close, but no cigar!!!"  ;D ;D

This is too fun... 
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

The T-tail looks a little Bucc-ish, Brad, but not enough for me to call it as such.

Now, not having paid particular attention to this particular build, I'd say Mig 21 & F-4 Phantom but the tail's got me bluffed.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

2/3 on your way to stardom! (Really, you nailed it, as the other 1/3 is a tiny little chip I cut from the Trek kit)

The T-Tail is definitely throwing people off, and I love it, cuz it means I did a decent enough job making something "new."

Or something!

Bear with me I'm about three sheets to the wind right now.

The secret (?) is that the tail planes are from the same Airfix kit as the main wings. I just scribed elevators into them and glued them to the top of the fin. They didn't fit all too well so I delved into my spare parts stash and cut a little spacer piece to go in between the two sections that protruded forward of the fin. I did a lousy job of blending it in to the rest of the tail but after I primed it, it doesn't look all too bad..  :lol:

Aside from the tiny bit of stuff I used as a spacer (from a Star Trek kit), the components are MiG 21 Fuselage and F-4 Phantom wings. It's like a collision between two Vietnam adversaries and instead of a fireball, this contraption emerges.

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Thanks, fellas, good to know I'm on the right track!

Next item up on the agenda, I think, is to plot the camo pattern...  not sure how this is going to go because that particular type of art-ing may be beyond my capabilities. I mean, I'm sure I can make rings on the thing but will they look right? So long story short, be prepared for an alternate camo scheme if everything goes South!! For now, it's on with the topographical map inspired stuff. Good or bad result, should be a hoot either way!  :lol:

NOW.. for this.... I got a C-118 in the mail today and it came wrapped like this:

:o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good ol' 'Merica, baby!!  ;D  But really, who in the hell wraps things to send through the federal mail system in shooting targets?!   ;D ;D  Highly amusing. I wonder if anyone in the postal system even caught on, because at first, it looks like it could be a piece of advertising out of a newspaper for a local mall or something...   it wasn't until I looked closer that I noticed what it was... so I wonder!  ;D ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Paint the model in white undercoat and draw the pattern on with a pencil.
If you don't like it you can (gently) scrub it off or put another coat of white over it.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

TheChronicOne

That's what I was going to try but on the primer. Gonna use your paint by numbers stuff to keep it in order. Been wanting to try it ever since I saw you talk about it them some odd months ago.  I should still be able to see the pencil, if not, I'll spray it with white.

Should be working on this today, in fact, if work doesn't turn into a huge pile of garbage. Here I thought I was going to have a few days in a row off this week and it turns out EACH DAY has lawns and some days have multiple lawns!! It's cool though, I need the money... a whole slew of bills hit this month and also I'm trying to build up Christmas gift money. Of course, I also have to support my model buying...  found a Tu-95 yesterday and it was DEFINITELY in the right price range.. I even talked the ol' boy down $5 so I had to have it.

More coats of ~SiLvEr PaInT~ goin on me NIPPLE PLANE today, too!!  It's looking really cool already.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Pencil will work over grey primer too.  Use a softish pencil.

Do you zen out when you are mowing and get at one with the lawn?  Or do you think about models?
Fred

TheChronicOne

Both! There's usually a point which all that is left of the mowing is back and forth typewriter stripes; I always do the the little small areas, cut outs, and perimeter first... all the "more technical" stuff first so that the easy stuff is at the end. So, when I get into the block of type writer cuts I can turn my brain off and kind of "put it in cruise control"... at this point my mind always wanders and lots of time I am, indeed, ruminatin' on model building! Always good time for brainstorming.

It helps that no matter what time of day it is, it seems to be 4:20 when I get about 70% through a bigger lawn.  ;D ;D

-Sprues McDuck-