Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

OK, plugged up the holes in the wings so I can do fixed gear on this.

LMAO! Maybe I shouldn't have fixed the canopy alignment after all?! Maybe the kit was more accurate than I gave credit for.   :-X ;D ;D

Anyway, here's my handy work. At this point I'm going to let all this dry up probably a good solid two days as the glue is testors blue.

Bonus kit this time is the first model I bought when I got back into modelling again earlier this year. Got this for $0.99 and free shipping on Evilbay. (SCORE!!)   Nothing missing and the decals are in REALLY nice condition.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Works for me!    ;D  Ya know, I never really thought that far into it... but... yeah..  huh...one up, one down. Makes sense.  Should have hit me with all the flight sims i play.

This thing would drive a JMN nuts.

I'm not even putting a cockpit in it. Not a scrap. Nothing.  :mellow:

I like to live life on the ~EDGE~.   LOL

Maybe that's what will make it whif... it's powered and controled purely by ghosts..
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Flyer on September 24, 2016, 07:15:03 AM
:thumbsup:

What is the fit like on the NOVO Sea Venom?

I don't know, she's still on the sprues.

A copious amount of flash is present..  The detail looks pretty nice, though!!  Weird, there are raised and also recessed panel lines.... sometimes even on the same pieces.  LOL... a recessed panel line then 1cm away a raised one.

I noticed the decals come in two options! Great!! I plan on building the Australian version so I'll have the other decals for whiffery dickery dock. 

The canopy... though... uhhh... scale wise the glass would seem to be a couple feet thick.  LOL   :o :rolleyes: :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

From what I've seen of this one, it makes me want to collect them!  I'm pleased as punch about this one and hope it builds well.  Neat subject matter in these Novo kits.

"I'd do it up some other way and also keep the Aussie decals for whiff's, but that's just me. ;D"     Naturally!!   ;D :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Good box art on the Hasegawa Mitsubishi back up there.  Not one i've got in my small (but growing) collection.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Yup... I think that's what caught my eye.  Looks really nice and the Japanese version of sea camo helped some, too.   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Filled in where the gear doors used to be.

Just need to go back over now with a thinner filler to make up the rest of the difference... then I'll sand it back down then.... paint??? I think so???    STOP......CAMO TIME!

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

The Novo Sea Vixen is like the FROG one (probably because it IS the FROG one...) only worse.

The FROG ones had bags of flash and a canopy about as thick as a bridge girder, and the Novo re-pops have even MORE flash. The canopy on my Novo one is just a large blob of clear (-ish) styrene.

Luckily I have a Falcon canopy for it and another re-pop of the kit (by Ventura maybe?) which is a lot better and includes the Falcon canopy as standard.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

@ PR19_Kit :     So maybe I should cancel my plans to collect more if my Venom and your Vixen are both this way....   I don't like dealing with the flash. I can sort of tolerate the 2 feet thick glass on occasion but not a huge fan of it, either. If these two are like that then the rest probably were, too.

On with the OOB Yak practice build... got some camo down (bonus pic of an MC 202 that came with no decals...and I really wanted to build it OOB, I think I have some off a Dewotine that will work but most likely we have yet another whif build coming):

About to paint the blue on the bottom. I decided not to work too much cleaning up where I filled in the gear door. I learned what I did wrong and I know how to solve the problem. The next time I come across this or similar issue I'll know how to handle it.. so... no use in putting more time into this. I got my learning in on that part.

I tried my luck at free handing the canopy frame work. Didn't turn out too bad for ol' shaky here! lmao    It turned out ok and there toward the end I think I fell into a method that will serve me well in the future. It was fun not masking. 

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

What scale is the Macchi mate ? Looks 1/48 but thought I'd check as I can probably help on 1/72 transfers
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 26, 2016, 07:05:18 AM
What scale is the Macchi mate ? Looks 1/48 but thought I'd check as I can probably help on 1/72 transfers

She's 1/72.  That would be awesome! I really like the markings and stuff on this one here.  I want to try that camo scheme real bad as an exercise and it just plain looks pretty to me.  I looked at my DeWoitine model again last night and while the decals are indeed containing versions for an italian build, they are old, discolored, and might not be the correct size. Also missing a lot of what I want to have on mine. 

Much thanks. I should be able to reciprocate with something worthwhile. 
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

If Chris can't help you I should have a set of decals from the Italeri MC202 you can have.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Thank you!  This is awesome being in company with such kind people that are willing to help.

Imagine my surprise; I got ahold of Hasegawa via email and they said, "sure, we can help you out, we can get you a transfer sheet sent over from Japan for $9.99."  That's just way too much..  I understand, though, they make it, ship, etc.. desgin it, etc, acquire the rights to it, etc... etc... and all that costs something but I simply can't plop down 10 bucks for a sheet of decals. I can get on ebay and find the entire kit for within $5 of that then I'd have two planes and one transfer sheet.

Meanwhile, I've heard of other people getting in touch with kit makers and getting sheets or whole sprues sent out for free.  Revell seems to be good about this type of thing, for instance. 
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 26, 2016, 10:16:37 AM

She's 1/72. 

PM me your address mate and I'll get them in the post to you. I have that kit but want to do it in an ANR scheme
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 27, 2016, 06:52:13 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 26, 2016, 10:16:37 AM

She's 1/72. 

PM me your address mate and I'll get them in the post to you. I have that kit but want to do it in an ANR scheme

OK!  Thank you so much!   :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-