Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Exactly... like...  "Ehhhhh..?... OK then, it's your funeral, Sir! "     ;D ;D

You know, this has had have happened at least a couple times due to some fluke of maintenance or something....
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Librarian on November 12, 2016, 12:18:38 AM
Reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLGz692ihAM

HAHAHAHA!   The Juxtoposition of what a serious business the military is with pure GOOFY stuff like that just cracks me up. I wonder just how many tons of oddball stuff has been launched into the sea over the decades. I'm sure there are "regulations" about that sort of thing but if you think they haven't launched a few busted washing machines and toilet stools off the front of an aircraft carrier you just don't understand human nature!!
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

OK! I've made my rounds, now it's time to get down to business. The Spyplane build for the OKGB is slowing down. I have a bit of work to do concerning making paper masks and plotting out the camo pattern but beyond that and other very minor things there's nothing else I can do until I get the paint purchased. 

So, on to the next project. I intended to spring this on everyone as a surprise for Halloween but a number of things conspired to have me nowhere near enough time to get it done so it was put on the back burner. I figure now there's really no need to keep it a secret.   :rolleyes:

The project:

Count Dracula's personal VAMPIRE of the Transylvanian Air Force. Fictional Transylvania, not Romania... won't be any blue yellow and red here... I'm thinking more along the lines of black, grey, and purple... yup, purple.  Will it turn out like a flying turd or will it all work well? I guess we'll see! I only have a vague idea of how I want to get this done at this point. Main thing I need to figure out and get right is the livery. I'm thinking it'll be mainly black and maybe use sparing amounts of purple and grey. We'll see.

As for the rest? Not many modifications to the plane. The kit being used is the spanking new Airfix T.11 with glorious brand new tooling.  All I want to do, really, is add a couple guns, a couple iron bombs, and some video cameras.  Why cameras you ask? Well, seeing as how Vampires are flying this Vampire, they can't have sunlight pouring through the canopy so it will be blacked out. Cameras will be helpful to landing and take off and all that good mess. 
-Sprues McDuck-

Librarian

Love it ;D. Should read Newman's "Bloody Red Baron", sequel to "Anno Dracula". Bloody good alternate toothy history  :thumbsup:.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Librarian on November 12, 2016, 01:03:23 PM
Love it ;D. Should read Newman's "Bloody Red Baron", sequel to "Anno Dracula". Bloody good alternate toothy history  :thumbsup:.
Well now... that sounds fascinating!

Plot[edit]
The book takes place during World War I. It explores the Diogenes Club's efforts to investigate Germany's attempt to make powerful, undead fliers. Heading up the German operations are the likes of Rotwang, Doctor Caligari and Doctor Mabuse. One of their more successful efforts is an undead flier known as the Red Baron. The story also features Edgar Allan Poe as a vampire writer assigned to ghost write the Red Baron's autobiography.

Setting[edit]
The book is set in an alternate history universe in which Professor Van Helsing failed in his efforts to kill Count Dracula. This resulted in a vampire proliferation across the world. The book combines a large number of historical and fictional characters, as did its predecessor, Anno Dracula, and pays tribute to a great many World War I movies and novels.

I'll get my hands on these.  Who knew the Red Barron was undead?!?!?!?    :o ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Sounds good but be carefull not to lean too heavily on black with red trim or it'll look more like Batman's plane than Count Dracula's.  Not that that would be a bad thing.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Only red I will have will be the crossed out  "KEEP OFF" things.   :lol:

Oh, and one other place... I MIGHT put a shark mouth on this... modify it to have long vampire teeth, then put a drop of blood on each.  Likely won't happen, but it's an option play. 

I'm thinking fine purple accent on the wings, MAYBE alternating grey/purple invasion stripes. I want the fins to be grey I think (I plan to put a black and purple decal there that won't show up on black, obvs.

This might be the first time I whip up a concept art thing first.. print out the black and white outline then use colored penciles to dial in the paint job before I get too crazy.  Maybe have you guys give me some input before I proceed.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

First ever Tamiya tape has arrived this morning!! It feels cool just holding the neat little package. I don't what it is about their stuff, but Timiya's wares and packaging just seem to give off an air of quality.

6mm x 18 meters long. I wonder how long it will last. I plan to use it in conjunction with my 3m Scotch Blue painters tape. I'll save this stuff for canopies and doing the edge the pain hits, everything else in the "fields" will be the other tape with paper or whatever. 

I can't wait to try this out. I wish I had the paint already for the Spyplane!
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Roger that. I never imagined myself being so enthusiastic about tape. I'd like to get ahold of some of the 6mm 3m myself.

Damn I hope I land this contract I'm shooting for. I can't wait to hit Hobby Lobby and some supplies stores.   :lol: :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Working on both the 1/48 U-2 Spylane whif for the group build and also this T.11 Vampire for the Transylvanian Air Force.

Getting ready to paint the Pilot and Co-Pilot when the irony hit me......   One of the pilots there is Vlad The Impaler.....    ;) ;) ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

It's safe to say I'm officially under way on this one. I'm through for today, though, so I figured I'd snap a photo if what I'm working on.

Crappy picture but it tells the tale well enough.

Emperor Vlad and Captain Rotwang there are getting prelim paint as is the cockpit stuff.  I'm scratch building some ejection handles.  The cockpit detail is pretty nice for OOB and it sure is nice working on such a new tool. This thing ought to go together really well with a minimum of filling and sanding. It's a good opportunity to practice on my fine detailing since I won't have to deal with hours of that stuff.

Next round of work will be finishing up the pilots and working on more fine detail in the cockpit. I will strive to take a GOOD picture of it when it is done.

Until next time!   :laugh:

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 15, 2016, 12:09:42 PM
Working on both the 1/48 U-2 Spylane whif for the group build and also this T.11 Vampire for the Transylvanian Air Force.

Getting ready to paint the Pilot and Co-Pilot when the irony hit me......   One of the pilots there is Vlad The Impaler.....    ;) ;) ;D

They're undead.  They won't feel a thing.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on November 15, 2016, 04:59:21 PM

They're undead.  They won't feel a thing.

Fair point.... . . . .   ;)... . . ;)    :D  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-